Topic: FM Frequency Step

Hi, it's posible to change the "step frequency" of the FM tuner?
Here, in Spain, the FM stations broadcast with an step of 100khz, the chumby one uses an step of 200khz... sad

Thank you! smile

Re: FM Frequency Step

Hi all.

Another owner from Spain here. I have the same 200Khz intervals issue, plus most of what I can hear is static despite the antenna is fully unraveled. I already contacted customer service and was told to wait for firmware updates, so... just a subtle reminder here wink

Thanks a million!

If you SSH into the Chumby One, you can directly tune from the shell command line, try the command "fmradio t 9200" to tune to 92.00 while the FM Radio widget is active.

I've done the SSH and it allows tunning on even frequencies, what gives me twice the stations received.

Still the reception quality is low, but at least more stations can be tuned. So what I think chumby people should do is to release a firmware upgrade with 100KHz steps for the people outside US.

unwiredben: do you know more commands that can be used with "fmradio" ?

So, apparently you can also configure the radio via the web.  Go to this URL from your browser:

http://<ip address of chumby>:8081

and your device will serve you a Flash widget that allows you to tune the radio.  The other uses of this little server are documented at http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … dio_API... I'm not sure if I want this available off device; seems like it would be easy for an attacker to change my radio station without my permission.

There's a provision to lock the FM radio out, so that you need to specify a key to make changes.  It's not used yet, but the option is there.

Also, the chumby http daemon now has support to only bind to localhost.  We may change the FM radio daemon to do this for the next release.

Hi everybody. Another user here from Spain with a related suggestion. It is important to make it possible for the chumby FM tuner tuning stations in 100 KHz steps, but also please bear in mind that here the usable radio spectrum starts at 87.5 MHz, so please, please, please, include these two improvements on the FM radio, at least for European countries.

Thanks in advance.

Same for the UK.. 95.8, 100.0, 105.4.. many UK stations are at even MHz decimals.. US are a bit strange with their odd 200kHz smile

Capital FM 95.8MHz
Kiss 100Mhz
BBC Radio 1 98.8MHz
Magic 105.4MHz
Heart 106.2MHz

Big stations which aren't easily receivable!

I understand this is the same for much of Europe too..

OK, this is on the short list for the next release.

10 (edited by magicwoody 2010-05-01 04:40:18)

Hi Duane,
did you know, when a new release will be available ?

I tried to play with the app at Port >chumby-ip>:8081 but there are no changes at my Chumby.

yosoyese wrote:

but also please bear in mind that here the usable radio spectrum starts at 87.5 MHz

Same request here. Currently i can't listen to my favorite music station "87.9 Star FM".
sad sad sad