1 (edited by wkearney99 2009-10-01 06:27:01)

Topic: Send info from widgets?

Is there a 'built-in' way for a widget to send info?

I'd like to have ability to send what's on a given widget to an outside service.

Like when seeing a picture on a slideshow to be able to send it as a tweet on twitter.  Or when looking at an RSS feed to post a link to that item onto a blog.

I realize there's a lot of underpinnings to making something like this work.  But it would be great to have a standardized way for widget developers to prepare a bundle of information for sending.  Then have a page in the control panel that allowed the user to select where to send that bundle.

Right now the control panel lets you 'Send' a widget to a fellow chumby user.  I like that UI.  Something like that with a list of recipients would be ideal.   That would also abstract away the act of sending from the possible delivery transports.   It would also keep the widgets from having to do it themselves.  Better, perhaps, to have a system-wide service instead of making each widget get all that much larger in size.

It would do a lot to integrate the ambient nature of the chumby with more interactive social network types of activities.   

How about it, sound like a reasonable idea?

Re: Send info from widgets?

Bump?

More than even I really wish my Chumby had a way to push information from a widget to my desktop.   Like push a URL from a RSS reader.  Using instant messaging would be one way, posting to a service like Twitter, Facebook or others could be another. 

But without some sort of 'unified' way to do it from all widgets it would be a mess.  An OS-integrated feature for this would be FANTASTIC.

A widget can use HTTP POST to push data to a server that's capable of accepting it.

For instance, a few of the Twitter widgets allow posting of tweets from the device.

Is that what you mean?

Sort of.  Yes, a widget being 'able' to do this is a good first step.  The bigger step being a unified way for all widgets to do this.  One that got configured at a central point, so each widget wouldn't be required to configure itself.   Granted, some widgets may want to do this.  But that just makes each widget more complicated.  If there existed something at the OS level for widgets to send data it might help speed adoption.   I'd imagine there'd have to be at least two ways for a widget to send data, one as a plain text string and the other as a set of data (possibly XML).  This to allow a widget to send rich structures of data should it be necessary.  No point in having everyone try to jam data into a text string, right?  I've been there before and it's messier than necessary. 

Of course that leads to hassles with how to deal with centralized distribution of the messages.  Either each widget would have to specify it's destination(s). 

What's more work, for each widget to have multiple sending points, or to have the widget ask a central point for what endpoints are available and then track how those are used?  As in, my widget asks the server for endpoints.  It then presents a UI to the user allowing them use a scrolling list of checkboxes to indicate which endpoints should get a message.   Then when it needs to send a message it'd just ask the server to send them using the chumby's ID and a widget ID.  It would already know what services that chumby is configured to use and could then deliver the message(s) accordingly.  This would, of course, be a fair bit of work on the server side to handle tracking each chumby's ID and it's widget preferences.  But isn't that already being done now, sort of?  Then it'd be more work to handle interfacing to the various services.  Which isn't without potential issues with delivery speed, reliability, privacy and security.

Otherwise it'd be a service arms-race for each widget to know which services exist, to save the login info and to also babysit the message delivery.

Basically I just want to be able to know that when I see something of interest on the chumby's screen that I can 'bump' that info off to somewhere else for follow up.  What better way to encourage more interaction with the ambient information being presented?  I could see an advertising widget (if and when they ever emerge) being able to make effective use of this.

With an across-the-board interface for doing this it might lend itself to greater uptake by widget developers.

Of course starting with a unified e-mail address to send messages would be a start.  That'd guarantee pretty much anyone with a device would be able to get a message from a widget.  Going the next step to instant message or other services might not be necessary for those folks.  But it'd be a great way for the chumby devices to ride along on their tech buzz...

There's already a mechanism for widgets to send emails to their owners, documented here, though we have to flip a bit on our server to allow the widget to actually be able to do it.

It sounds like you're also looking for the other way around - the ability to send a message somewhere and have it show up on someone's device.  One big challenge, of course, is to somehow avoid having it be yet another conduit for spam.

Duane wrote:

One big challenge, of course, is to somehow avoid having it be yet another conduit for spam.

Or other malicious content. I would be reluctant to try out new widgets from unknown community developers if my Chumby were set up with a unified way for all widgets to send data to my computer without me necessarily having to do anything. This seems a bit like a virus/trojan delivery system to me.