Re: YouStreams-Widget

Thaaaaanks !

Ratzfatz wrote:

I have. It's already inside,

No, I was wrong : I only put this code into the SearchTube, not into the YouStreams-widget, sorry!

Duane or anyone, I assume, when I update the YS within the next minutes, it will reappear for the Dash ? Would you then please be so kind and remove it again ? Really sorry to bother you again and again...

It should not reappear, but if it does, we'll remove it.

By the way, I want to echo the comments in this thread - this is a great widget.

I checked on my Dash for you. The widget never shows up on my device in either Theme.

Hope that helps.

Howdy folks... first post (thanks for listening), great work Ratzfatz, and thank you!

Anyway some notes on my use of this widget...

Regarding the app web interface... It does not appear that the raw/direct mp3 additions are being indexed by the search tool.  How often are the listings that were previously created or recently edited re-indexed in the search tool?  I added additional info and tags that did not make it immediately into the search (found during the attempt to copy listings from one device to another using the search tool)

There is no way to do a mass copy (by category or full catalog) to move the listings to another chumby device/ID.

I found while adding stations via playlist method that it will not proceed past an intro mp3 to the real stream.  I found using Winamp I could use the playlist and get past the intro to the real address of the raw/mp3 feed (right click on that stations line in playlist and go to (View file info...)) and add them that way as direct mp3 addresses.

Is there a reason for only 16 stations per category?

Good stuff... keep it up!

81 (edited by Ratzfatz 2010-05-25 10:20:35)

Howdy PoN: Good analysis!
- In fact, there is a bug in the server-side code that prevents direct-mp3-streams from being indexed. I'll fix that
- In the beginning I had a cron-job on the server doing the re-indexing once a day, but at the moment, I run the re-indexing code every few days only. I have to rewrite that code, because sometimes one run takes longer than the maximum real-time (not CPU-time) allowed for cron-jobs.
- Copying over one or more categories from one chumby to another is a great idea (Thanks!) and shouldn't be too hard to implement.
- Can you please give me the address of the playlist you mentioned ?
- I thought 16 ought to be enough for everyone.

The streams I was having a problem with were the ones at capradio.org.  They have an intro mp3 for the channels info/donation request etc... then it forwards to the real stream after.  It seems some/most players will take the redirection and forward on to the stream, but when adding them into the web interface by playlist item that the test button does not detect that it is an intro then stream and whatever the mechanism is that forwards on to the stream.  Maybe in the playlist file itself?

Might it be that the test button needs to parse the playlist and identify if there is an intro that passes to a forwarding address and enter it into the stream address box as the real stream if that is indeed the case?  (I hadn't thought that far ahead to dissect the playlist file)  Seemed easier just to use Winamp to dissect it for me.

http://www.capradio.org/stream/default.aspx
Links along the right for the 3 streams by alternate players... I was using the m3u ones initially and pasting them into the web app/playlist entry method leading to my failures.

Since then I have used this method with Winamp to translate all my stations to the real mp3 address form and reenter them that way... hence the frustration with moving them after that with no search entries (just the old entries from the old playlist type that I had converted away from) :grin:

So for the moment I'm all setup after much copy and pasting among two different browsers to 'get er done'.

I'm just getting started so I'm sure I will be editing/adding and thanking you again for the awesome copy tool :nudge:

Oh, and yes 16 should work out, just have to make more categories... which will be better (more specific) in the search results anyway.

Thanks again!

83 (edited by Ratzfatz 2010-05-25 12:26:47)

If you save the .m3u-files to disk and open them in a text-editor (wordpad e.g.) you'll see two streams: the first one is the intro, the second one is the live-radio. If you pass the playlist to a normal player, it will play the intro and continue with the radio when the intro has finished.
The (current) youstreams-server-code only passes the first stream (i.e. occurance of a string starting with "http://") to the widget. Hence you'll only hear the intro. I'll put support for multiple entries to the very end of the todo-list...

Btw.: At this very moment, you won't be able to edit your streams, because google's appengine is in read-only mode (http://code.google.com/status/appengine). Unfortunately this happens from time to time. At least it's free!

Webpage-update for http://youstreams.appspot.com :

1. My Streams-support : You can now download a file that contains all your radio-stations in a format that's suitable for Chumby's inbuilt Internet-Radio function My Streams (in Control-Panel/Music). Log into http://youstreams.appspot.com with your YouStreams-ID, press the download-button, and save the file url_streams somewhere on your PC. You can then transfer it to your Chumby (using WinSCP e.g.) to the directory /psp. You should open the file first with a text-editor (e.g. windows wordpad or emacs): it contains some additional info at the top. Just try it !

2. Copy / Merge to another Chumby : If you have a second chumby you can now copy over all Podcast- and Radio-Categories from one Chumby to the other. Please note that this operation only adds whole Categories with Podcasts or RadioStations - it does not alter any existing Categories or Stations, even if the names of existing entries are identical to those that are to be added. So you may first like to make some room on the "destination-Chumby" by deleting entries.

3. Bugfix : Direct-MP3-Streams should now be included in the search

just learning this.  how do you "restart' the widget in step 3?

Anyone know if this works on the new Insignia Infocast?  I try to install from the web but it never show on the device.  Looks like a great app.

msbragg wrote:

Anyone know if this works on the new Insignia Infocast?  I try to install from the web but it never show on the device.  Looks like a great app.

Ditto - although the icon appears on the folder I placed the app in, the app does not appear when the folder is open.

Weirdness.

Still hoping for input regarding this app on the Infocast.

A blank wrapper app that would accept an URL and play would be good enough, really... (no idea why "My Streams" was left off of the infocast!)

anelson wrote:

just learning this.  how do you "restart' the widget in step 3?

Good question.  I did the script install but the widget doesn't show it as happening (script version ---).  I did all the steps correctly and I have a chumby one.

So, what do I do?  I  have reset the chumby a couple of times with and without the USB inserted and no results.

This widget seems to have fallen into the "unsupported" category.

A shame, too... it looked promising!

JonathanMurray wrote:

This widget seems to have fallen into the "unsupported" category.

A shame, too... it looked promising!

Oh, come on, give the guy a break! He's done really great work on this widget and responded very quickly with improvements and modifications in response to users.
He's in Germany, where I'm pretty sure he can't buy an Infocast even if he wanted one, so what do you expect him to do?
Also, the use of this kind of widget on non-Chumby devices may be blocked by the manufacturer (eg Sony won't allow this on the Dash), so there may be nothing that can be done anyway.
Have you tried asking the Infocast people themselves?

92 (edited by Ratzfatz 2010-07-15 02:34:33)

Don't panic!

@codemoney: You have a chumby one ? Please verify again:
- the filename must be "debugchumby", not "debugchumby.txt" or "debugchumby.whatever"
- the "debugchumby"-file must not be altered, esp. not opened in a text-editor and saved from there
- try to download and save the file with a different browser (firefox, google chrome, safari)
- try a different USB-Flashdrive, because the chumby might have problems reading from some sticks

INFOCAST:
Sorry, I should have answered the questions about support for the Infocast before.
In fact, the Infocast is not available in Germany ( but even if it were, I probably wouldn't buy one). But this is not the reason why I didn't answer your questions. I was following the thread, but I wanted to see if there would be any reaction from the "chumby team" (the people that host the apps). It should be very easy for them to test the app on a Infocast. I'm a bit frustrated about this lack of interest and about the - still unsolved - problem that apps cannot be reliably restricted to a freely defineably subset of chumby-able devices; see below.

I believe, YouStreams will not run on Infocasts (without further modifications on the Infocast).
This is because YouStreams requires a running httpd on the device. I read somewhere (http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … mby_tricks  section Built in Web Server) that the httpd does not get started on the Infocast during bootup. That, of course, doesn't answer the question why the app doesn't show up at all on the device, after having installed it from the webpage - I think, only Chumby Inc. can answer this question.

On the other hand, I believe SearchTube will(would) run on the Infocast (without the need to download the debugchumby-script that improves the framerate on a normal chumby,  because a) the script wouldn't run anyway because of the httpd-problem (see above) and b) I assume the Infocast is fast enough to show the videos with an acceptable framerate).

You wonder why YouStreams IS SHOWN on insignia.chumby.com ? I also do.
You wonder why SearchTube is NOT SHOWN on insignia.chumby.com ?  I also do.

Maybe I should give an insight for non-app-developers to explain my frustration:
There is an "App portability" section on the web-page where you can submit (upload) apps. It says there (in this section) "These options are used to determine if this app should be sent to a specific device." There are 4 options in this section that you (as an app-author) can set for each app that you want to submit [you can also change these settings after having submitted the app]:

- A drop-down list "Display-size", labeled "This app needs this display-size".
  You can choose between "Any", "320x240" OR "800x600" OR "800x480"
  I set this to "320x240" for both apps a while ago in the (wrong) assumption that this would protect the app from being shown on the Sony Dash.

- A checkbox "Accelerometer", labeled "This app needs the accelerometer".
  I left it unchecked for both apps.

- A drop-down list "Primary language" labeled "Primary language" with a single (!) entry named "English"
- A drop-down list "Character set" labeled "Character set" with a single (!) entry named "English"

I made all the settings in this section identical for SearchTube and YouStreams. Yet, YouStreams is shown on the Insignia, SearchTube is not.

You see ?

OK it works....
Used a older usb drive (1 Gb v 4 Gb) and used Crome to download the script straight to the USB drive.
Turned off the chumby with the switch, used the usb port on the left side of the power plub, turned it on, unplugged the drive after I got to the 'setup the network' question screen.

Great! Thanks for your feedback codemoney!

Welcome back Duane!
Could you please comment on the questions about the Insignia Infocast (see above)?
Also, I'd like to know the chumby_hardware_version of the Insignia.
Is it true that the httpd is not running? Why is YouStreams shown on insignia.chumby.com while SearchTube is not.
Why is YouStreams shown on the webpage, but doesn't show on the device?
How can I prevent an app from being shown on the Insignia and any upcoming devices?
Does someone at chumby inc. have an infocast? Do you have means to test an app on an Insignia?
Thanks in advance!

I'll check into why the filtering seems to be odd for your widgets.

The hardware version of the Infocast is 9.7

httpd is not running by default (this was a request by Best Buy).

I'll see if I can test your app on my Infocast.

Ratzfatz wrote:

Don't panic!

Thanks for the update, Ratz!

Here's hoping Duane will be able to figure out how we can use your apps on our BB8s.

98 (edited by Ken_in_NC 2010-07-28 15:05:11)

I've been in correspondence with Ratzfatz regarding this problem and he suggested I post to this Forum since he is not a Macintosh person.

I am using a new Chumby One and want to install YouStreams. I've carefully followed the install instructions - several times - and still receive the message:" You have not yet installed the YouStreams-helper-script". Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot the problem?

I am using a G4 Power Mac with OS 10.4.11 and Ratzfatz suspects that the formatting of my Flash Drive is the problem. My Flash Drives are all formatted in Mac X Extended Journaled format. One article I found in Google <http://www.ehow.com/how_2006214_format-flash-drive.html> suggests that I format the Drive in MS-DOS but Ratzfatz believes that only Drives formatting in FAT32 will work. From what I've read there is a chance I will render my Flash Drive unusuable in I reformat in MS-DOS.

Have any Mac-users been able to install YouStreams via a Mac and get it to work?

You should not have a problem with reformatting the flash drive.  I use a Mac and build and install stuff on my chumbies all the time.

On the Mac, "MS-DOS" and "FAT32" are the same thing.

Backup your drive on your Mac, then use the "Disk Utility" in the Applications/Utilities directory to reformat the flash drive as "MS-DOS (FAT)".  If you're asked, make sure you use a single partition and Master Boot Record.

You should have no problem reformatting it back to a Mac-specific format later.

Reminder:

Why is YouStreams (which cannot work because of the not-running httpd) shown on insignia.chumby.com while SearchTube (which might work) is not.

Why is YouStreams shown on the webpage, but doesn't show on the device?

How can I prevent an app from being shown on the Insignia and any upcoming devices?