Topic: BB8: Software Updates

Does anyone have an idea where I can go read up regarding the subject updates?  The 'official' page is bereft of useful information.

The Insignia Customer Support page is worthless, and I know they're not writing the software, regardless... so perhaps a helpful Chumbian can answer my inquiry?

Re: BB8: Software Updates

I'm not sure what you're asking for.

I think he wants more information about any software updates for the device. We all want to know when the goodies we want will make it into a build and into our homes.

Ah - well, that's a problem, then.  We can't speak for Best Buy.

Actually, I'd just like to know what was included in the updates we've already received.

Got one today.

No idea what changed.

I find that troublesome.

See if the Insignia Forms can help...
http://community.insigniaproducts.com/t … raphoto-en
The Insignia model number for the BB8/Infocast is NC-DP8CH
There is also some questions here too...
http://community.insigniaproducts.com/t … ovation-en

hope this is helpful, Matt

JonathanMurray wrote:

Does anyone have an idea where I can go read up regarding the subject updates?  The 'official' page is bereft of useful information.

The Insignia Customer Support page is worthless, and I know they're not writing the software, regardless... so perhaps a helpful Chumbian can answer my inquiry?

I know my BB8 did one update about 10 min after I first got it and connected to my WLAN.
What version are you running?
Mine is 3.1.21

JonathanMurray wrote:

Actually, I'd just like to know what was included in the updates we've already received.

Got one today.

No idea what changed.

I find that troublesome.

Well, so far, there haven't been any user-facing changes - they've all been internal bug fixes.

I'll inquire about how Release Notes might be made available - it's not our product, so it's a bit out of our hands.

Duane wrote:

Well, so far, there haven't been any user-facing changes - they've all been internal bug fixes.

I'll inquire about how Release Notes might be made available - it's not our product, so it's a bit out of our hands.

Once again going beyond the call of duty...
Thanks man!

Duane wrote:

Thanks, it looks like someone is starting to  provide feedback in the insignia forum, too.  Maybe we'll get a good line on who is supporting the device. smile

11 (edited by wkearney99 2010-07-01 04:26:30)

I think many long-time chumby users have some concerns about how support for the BB8 is different than what we've enjoyed from chumby for it's own devices.  Hopefully things will smooth out over time. 

Whoever has written the interface on the BB8 has done a nice job.  It's really pretty well thought out.

Hmmm...If the BB8 isn't a Chumby product. Then who wrote the software? Who is responsible for writing new features/fixes. I have a hard time believing that this device was sent out into the market in free run mode.

burkhardi wrote:

I know my BB8 did one update about 10 min after I first got it and connected to my WLAN.
Mine is 3.1.21

Currently running 3.1.21 also; I received an update the first day, and another the second.  Didn't check version numbers as it went, though.

abarron wrote:

Hmmm...If the BB8 isn't a Chumby product. Then who wrote the software? Who is responsible for writing new features/fixes. I have a hard time believing that this device was sent out into the market in free run mode.

This is Best Buy's product - we wrote the software, but they determine the feature set.

We fix bugs, but they determine the schedule under which they're released (though we some have input on that).

JonathanMurray wrote:
burkhardi wrote:

Mine is 3.1.21

Currently running 3.1.21 also; I received an update the first day, and another the second.  Didn't check version numbers as it went, though.

I only caught one update, so I guess the BB8 will update w/o user prompt? Since I have 3.1.21 I assume so. I wonder what was addressed?

16 (edited by Joan Jett 2010-07-04 10:08:44)

Duane wrote:
abarron wrote:

This is Best Buy's product - we wrote the software, but they determine the feature set.

We fix bugs, but they determine the schedule under which they're released (though we some have input on that).

Bless you Duane. You guys are handling this interesting situation really well. I'm betting that prior to contracting your 'chumby os' as it were to hardware vendors, *someone* must have had a talk with BestBuy to discuss the 'typical' expectations of us geeky users. Something along the lines of " You know they are going to ask questions and have expectations about this thing that you've never even thought of!"

I watched something similar go on @ Reciva. Best of luck......

PS, if the device proves popular enough for BB, to support it, then perhaps they can contract your support services. Somehow I don't think their usual tech support will make it for this crowd

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

+1 on the "you know they are going to ask..." comment. 

I really dislike that this unit doesn't have the events capabilities found in the regular chumby units.  Enough so that it's put the purchase of several on hold and discouraging recommending it to others.

Hi there,

Just want to thank Duane for answering so many questions on behalf of Best Buy.  We clearly see two sets of users for this device, the techies and the early adopters in the mass market.  Obviously our job is to cater to both, but we will definitely be leaning heavily on our good friends at chumby for the techies.  Believe it or not, I have been working with chumby on this device for close to two years and we are really excited about learning from our customers and incrementally improving the software.  It seems clear we  missed the alarm clock/event infrastructure and a few other smaller items, so we will be working with chumby to add new features and bring new content to the device.

Thanks,

Digitaldel
Insignia CTO

19 (edited by BoloMKXXVIII 2010-07-10 04:34:30)

digitaldel wrote:

Hi there,

Just want to thank Duane for answering so many questions on behalf of Best Buy.  We clearly see two sets of users for this device, the techies and the early adopters in the mass market.  Obviously our job is to cater to both, but we will definitely be leaning heavily on our good friends at chumby for the techies.  Believe it or not, I have been working with chumby on this device for close to two years and we are really excited about learning from our customers and incrementally improving the software.  It seems clear we  missed the alarm clock/event infrastructure and a few other smaller items, so we will be working with chumby to add new features and bring new content to the device.

Thanks,

Digitaldel
Insignia CTO

The event timer (not just alarm) IS a big deal. I also think a dedicated blog or at least a dedicated page for the Infocast would be very helpful. Just my $0.02

Overall I think you all did a fine job with the Infocast.

BTW, did you push another update recently?

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Yes, we definitely heard the event/alarm functionality is missing.  Duane, can we set up a unique section on the chumby forum for the Infocast?  We are attempting to set one up on Insigniaproducts.com, but as mentioned previously I think we are talking about two different kinds of users.

Thanks

Just my 2-cents worth, but I rather have all if us Infocast/BB8 users (both types if users) in one place to avoid confusion and such. Plus us power users can help the newbies if we are all in one location. I also would be worried that people might get confused since Chumby is not calling the shots or making the decisions here, they are just the contracted software people and I assume everything has to go through Insignia first anyway. So it would be unfair (IMHO) to put the cost of ownership in their court if they are just the middle man (or "middle people" to be PC...LOL). Please don't take my reply here the wrong way, I know your main goal is to help up and I truly appreciate that (as well as your enthusiasms too), I am just thinking out loud here.

On the other hand, if there was a section here (on the Chumby forum) that was just meant to keep the confusion between a Chumby branded device and an Infocast branded device and there was just basic support with a obvious post, sticky or sub-forum announcement that all feature requests, bug and so on be brought up at the Infocast forum on Insignia's site, that would be good too.

At a minium, I would love to see a link up by the Sony Dash link on the Chumby forum site that links to the Insignia Products Infocast area (once Insignia adds one to their existing forum line up).

Back to my first point, take the Insignia Forum for example, not Insignia's forum (the Insignia Products people) but the http://www.insigniaforums.com site, that was confusing to me and I thought they were affiliated with Insignia until I looked further. I am glad I didn't waist my time there.

In closing, I am just thinking out loud and I am still very impressed with both the Infocast and the willingness that Insignia is showing us too (dgitaldel, Nicolas, John and Gonzola from the InsigniaProduct support forum).
THANK YOU!

digitaldel wrote:

Yes, we definitely heard the event/alarm functionality is missing.  Duane, can we set up a unique section on the chumby forum for the Infocast?  We are attempting to set one up on Insigniaproducts.com, but as mentioned previously I think we are talking about two different kinds of users.

Thanks

burkhardi wrote:

Just my 2-cents worth, but I rather have all if us Infocast/BB8 users (both types if users) in one place to avoid confusion and such. Plus us power users can help the newbies if we are all in one location. I also would be worried that people might get confused since Chumby is not calling the shots or making the decisions here, they are just the contracted software people and I assume everything has to go through Insignia first anyway. So it would be unfair (IMHO) to put the cost of ownership in their court if they are just the middle man (or "middle people" to be PC...LOL). Please don't take my reply here the wrong way, I know your main goal is to help up and I truly appreciate that (as well as your enthusiasms too), I am just thinking out loud here.

On the other hand, if there was a section here (on the Chumby forum) that was just meant to keep the confusion between a Chumby branded device and an Infocast branded device and there was just basic support with a obvious post, sticky or sub-forum announcement that all feature requests, bug and so on be brought up at the Infocast forum on Insignia's site, that would be good too.

At a minium, I would love to see a link up by the Sony Dash link on the Chumby forum site that links to the Insignia Products Infocast area (once Insignia adds one to their existing forum line up).

Back to my first point, take the Insignia Forum for example, not Insignia's forum (the Insignia Products people) but the http://www.insigniaforums.com site, that was confusing to me and I thought they were affiliated with Insignia until I looked further. I am glad I didn't waist my time there.

In closing, I am just thinking out loud and I am still very impressed with both the Infocast and the willingness that Insignia is showing us too (dgitaldel, Nicolas, John and Gonzola from the InsigniaProduct support forum).
THANK YOU!

digitaldel wrote:

Thanks

Well said.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

One way to check if there is an update is to hold your finger to the touchscreen while its off then turn it on. There are some special options like factory reset and update (either through the internet or an usb)

digitaldel wrote:

Thanks

Thanks for listening and responding.  I too am holding back from placing one of these in each room of my house until I see some minor fixes as mentioned. 

Also when I can write a widget or app to allow control of Home Automation, specifically control of MiCasaVerde's Vera unit through the Infocast.  It seems like it could be a fairly easy task and would encourage a significant boost in sales when that whole market of Home Control geeks wants a cheap, but elegant control point like the Infocast.

I love my new Infocast so far, even with the minor short-comings and I also like the look of it.  It is clean and badgeless for the most part, well done!!!!!