Topic: Specs | VGA output board | Solar panel as a power source

Hi all,
where can I find hardware specs for a Chumby hacker board? I'm interested in connecting 2.5" HDD to the one of USB ports and unsure about it's capabilities.
I've seen messages earlier about possible VGA output via R2R riser board. Will it support a higher resolution, other than 640x480?
And, what it's more peculiar, has someone else tried to use solar panel as a power source to feed CHB?

Thanks

Re: Specs | VGA output board | Solar panel as a power source

You can find technical information about the board here.

There's no reason to believe that a solar panel could not drive the device, assuming it provides the necessary power.

Actually, I expected hardware specs to be smth. like Intel does (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18358/e … odSpec.pdf). But looking at schematics PDF gives some insights too.  Anyway, thanks for it.

BTW, LCD touchscreen from original Chumby is compatible w/ CHB?

It should be compatible with the touchscreen from the Chumby One.

Duane wrote:

It should be compatible with the touchscreen from the Chumby One.

I'm guessing this means electrical and software compatibility. The LCD I've seen available as a Chumby One screen came with a ribbon connection that appears to be physically incompatible with the header on the hackerboard. But I would love to be wrong about this.

You may be right - this is really a question for bunnie to answer - I don't have a hacker board handy.

@bbotany,

Check out Bunnie's blog: http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?page_id=236

He does talk about an adapter board he made to handle a vga display.  Though this may not be the same as the hacker board,  the blog entry does show the pin outs and discusses the process of attaching a different display.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Joe,
I've seen this post earlier. However, I found no direct explanation how to attach the screen - they are available as refurbished products so it would be nice to attach one of them to CHB.

9 (edited by jpitz31 2010-12-03 11:51:28)

Anton,

AdaFruit is in the process of writing some tutorials on the hacker board.  This is what they have currently for vga:

http://wiki.ladyada.net/chumbyhackerboard/vga

If this does not help, you can always email Bunnie.

Thanks

Joe

Yep, 'Bunnie' said some days ago that adafruit is preparing this kind of a board . I'm just concerned about any stuff I can connect to CHB before I decided to purchase it :-) So, I wait when it'll be ready.

I wish it had at least one phy-interface (ethernet-port) someday. I know, know - I can connect USB2ethernet, or USB2WiFi extenders, but straight port is always better ;-)

Anton,

Then you should really check out the beagleboard XM.  It has a Ethernet port and runs at 1 GHz.  Also there are several android ports running on it.  I have the TI version of Android running on my board.

Thanks

Joe

Joe,
some sources say there's a problem with CPU overload, when USB 2.0 ports are being heavily used. Moreover, USB ports and Ethernet are controlled via one IC, which is controversial solution.

The price is competitive though - 150$ for 512 MiB of RAM. The nearest rival is Pandaboard :-)

Anyway, CHB seems to be the right choice for me.