Topic: I have a new dead Chumby

I have recently purchased a Chumby classic from a seller on Ebay, it was fine, I was using it for nearly a week before I was sent away for training for 3 days and I left the PSU plugged in but not into the Chumby itself. On my return I replugged it in to the chumby and it did nothing, I could smell a 'component' burning smell and disconnected it. I (knowing I had no warranty) reluctantly unstitched the leather and figured I could make a suitable ABS housing for it.

The D10 uClamp3301D had burnt out, and broke off in lumps from the daughter board. It makes a clicking noise when powered up  and the power button is touched, but nothing lights. I have tried a new 9v battery too and the result is the same. Is it likely the whole board needs replacing, or will a uClamp3301D diode be enough to repair it?

If the board needs replacing what will it cost me? and how? I am waiting for a reply to a email from customer services about this but it doesn't look forthcoming or promising at the moment.

I spent some time saving for this and very disappointed, I don't have a huge amount of money and wanted to have an alarm clock like device I could wake to TWIT.tv on it, something I was able to do on the Chumby before this happened.

(I'm not worried about the damage to the fabric outer - I didn't like that anyway! A plastic case would appeal to me more anyhow)

Any idea's on how badly damaged this is and what I need to do to repair it. As a Radio ham I am able to solder ok, and have limited access to a few SMT components. Is there an alternative to the uClamp3301D that isn't a SMT device?

Re: I have a new dead Chumby

I have emailed you a quote.

Thank you, will be in touch as per our conversation recently.

I have the same problem: D10 looked burned out, it makes a clicking noise (and no display) when powered up.
Was it the D10?  or something else? 
Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

CF

M1DLG wrote:

I have recently purchased a Chumby classic from a seller on Ebay, it was fine, I was using it for nearly a week before I was sent away for training for 3 days and I left the PSU plugged in but not into the Chumby itself. On my return I replugged it in to the chumby and it did nothing, I could smell a 'component' burning smell and disconnected it. I (knowing I had no warranty) reluctantly unstitched the leather and figured I could make a suitable ABS housing for it.

The D10 uClamp3301D had burnt out, and broke off in lumps from the daughter board. It makes a clicking noise when powered up  and the power button is touched, but nothing lights. I have tried a new 9v battery too and the result is the same. Is it likely the whole board needs replacing, or will a uClamp3301D diode be enough to repair it?

If the board needs replacing what will it cost me? and how? I am waiting for a reply to a email from customer services about this but it doesn't look forthcoming or promising at the moment.

I spent some time saving for this and very disappointed, I don't have a huge amount of money and wanted to have an alarm clock like device I could wake to TWIT.tv on it, something I was able to do on the Chumby before this happened.

(I'm not worried about the damage to the fabric outer - I didn't like that anyway! A plastic case would appeal to me more anyhow)

Any idea's on how badly damaged this is and what I need to do to repair it. As a Radio ham I am able to solder ok, and have limited access to a few SMT components. Is there an alternative to the uClamp3301D that isn't a SMT device?