Re: Using Chumby offline

Here's what I did:

* added the "<mode time..." parameter - works!
* split up Christian's onoff.sh in two online.sh and offline.sh to clearly differentiate. Created one "My Streams" entry for each to trigger both as needed. Added two lines in the crontab to go offline shortly before the WLAN dies and go online again after it is restarted. Works!
* modified the time sync entry in the crontab by the way to resync every two hours while in online mode.

I am still missing the ability to switch channels. I thought about a script replacing profiles.xml and restarting the control panel, but that seems to be a bit odd. Even after switching to online, I still end up having my local channel only. I can call Shoutcast etc., but have no way yet to switch to the chumby.com channels.

I changed the parts of the rausb0 in the debugchumby to wlan0 for the chumby one but I still am unable to get this to work.  Any suggestions?  It copys over the hosts file just fine but then it restarts the control panel and asks which network to connect to.  Then if I try to select a preconfigured wifi point that I am near it will fail to connect saying:

rausb0 not found
rausb0 interface down
rausb0 link down
rausb0 no ip

When I reboot the device without the usb it will connect to the network, no rausb0 errors.  Any suggestions?

Christian...can you gather the various changes, incorporate and repost for everyones benefit?

Thanks,
Tom

hello.

i just found this info for using the chumby one without connection to internet.

is there an easy way to do? has anyone working files on usb and will upload them?

I am sorry that I still haven't updated my files yet. I hope that I will have time next weeks, but at the moment I am a bit short on time...

Christian wrote:

I will have time next weeks

thanks a lot.

please write a short info here in the thread and i will be informed

Hi,

I'm also stuck and unable to go to offline mode with my Chumby One

This means I can copy widgets to the usb stick and  can configure the chumby such, that it fetches the swf files from it.

After haviing started up I can even go offline.

This is already nice for me, as the chumby would continue working even when the network would go down for a certain time.

However I'd like to give a chumby as a present.
This person does have no internet access and even no local network. So he could never start the chumby with my current setup.

What could I be doing wrong:

my debugchumby:
#########
#!/bin/sh
killall httpd
/usr/sbin/httpd -h /mnt/usb/www
cp /mnt/usb/www/hosts.offline /psp/hosts

iwconfig wlan0 mode Ad-Hoc essid chumbynet key AAAA-1111-22
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.2.255
mkfifo /tmp/cmd.fifo
tail -f /tmp/cmd.fifo |/bin/bash &
############

Files on /mnt/usb are:

controlpanel.swf
debugchumby
www/hosts.offline
www/hosts.online
www/cgi-bin/onoff.sh
www/crossdomain.xml
www/xml/chumbies/index.html
www/xml/authorize
www/xml/profiles # lists widgets with file:// url from www/xmlmovies
www/xmlmovies # with my widgets

contents of www/hosts.offline:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost chumby.com www.chumby.com xml.chumby.com

I also made sure, that all files have unix line endings.

Any help is really aprreciated

I

Hello everyone!

Sorry for being so quiet in the last months. I now have worked a little bit on my offline-hack and have uploaded a new version. This new version should completely ignore the chumby-configuration and doesn't touch any file on the chumby, so it should be undo-able just by removing the stick and reboot. Therefore I have removed the onoff-stream, because you just need to reboot now.

It would be great if some chumby classic owners could test it. If it works well I will update the first post with the news.

chumby-offline.2.0.zip
(Be sure to read the readme.txt)

Christian

Great, thanks! I will try that right away - no more fiddling with "My streams"... ;-)

Danke, Christian!

I must reduce my euphorism - does not work well on my Chumby one. Audio is muted completely. I went back to the previous version I modified myself. My debugchumby is this - if anyone can make use of it:

killall httpd
/usr/sbin/httpd -h /mnt/usb/www
cp /mnt/usb/www/hosts.offline /psp/hosts

iwconfig rausb0 mode Ad-Hoc essid chumbynet key AAAA-1111-22
ifconfig rausb0 192.168.178.21 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.178.255

It is really cool.Nice job.

u063096 wrote:

does not work well on my Chumby one. Audio is muted completely.

I think the chumby one will need some different settings in the psp-folder. You can try and start the chumby without the stick, copy the whole /psp directory from the chumby to your stick except the hosts-file and then try booting with the stick again.

Thanks Christian,
Seems to be running good on my Infocast 3.5"...at least the widgets play as well as mystreams (both sources local on my LAN).

I did notice one thing though...it seems like the clock overlay format isn't working.
Is this the control panel version with that problem?

I'll try and find the time tomorrow to grab the latest control panel and see if that takes care of it.

Thanks for your effort; this will really help keep my chumby classic and infocast 3.5" from being a clock brick when my internet connection goes down.

Thanks for your feedback, PlugNickel.

I never used the overlay clock, so I didn't test it, but I do not think my hack should interfere with it. It is possible that I missed an update, so If there was a version in which the overlay clock was broken there is a good chance that it's the one I am using smile

Chuckle...yes, it seems that you got the control panel with this clock overlay bug...
I grabbed the latest control panel off of my classic and the clock overlay works as it should.

ok, I have updated the control panel to the current stable and included the current beta, if anyone wants to test it.

Hello Christian,
Yes, your update works right out of the box on the Classic insofar as the things I use i.e. my widgets, alarms, clock overlay, and mystreams audio; I haven’t tested everything of course but I expect that it all works.

I also tried it on my Infocast 3.5” and it worked as well.

I guess I failed to mention that in order to get the audio (my streams) to work for the Infocast, I did have to copy all the missing normal Infocast psp directory files into the offline thumb drive psp folder (without replacing any of your original files).

Looks good and works great!

Thanks again

I have a Chumby One and Infocast 3.5" running offline. (I refreshed the psp dir as suggested.) Actually just mostly offline, I put some widgets on there that will use the network if it's up.

I created a script to generate the profile.xml file for the widgets I pulled down. It was still a bit painful to download these and hunt down the params.  I was thinking there might be a better approach.

Does anyone know if the the normal online Chumby pulls a profile.xml (or equivalent) from the chumby website? If so, could we pull this xml file up via a browser to gain easier access to the widget list/params we were using when connected?

Thanks,
Chris

Anyone here who succeeded to use more than one channel in offline mode?

cduesman wrote:

Does anyone know if the the normal online Chumby pulls a profile.xml (or equivalent) from the chumby website? If so, could we pull this xml file up via a browser to gain easier access to the widget list/params we were using when connected?

Yes, the chumby normally pulls the xml from the Chumby Webserver. You can download the file with your web browser using this url:

http://xml.chumby.com/xml/profiles?id=[cannel id]&chumby_id=[chumby id]
u063096 wrote:

Anyone here who succeeded to use more than one channel in offline mode?

I think this is not possible with the build in webserver, so you would need to include a full webserver.

I'm glad to hear that more than a couple of people had success with Christian's offline utility in chumby one as well as the infocast 3.5;  I however have an infocast 7";  I made it work with limited capabilities on my device;  I however have a different issue;  Although I don't want the internet dependency, I still want to have the LAN-wifi enabled and get an IP address from my wifi router;  This way, I can stream music or watch photos from my network drive;  Any suggestions are appreciated.

cow009 wrote:

I still want to have the LAN-wifi enabled and get an IP address from my wifi router

This shouldn't be a problem. Just enter the right network settings and the chumby should connect to the network. At least with my chumby classic this works without problems. The only difference to the "normal" usage should be that the control panel accepts EVERY network settings whether they are right or wrong.

Christian wrote:
cow009 wrote:

I still want to have the LAN-wifi enabled and get an IP address from my wifi router

This shouldn't be a problem. Just enter the right network settings and the chumby should connect to the network. At least with my chumby classic this works without problems. The only difference to the "normal" usage should be that the control panel accepts EVERY network settings whether they are right or wrong.

I can confirm that for a Chumby One - no problem accessing the local net.

Hello Christian and u063096,

I'm still having a bit of struggle with my Insignia Infocast 8".  Could you please let me know some more details about the offline 2.0 download?  What I noticed is that in the debugchumby, there are no lines to change the /psp/hosts file from the default one;  How does this happen in your newer release?

Also, assuming my wifi has an internet connection, would the behavior be different than if the wifi had lost the internet connection?

Initially, after the touch screen initialization, if it asks for configuring network, and if you press 'Cancel' does it by default turn off the wifi, all together?

Finally, do we need 'any' part of the chumbyoffline 1.1 version files to be copied to the chumbyoffline 2.0 directory?  (From what I understand, offline 2.0 is self sufficient.)

Currently with the offline 2.0 in the USB stick the device is booting up to a blank screen;  Once I start my own flash player through SSH, I can see the red clock app for a brief second or two prior to it going to my custom swf;

Thank you for your time;

cow009 wrote:

I'm still having a bit of struggle with my Insignia Infocast 8".  Could you please let me know some more details about the offline 2.0 download?  What I noticed is that in the debugchumby, there are no lines to change the /psp/hosts file from the default one;  How does this happen in your newer release?

The magic things are done in debugchumbyearly: The script mounts the folder "/mnt/usb/psp" to "/psp", so every operation on "/psp" is redirected to /mnt/usb/psp", where the hostfile and everything else is already prepared.

cow009 wrote:

Also, assuming my wifi has an internet connection, would the behavior be different than if the wifi had lost the internet connection?

Initially, after the touch screen initialization, if it asks for configuring network, and if you press 'Cancel' does it by default turn off the wifi, all together?

I don't know exactly, but I think if you cancel it doesn't even try to build up a connection.

cow009 wrote:

Finally, do we need 'any' part of the chumbyoffline 1.1 version files to be copied to the chumbyoffline 2.0 directory?  (From what I understand, offline 2.0 is self sufficient.)

No, everything needed is included. I included the 1.1 guide just for documentary reasons only.

cow009 wrote:

Currently with the offline 2.0 in the USB stick the device is booting up to a blank screen;  Once I start my own flash player through SSH, I can see the red clock app for a brief second or two prior to it going to my custom swf;

I know very less about other chumby devices then the classic one, but I think I read some days ago somewhere in the forum that the control panel of a classic chumby may not be compatible with the Infocast 8". If this is true, you need to replace the controlpanel.swf on the stick with a suitable one for your device.

Christian