Topic: Turning volume knob all the way up lowers volume

I have a chumby one, HW 10.6, SW 1.0.3, FW: 1.0.2430, control panel: 2.8.48

When turning the volume knob to higher volume levels, at 100%, the bass gets very quiet, and volume goes to about 50%. One notch down from 100%, and the volume is as loud as it will get. Not sure if it's a hardware issue, but it's done it on all versions of software I've been running, since I got the chumby two days ago, so 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 so far, that I'm aware of.

Re: Turning volume knob all the way up lowers volume

'sup supz.  We'll take a look.  I'm guessing that your Control Panel > Settings > Volume > L/R Speaker Balance setting is not dead-center.  Perhaps you've adjusted it a bit?

You could ssh into your device and type 'chumby_set_pan 0' to set it to exactly dead-center.  Admittedly, it's a bit tough to physically adjust the Control Panel slider back to dead-center - thus the suggestion to ssh and enter the command.

Thanks again, djchumby. You got it spot on. I had hit the balance by mistake, and that must have knocked it off center. Re-centering it from the CLI did the trick. Thanks!

I came to write a post on this same subject but my experience was slightly different.

I am fairly sure my pan control was centered since I have never moved it.

I hear a loss of mid channel information when I turn the volume to full.  It seems to me the sound becomes almost entirely made up of the side channel.  This presents an odd effect in songs where the vocal or something else is panned center.

Are you guys dropping mid channel to lose bass info and drop THD at higher volume?  If so, I'd think adding DSP to roll off the bass as the volume gets to the top might be a better idea.

I love the chumby.

I love the chumby too! Was having the same problem as here, but all cleared up now smile