Topic: squeezeplay for chumby (classic)

Last weekend i ported squeezeplay for the Chumby Classic (Ironforge),
so you can build your Baby Squ**zebox Touch for only 149$ :-)

You can download it from here:

http://cid-42aa16e5785e4534.office.live … 0.0.tar.gz

Things are setup to be run from /mnt/chumby (nfs mount in my setup), NOT /mnt/usb!

To run it get the tar to /mnt/chumby, stop the control panel and run:

/mnt/chumby/bin/squeezeplay.sh

Please refer to the wiki how to setup automatic startup. userhook2 is a good choice for this.
Some menus are not fitted well to the screen, but the main playing and selection functionality is allready working.
If someone wants to help me to find and fix the remaining bugs and adopting the skins i can setup a project on sourceforge, please let me know.

Greetings, rtd 1073

Re: squeezeplay for chumby (classic)

This is exciting!

I thought I would give this a try, but I have a Chumby One.  Any idea if this will work as is on the Chumby One?  If so, how do I go about stopping the control panel?  After plugging in a USB keyboard, I was able to mount an NFS volume with the tar file contents and I can run the squeezeplay.sh script, but it just hangs at some point.   I can get the exact message later if it's helpful.

It may run with a Chumby One. You can stop the control panel with the command "stop_control_panel". Why do you use a USB keyboard? It is much easier to ssh into the chumby! Did you mount it to /mnt/chumby? This is very important, the startup script and some other things expect it to be in /mnt/chumby. You also need write permission in /mnt/chumby/etc, as user root. NFS normaly denies this, you have to specify this explicitly. Perhaps this is the problem.

I'll give it a shot tonight.

I was using a keyboard since my chumby is in the living room and my PC in the office.  Turns out the text on the console is near impossible to read! 

Once I get this up and running, I would be interested in a sourceforge project.  I haven't developed anything for chumby yet, but I have an itch...  I have recently been using chumby to connect with my squeezebox server and been wanting a more robust frontend since the mp3 streaming that chumby currently uses doesn't always work well (no volume control, no sync, long buffer latency, etc).

Hi rtd1073,

fabulous idea!
Just tried it this morning on my chumby one; here is as far as I got in 20 minutes:

- unpacked your squeezeplay%5E_chumby%5E_v0.0.tar.gz on my notebook
- set permissions chmod -R a+rw ./    (this is probably the wrong way to do it; there might be nfs options for that, but I was lazy)
- shared this directory using NFS  (edited /etc/exports)
- ssh to chumby
$ mkdir /mnt/chumby
$ mount -o nolock -t nfs notebook_ip:/path/to/said/directory  /mnt/chumby
$ stop_control_panel
$ /mnt/chumby/bin/squeezeplay.sh

The program ran but nothing appeared on the screen (after stop_control_panel, the display of the last widget stays there). I first suspected that the system freezed, but ssh was still active, and as a test, I tried
   cat >> /dev/fb0
in the chumby ssh session and typed some random characters upon which pixels on chumbys display changed.

Any ideas?

Left my chumby at home, so I'll have to post the jive output later today. I remember that there was a message like "Initializing screen to NNNxNNNxNN" or maybe it was "setting resolution...", but the screen remained unchanged.

When pushing Chumby One's button on top, jive says something like "I reckon this is not a touchscreen device".

I might have missed it, but is the source included in your package? If not it would help me a lot if you could upload it somewhere.

If you set-up a SourceForge page (or alike), I would definitely like to invest some time into this!

So long and thanks for your effort!

Hi ulysses,

perhaps you can check the TSLIB_ and SDL_ variables in the /mnt/chumby/etc/env.sh script, i do not know if the device nodes are the same on the chumby one. But, as you can see from the forum by searching "framebuffer" or "SDL", the framebuffer device of the chumby is a little problematic. I bypassed the problems for the chumby classic by modifying the SDL code to only accept 320x240x16, and by not doing any switching at all, relying on the 320x240x16 initialization of the chumby startup scripts. Just the memory gets mapped. This approach may fail on the chumby one.

I am happy that someone volunteers to help porting it to the chumby one. Squeezeplay is a fine music player software, i am very happy with it and the chumby. I integrated /dev/input usb keyboard support to SDL recently, so now you can control it also by a cheap mediacenter usb remote. I will set up a sourceforge project as soon as possible to give you and the community access to the sourcecode, so you can help to port it to the chumby one and improving the ChumbySkin. Please be patient, it takes some work to setup a clean git and the neccesary .gitignore files. I hope i can get this done util end of next weekend.

Greetings, rtd 1073

Ok,

sourceforge project is ready.
Project url is: http://chumbysqueeze.sourceforge.net/

Greetings, rtd1073

Have anybody been able to get this to work on Chumby One?

rtd1073 wrote:

Ok,

sourceforge project is ready.
Project url is: http://chumbysqueeze.sourceforge.net/

Greetings, rtd1073

I hate to spoil the fun, but you should probably investigate the copyrights before redistributing everything in the original squeezeplay distribution. As an example, I suspect some of the artwork might be licensed with a Logitech copyrights that doesn't allow re-distribution without permission from Logitech. I think all the lua code should be licensed under a BSD license and should be safe to redistribute.

I'm not trying to  stop this, it's great to see third party initiatives like this on alternative hardware platforms, I just wanted to make you aware of possible license/copyright problems unless you already knew about them.

Unfortunately, I suspect it will be hard to reach someone at Logitech that can give you answers, but it is a bit risky since this will compete with Logitech's own hardware. If you tried to ask them, they would probably just tell you that you aren't allowed to do what you are doing.

The safe solution to handle this if you like to avoid license/copyright issues would be to:
- Handle patches in your own repository
- Provide an installation script that a user can run to automatically download the squeezeplay source from Logitech, patch it and compile to binaries.

Hi there!

i am a big fan of the squeezebox system. Is there any progress on this great idea of porting the "Squeezeplay" app to chumby?

I think there shouldn't be any copyright issues, should there? Thought the server and client system is open source as the server is already ported to several NAS-systems like linkstation live, readnas and so on.

anyone?

12 (edited by dlloyd 2010-12-11 04:22:27)

I'd love to use a Sony Dash as a controller for my Transporter/Squeezebox Server. Did development of this app get dropped??

I'm obviously not the only one interested in a chumby/squeezebox application. How about iPeng for the chumby??

Are Sony ever going to port their AV Receiver Remote or BD Remote applications??

If these apps were available, I'd buy a Dash tomorrow, without them I don't see a lot of use for it...

so did anyone recently manage to get squeezeplay working on chumby one?