Topic: Screen saver won't stay on my channel

I've tried the new Chumby screen saver on two PCs: One Windows 7 x86 virtual machine, and one Windows 7 x86 laptop. Both run the screen saver just fine, and I've registered it with my account.

However, the screen saver will not stay on my chosen custom channel. Each time the screen saver runs, it runs through my channel maybe once (or maybe less that one complete time) and then goes back to the default demo channel.

I just played around with it and may have found a reason: The default Chumby channel comes up OVER my Chumby channel. So basically the screen saver comes on over the other screen saver for some reason, which I'm not sure of. So I can exit out of the demo screen saver and then my screen saver is running in the background. Very weird.

More testing to come.

Re: Screen saver won't stay on my channel

OK, thanks - we'll look into it.

I just tried changing the channel in the screen saver settings, and now my channel won't come up at all anymore when the screen saver runs. It's defaulting to the demo channel every time.

Does it matter where I put the .scr file?

I had it on the desktop. It was set as the screen saver for Windows, then I switched to another screen saver. When I went back to the Screen Saver settings, the Chumby option was gone so I had to "Install" it again and re-register with the Chumby network.

But it still won't load my custom channel. Not anymore, not even once. It defaults to the demo channel every time.

Last reply for now: If I choose to "Preview" the screen saver it shows my channel. If the screen saver runs on its own, it defaults to the demo channel every time.

OK, thanks for the additional info.  We'll see if we can reproduce this.

joelsef wrote:

Does it matter where I put the .scr file?

It doesn't matter where you put the .scr, but you do have to install it from the right-click context menu.  Once the .scr is installed, you can delete the .scr itself.  If you run the .scr manually, it will run unconfigured (.  Once you've configured the screen saver, you should only run the screen saver via "Preview" in the Windows Screen Saver settings screen, or by letting Windows launch the screen saver automatically.

Note that if you launch the .scr manually after you've installed it, when Windows needs to start the screen saver, it will (as you suggested) run the installed screen saver on top of your manual execution of the .scr.

I'm suspecting that you've somehow installed the screen saver more than once and managed to configure one of the installations, though Windows is launching the wrong installed instance.  I'm still attempting to reproduce this...

I have been right-clicking to install it, so I think I got that part right. :-)

If I delete the .scr file, the option for the Chumby screen saver disappears from the Screen Saver control panel. So maybe it's not installing properly in the first place?

Can you try deleting the screen saver by following these instructions?  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind … reen-saver

Also, do you see multiple instances of the chumby screen saver installed when you follow those instructions?  If so, delete them all.

Once the screen saver has been uninstalled, delete all activated screen savers from http://www.chumby.com/mychumby and then install the .SCR and reactivate the screen saver from the screen saver Settings screen.

I do not see any Chumby screen savers on the Uninstall programs control panel.

I removed the activated screen savers from the Chumby site and reinstalled the .scr. Then I activated it again. Same results. My channel never comes up except in Preview mode.

Interesting...if I right click the .scr file and choose "Test" it runs my channel.

I tried it on a fourth PC with Windows 7 32-bit. Same thing. I can register with my Chumby account and preview my channel. But when the screen saver comes on it shows some demo channel. Seems like a different demo channel than last week. But anyway, it's not my channel and I can't get my channel to run except in preview/test mode.

Also, the screen saver does not show up in the Uninstall programs list in the Control Panel, even though I have supposedly installed it.