Topic: Play MP3s from shared folder (or MediaCenter or Windows Home Server)

I mentioned this in the Device forum, but will put it here as well.

I have several particular podcasts that require authentication to access (user/pass). MediaFly doesn't support that. I have FeedDemon running on my WHS and it pulls down the files ... the MP3s are available in a public folder as well as served up by Orb.

I'd like to be able to point to a folder wither on my windows network ad play these MP3s... or do it via media sharing or Orb or  ...?

This is the one and only thing I have on my "god I wish it did..." list.

Thanks!
mj

Re: Play MP3s from shared folder (or MediaCenter or Windows Home Server)

There is some movement of UPnP support and some people have had luck mounting the volumes with the current firmware of the Chumby and One....

Problem is the chumby doesn't quite handle large amounts of files in a folder (the file browsing) too well..

yet...

oooohhh... how about few files (5-10) that are large (15Mb+)?  That's my podcast filing system.

This matter has actually increased in importance - several of my podcasts that require authentication (pay subscription model) are no longer handled by MediaFly and I'm left without any way to play them.

I've actually gone back to putting my blackberry next to my bed ... I'm about ready to move the chumby downstairs and use it as a google-voice message monitor only.

Keep me posted if there are any changes!

Definitely!  I've got a WHS with gigs of MP3's.  If it's too hard to list files, then at least list M3U's to play.

+1 +1 +1 +1 on a better way to stream from WHS - that's where I store the podcasts - as well as the music library.

ORB isn't a solution.

6 (edited by FalconFour 2009-12-27 02:17:02)

+1 for me too. I store all my music on my WHS and it seems kinda silly that in all its standards-compliant-ness and license-free-ness, the WHS has music the Chumby can't play. I tried the Squeezebox Server route and that is just an exercise in futility with a very stripped-down and near-unusable player on the Chumby that constantly skips and glitches.

I had FireFly server set up to make my library look like an iTunes share. Now, people have expressed their desire to have an iTunes client on the Chumby as well but it's been met with skepticism about the iTunes server licensing. But how is Firefly able to get away with making a (free) server but the Chumby can't even be a client? I'd be more than happy to use two 3rd-party apps (Firefly and Chumby) exchanging iTunes traffic if it's a protocol they both support...

Moreso, I'd be happy with just a direct way to play my music library a la Foobar2000 autoplaylists on the Chumby. But really, with Pandora at my doorstep... I don't mind too much. I just wish I could play Rob Thomas' "Real World '09" any time I want on the Chumby wink

I have an Archos 604 wifi, and I'd love something like that for the Chumby. 

The Archos is very nice in the fact that I can scan my network, browse by shared drives (add user and pass if necessary) and find the music, videos, or pictures that I want to play.

If you could make a widget that would do the same thing I'd be very happy. 

I was hoping to use my Chumby not only as a high-tech clock, but as a media-player/photo album.

Any thoughts?

Just thought I'd check back in to see if any progress has happened... doesn't look like it.

+1 for UPNP (for the third or fourth time). PLEASE GET THIS WORKING!!!

I check back on this every few months... I'm not surprised it hasn't been fixed. Gotta say I like using my phone as a smart alarm clock, it works and I can play MP3s from my home network on it very, very easlily.

MediaFly is just not a viable podcatcher... I can't add protected media.

Sorry to say, Chumby's value to me was the ability to play podcasts... that only works for non-protected podcasts. When the network connection stays alive.

Ugh.