Topic: I need to get a video camera onto my infocast.

I just bought an infocast and put it in my car.  Now I want to add rear video camera functionality to my vehicle with the infocast as the medium. any ideas? I have power and ambition.

Heres where I'm at.  I installed an inverter straight to the battery, and the inverter powers an acp battery backup device which my infocast is plugged into.  the apc is so when the car starts and the starter sucks all the juice from the battery, the apc kicks in and the infocast doesnt reboot.  I put a double din custom face in my tacoma, the deck with the aux in is on the bottom, and the infocast slides perfectly into the space above, and i mean perfectly.  the only hazard was the stereo out on the side, so i instlled a 1/8" plug into the back of the unit, and removed the existing one.  now with my cellphone as a wifi spot, i can tke my infocast with me everywhere I go, so perfect and good looking in my truck.  plus the apps in a car environment are cool, i put on the candle app with my girlie in my ride...  anyhow, i need a rear video cam and it would be flippin sweeet to have it on the infocast, some way at all to play live video locally. if you have any ideas, hit me up please.

Re: I need to get a video camera onto my infocast.

as for a product suggestion, 3g enabled with base that was designed to be able to fit into a car stereo spot would be sick.  give me a % of the profits kay?  I've created my situation through great pains in all the wiring and research and such, but it was all worth it to be able to rely on the infocast on the road.  great for beach, i primarily use mine as a better looking media organizer than my cellphone in my vehicle.

Some USB cameras can be supported, but it looks like the drivers aren't enabled by default.  A shame.  If you've got a USB camera lying around and want to give it a shot, you can try building a kernel, or I can build the modules and post them somewhere.

Then a gstreamer pipeline could route the video from the camera to the screen.

to post something would be awesome.  i do have an extra usb cam laying around and the closest thing i can do with kernals is eat popcorn. where are some good resources to start to understand what it is you speak of, i would love to learn, i would also love to download wht it is you speak of...

Try silvermoon-cam-modules.sh.  It's a bit of a hack, but it does the following:

1. Mount / as read-write

2. Move the existing kernel modules directory to /mnt/storage

3. Move /lib/libgphoto2-2.4.3 to /mnt/storage and make a symlink

4. Extract a new set of kernel modules

5. Rebuild kernel dependencies

6. Mount / as readonly

I had it move libgphoto2-2.4.3 because (1) I'm not sure it's actually used, and (2) on a fresh, non-updated device there's a chance that leaving it there will cause it to run out of inodes.  You shouldn't need to reboot to get the camera working.

To remove the patch, run the following:

mount -oremount,rw /
cd /lib/modules/2.6.28-M2.1.8.12
rm -rf kernel
mv /mnt/storage/kernel-old kernel
depmod -a
mount -oremount,ro /