Topic: Viewsonic G tablet "Can't authenticate device"

I purchased the Chumby app last night, installed it, created an account and it seemed to be working fine.

This morning, however, whenever I try to run it, it displays the message "Can't authenticate device".  When OK is clicked, it exits.

This is a G tablet with Vegan beta 4 ROM installed.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, as well as clearing the data using Titanium Backup.

Any ideas?

Re: Viewsonic G tablet "Can't authenticate device"

That message is generated if the application is unable to confirm with the server that the device is activated.

This functionality requires that the device consistently report the same ANDROID_ID, IMEI and/or Wifi MAC address to the application.

Here's what I'd try - go to the website and "delete" the device, then reactivate it.

Thank you for the suggestion. 

Unfortunately, when I attempted to reactivate after deleting the device on the site, it shows the same error message.

Did it present this error message after it asked you for username/password, or instead?

If you could email me your username, I can take a look at your account and see if I can see anything obvious there.

EDIT: OK, I see your account, investigating...

OK, I simulated the ID of your device using my HTC G2 phone, and it worked perfectly.

One quick question - is the time and timezone set correctly on the device?

Are you connected through Wifi?

Can you reach www.chumby.com from the browser on the device?

Date, time and timezone are set correctly.
I am connected through WiFi, and I am able to load www.chumby.com on the browser on the device.

Thanks!

Wow, that's weird.  We've made no changes to the server, nor have we released a new version of the app since Monday.

Do you have the ability to capture logcat output on the device?

Please force close the app and relaunch it.  There may have been a server issue that might have affected this.

9 (edited by KorbenD 2010-12-23 15:42:59)

Ok, slightly different behavior now.  It will run and get past authentication, but now it shows a blank gray screen no matter what app is running.

Edit:
It will show Authorizing, then Authenticating, then Loading Current Channel.  After that it's a blank screen.  Interface works, I can open the menu and select any option, but the display remains blank.

Can you try "add app", then select a category, then an app, then the menu item "preview".

This sounds like Flash Player not being happy.

I assume other Flash sites are working?

Ok, selecting preview would bring up a black screen.

I removed and reinstalled Flash, but tested it beforehand with Youtube and Firstshowing and it was working fine.

Finally started up Clockworkmod and wiped the cache partition, and it worked when it restarted.

Odd . . .

Thanks for the suggestions, it pointed me to what finally got it working.

It is always a good idea to go in to CWM and delete the main cache and the Dalvik cache (in advanced menu) when you switch ROMs on a rooted Android device.  If you don't you can get all sorts of weird random issues.  Sometimes depending upon the apps you use you may also have to run the 'Fix Permissions' script in CWM or even wipe data (though I haven't had to do that with Flash or the Chumby app).

BTW, I work at Chumby and my Android tablet is a gtab running vegan-b4, so you should be in pretty good shape in terms of having the app run on your system (since if there are any issues on this platform, I'll bug Duane about it and/or fix the issues myself) as long as you keep the caches clean when changing between different ROMs.  I sometimes also run CM6x on my gtab, and that also works well as long as you nuke the cache between swaps.

I am having this same problem with a rooted Galaxy Tab 10.1

I have tried the following steps:
Remove and reinstall app
delete and recreate device at chumby.com
Ran "Fix Permissions"
deleted Dalvik Cache and Main Cache
removed and reinstalled app after all of the above

In my browser the app previews look fine, in the chumby app I get no errors but all apps show a black screen.