Re: YouStreams-Widget

Duane wrote:

You should not have a problem with reformatting the flash drive.  I use a Mac and build and install stuff on my chumbies all the time.

On the Mac, "MS-DOS" and "FAT32" are the same thing.

Backup your drive on your Mac, then use the "Disk Utility" in the Applications/Utilities directory to reformat the flash drive as "MS-DOS (FAT)".  If you're asked, make sure you use a single partition and Master Boot Record.

You should have no problem reformatting it back to a Mac-specific format later.

Thank you, Duane. You were "right on"! Formatting to MS-DOS allowed me to install the YouStreams Widget. I also had no problem in reformatting the Flash Drive as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

Thank goodness YouStreams is Mac-friendly.

tough i really like it, it takes very long to get back to the homescreen of my chumby - and then it take some time to get the chumby bak to his normal speed is this a bug or because it needs such a big amount of cache'?

@pegazus666: YouStreams periodically runs some cgi-bash-scripts in the background to determine the status of the mp3-player-program btplayd and to get the ID3-tags of the current stream. This consumes part of the CPU-horsepower, but is usually not a big problem. But I remember that for some problematic urls (that don't work) the background-processes somehow hogged the cpu, and suddenly I saw about 10 in the process-list, instead of only 2 or 3. I must admit, that I didn't solve this problem.
Can you please check your Radiostream- and Podcast-URL's (playlists) , eliminate all non-working entries (hmmm, I should put a button into the app to allow you to kill it from the chumby instead of having to use your computer's webbrowser) and see if that helps ?

Dear Duane, or Anyone at Chumby Inc,
I still wonder, why YouStreams is shown on insignia.chumby.com while SearchTube (which might work) is not. I know that patience is not my virtue, but I simply can't imagine that this problem could really be that difficult to solve ?

I'm looking into it - the weirdness is that the opposite should be happening.

OK - we think we've fixed this, so, here's the way it's set up now - YouStreams will *not* show on Infocast, but SearchTube *will*.  Both should be accessible on Chumby-branded devices, neither will show up on the Sony dash.

Please confirm this is working the way you want it.

107 (edited by Ratzfatz 2010-08-03 23:40:27)

Eeeeeexactly! Thanks a lot!
It's determined by the "Display Size"- and "Accelerometer"-Settings in the "App portability" section , right ? I mean, you didn't make any kind of special fix for these 2 particular apps, but solved the general problem?
Just in case ST doesn't run on the Insignia (I can't test it), I would simply change the required Display size to that of the Chumby.

O.k. any Infocast owners out there, would you please test SearchTube and give a feedback !

Ratzfatz wrote:

O.k. any Infocast owners out there, would you please test SearchTube and give a feedback !

Ratz,

Installed SearchTube per your request;

"Search Videos"  Crashes the Infocast as soon as any letter on the virtual keyboard is touched.
"Standard Feeds"  Plays videos found via this menu with no issues, unless the screen is touched during playback.  This causes instant crash.

Looks like a nice app, hope these are issues that can be addressed.

And YouStreams, too!

Cool. Thanks you guys

110 (edited by Ratzfatz 2010-08-04 23:47:48)

@JonathanMurray:

Please can you specify what "crash" means? Does the Infocast reboot, or freeze (pressing keys or screen has no effect; display doesn't change or go black) ? Or does only SearchTube freeze, or get terminated and replaced by the next app ?

When you press the screen while a video plays, do you see any change immediately before the "crash" (there should be additional buttons displayed that overlay the video and allow to pause/stop the video e.g.).

Any help would be great!

111 (edited by Ratzfatz 2010-08-06 15:03:46)

Duane, sorry to bother you again, but it doesn't seem to be fixed: I changed the "Display setting" for SearchTube back to 320x240 so that it says "Supported devices: Chumby", but it's still visible on insignia.chumby.com.
According to "JonathanMurray" (above) it doesn't run on the Infocast, so I would like to disable it again!

If the submit-site would work as expected, I wouldn't have to ask you again and again !

Moreover, wouldn't it be a good idea to have one checkbox per device on which the app is allowed/capable to run ? It doesn't make much sense in my eyes to indirectly select the target-device(s) by setting a required display resolution / accelerometer ?
I suggest to do it this way:

Allow app to run on:
[x]  Chumby classic, chumby one. Display resolution: 320x240, Accelerometer
[ ]   Sony Dash. Display resolution:  XXXxYYY
[x]  Insignia Infocast. Display resolution:  XXXxYYY, Accelerometer ?
[x]  Whatever Device. Display resolution: ....., other properties

Another suggestion (again):
Why not allow a checkbox for "cooperative mode" if the app is "private" (test-apps), I would like to test cooperative mode without having to ask someone at chumby inc to set the magical flag in the database.
Automate it!

Please check again for visibility of SearchTube on the insignia.chumby.com - I just altered it from the admin console.  You're correct, something's not working right.

I'll bring up the other stuff internally.

You streams is not stable anymore, after listening to a podcast, my Chumby  CLASSIC does not respond anymore.  If you press a button on the screen, Chumby takes s16-25 seconds to respond. Every time I need to reboot, since about 2 weeks.

I don't know was it the Chumby OS Update or the Latest You Streams version that causes this behavior. The helper file is installed and i haven't changed anything on my chumby in the last 3 months.

Till its fixed, better avoid You Streams.

Sorry for the delay in response, was traveling on business. 

Ratzfatz wrote:

@JonathanMurray:

Please can you specify what "crash" means? Does the Infocast reboot, or freeze (pressing keys or screen has no effect; display doesn't change or go black) ? Or does only SearchTube freeze, or get terminated and replaced by the next app ?

Crashed the device, froze the interface requiring a hard reset (power off / on).

I don't want to try to describe the interface I saw, as it's been a couple of weeks since I attempted to use the software.  I believe I recall the buttons you describe (when using one of the pre-installed lists of videos) - attempting to use them caused the system to freeze, requiring hard reset.

Any news?

The pocast part of you streams ist still freezing  after listening to a podcast, my Chumby  CLASSIC.

No, sorry, no news; I failed to reproduce this phenomenom on my chumby one.

@Anyone experiencing the problem described by anatmavada here: could you please ssh into your chumby and do a "top" to see which process(es) block the chumby?

after  I set my Chumby classic back to factory setting (lost all my streams and alarms) you streams is working.

Question. Where does you streams stores information about podcast. I have about15-20 podcast subscribed. Each time you listen to podcast YouStreams remove it from the list.

Is there enough space to store all this information, and what happens if this files is corrupt?

Before i was listening mostly every day 4-6 podcast, and it worked fine for weeks.
Could there be a problem? Is there a podcast limitation because 15 podcast in 30 day produces 450entrys in a month...

anatmavada wrote:

Where does you streams stores information about podcast

i think you mean this:
appspot

anatmavada wrote:

Each time you listen to podcast YouStreams remove it from the list.

i don´t have this problem.... all the podcast stay in the list -  even after listening

119 (edited by Ratzfatz 2010-09-08 01:35:23)

@anatmavada
- YouStreams DOES NOT REMOVE a podcast from the list after you listened to it.
- It DOES NOT STORE any information about any podcasts you've been listening to anywhere, neither on the device, nor in the web.
- YouStreams downloads your personal list of audio-podcast-RSS-feeds from youstreams.appspot.com when you enter the podcast-section. It dowloads the list of descriptions (title,length, picture, URL) of podcasts in an individual RSS-feed when you press the "dowload podcasts"-button of this RSS-feed.

Please!!!!! Insignia Infocast

121 (edited by spunk_ 2010-11-06 13:30:16)

change of chumbys YOUSTREAM-ID?

what happende today? i just updatet to the new control panel.

now my chumby has a ne chumby youstremas-ID.
i just copied over, but i think the new ID was pointing to another chumby because there where some entries in it.

is this a known problem?

I think this is an issue with the beta Control Panel - some of the _chumby_XX_id values that some widgets use have changed.  I'll see what I can do to restore them for release.

Duane wrote:

I'll see what I can do to restore them for release.

for me its okay to let the new ID stay. its easy to copy over all the entries.

i think its just a problem if the ID is in use by another item -  if this is not the case the ne ID ist also okay.

Well, the problem is that the new ID is "wrong" - when I fix the bug, it will go back to using the old ID.

This widget would not be the only one affected - I think the CP should properly be backwards compatible.

hello

and the same question here like for searchtube:

what happend with youstreams?
it is still working fine on my chumby but i cannot find it anymore here on the page.