Topic: Skype?!

Would it be possible to create a Skype widget?

Would plugging a webcam into one of the usb ports for video/audio work?

Re: Skype?!

Skype is a close, proprietary program - only they can do it, so it's up to them.

One could attach a USB webcam, but you'd also need to find and build the appropriate Linux drivers for it.

Thanks for the fast reply!

I sent a suggestion o Skype that they build a widget for the Chumby.

Someone more skillful than me will need to build the drivers for the webcam!

If I have found the drivers for the webcam, how do you install them?

The drivers would have to be compiled with our toolchain for ARM as loadable modules.

You'd then put them on a USB dongle, mount the dongle, and use "insmod" to load them into the kernel and add the device nodes in /dev as needed.

At that point, you'd need some sort of application to pull images from the webcams into whatever form you wish - jpg, etc.

It looks like Skype has opened up some of there APIs through there new developer site at developer.skype.com Even with the API for Skype, can Flash terminate a call?

Atoshi wrote:

It looks like Skype has opened up some of there APIs through there new developer site at developer.skype.com Even with the API for Skype, can Flash terminate a call?

It looks like this API is called Skype Kit and is currently in a closed beta. There's code available for embedded Linux, Mac, and Windows. Chumby may have better luck accessing the closed beta than regular flash app developers, but eventually this will open up to everyone. The question I see is if the Flash environment on Chumby will be able to function as a Skype client, or if this would take deaper integration with the Linux OS.

I'm not a very good coder, so any thoughts on this is appreciated.