Topic: nightmode

hi

if would be nice if

1) it's possible to configure a widget which could be used during the nightmode instead of the default nightmode screen

2) also the current date is shown on the default nightmode screen

3) the remaining time until the next alarm fires up is shown on the default nightmode screen

thank you

br
Andre

Re: nightmode

the whole point of night mode is so that there are no widgets, you can set a widget and have the chumby turn down the brightness at a specific time if thats what your after.

3 (edited by cyberdummy 2009-12-29 16:44:06)

hi

thank you for your response

Gompka wrote:

the whole point of night mode is so that there are no widgets

ok i understand this is per design..

Gompka wrote:

you can set a widget and have the chumby turn down the brightness at a specific time if thats what your after

it should be started manually

i think the way to do this with a widget is complicated
(i'm afraid a widget cant control the brightness and cant set itself to "stay" so the widget must load a page from the built in webserver, the page itself start a script which change the channel where only one widget is included, change the brightness and starts afterwards another widget which shows the required information, something like that)

so the "cleaniest" solution is to add this features (2 and 3) into the nightmode

or am i on a wrong way?

br
Andre

I like the idea.  Similar to the custom alarm screen and the custom music source it would be nice to have the ability to write your own "night mode" screen so you could include things like alarm countdowns, date, etc. on a per-developer basis.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I like the idea with a custom night mode.
Using a special "night" channel and dimm down the screen light when touching the night-button would be great.
And perfect would be an overlay (like the time described in the wiki) to display the next alarm time.

I agree this would be a useful feature.  I imagine there are many who have a channel made just for this purpose and have to dim the screen using a cronjob, alarm, or by manually adjusting the brightness.

Any news if this is in the works?

bump

I have to agree. It would be really nice if there was a way to select both a channel and brightness for any alarm.

Because the current alarm options require you to select either a channel or screen brightness, right now I have a "Night" channel selected by an alarm at 10:59 PM which has a single widget in it (a clock I like better than the official Chumby Night Mode Clock). Then, 1 minute later, I have an alarm set to turn the screen to dim.

In the morning, I have to reverse the process, setting an alarm to go off that resets the screen to bright, and then a minute later, turning on my "Wake Up" channel, which runs time (a brighter clock), and weather, along with a radio station I want to wake up to.

In other words, I am using two alarms to change my Chumby into my version of Night mode, and two alarms to go into Day mode. If an alarm could set both brightness and a channel simultaneously, I could eliminate two of the alarms.