Topic: [Dash] any chance in hell there is SSH root access?

Are we going to have any luck getting into the Dash with SSH?

I'm keen on adding USB DAC support for my headphone amp and adding SPDIF support.

Now that there are services like Netflix I'm thinking things are locked down a bit, but still hopeful.

Re: [Dash] any chance in hell there is SSH root access?

No, the dash is a closed system.

So closed Duane, I assume, that it's also impossible to install cgi-scripts ??

Yes, it is theoretically impossible to install any software on the device.

There is no web server.  None of the regular chumby easter eggs will function - no debugchumby, no local widgets, no custom music sources.

The firmware is cryptographically signed, and therefore not replaceable except by Sony.

O.k. then. I won't buy one!
Do I have to set something in the "Widget Portability" section to make YouStreams disappear for Dashs ? It says already "This configuration supports the following devices: chumby" there, but someone complaint that he (or she?) only sees a blackscreen on a Dash.

6 (edited by pounce 2010-04-30 07:46:49)

weeps with sadness and despair...

Where is the formal enhancement request process?

We need USB soundcard support. The headphone jack sounds like poop and we just wont talk about the onboard speaker.

I'm going to hold on to the word "theoretically" with all my strength wink

There are widgets that will work *only* on the dash, and widgets that will work on chumby but *not* on the dash.

Sony has created some exclusive relationships for some widgets that means they will only be available on their device.  We are prohibited from making those widgets available for other devices.

Conversely, there are some relationships that Sony has entered into that means that some widgets that available for the chumby are not available for the dash.  Depending upon which site you used to configure the device (www.chumby.com or dash.chumby.com), you will see a different catalog.  If a user adds a widget that will not play on the device, it can manifest in different ways, a process we're still improving - it may not show up at all, it may put up a "this widget is not available for this device".

In some cases, there may be some other issue going on - in the case you describe, I'll take a look and see if I can figure out the problem.  However, I'm very limited in what I can do - even the devices *I* have that access the production system are as locked down as yours.

One question - does your widget use the _root._chumby_chumby_id or _root._chumby_user_id properties?

It uses the chumby_chumby_id and chumby_hardware_version.

9 (edited by Ratzfatz 2010-04-30 09:21:18)

I just looked up SearchTube and YouStreams on dash.chumby.com and couldn't find them.
Good!
But then, how did he get it on the Dash?

Anyway, thank you Duane!

OK, the _chumby_chumby_id property is not available in the currently released Control Panel, but will be in the next one (again, not under our control).

The value of _root._chumby_hardware_version will be "11.0".

I think your widget requires local scripts - those will not work on this device.

I'll look into seeing how to block your widgets on the dash and let you know.

Sorry to disturb again. Just one more piece of information : from the Dash forum I found out that the YouStreams-widget is accessible in the browser via these two links: http://is.gd/bQlaq and http://dash.chumby.com/guide/widget/YouStreams .
But when you do a search in the entertainment-widgets-section or manually go through all entertainment-widget pages, it's not there. Is it possible to block these links AND prevent it from being installed on a Dash ?

it will be a real shame if the dash is kept closed.

I think you can count on it due to the content partnerships.

Duane !? Any news about hiding widgets from Dash ?
According to a comment here http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/YouStreams, the YouStreams-widget showed up on the Dash again ("YouStreams appeared on the Dash page and i installed it").

Yeah, were working on that.

Duane !?
I would like to hide my BOTH widgets SearchTube AND YouStreams from the DASH. Unfortunately I can see SearchTube in the DASH's gallery.
Please remove both or let me know what I can do to make them disappear.

Any chance Chumby or another partner will come out with a larger (7" - 9") unit that will be open? I was interested in the Dash when I first heard about it but no longer wish own one.

Thanks.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/18/chum … -mwc-2010/

Thanks, but they don't seem very optimistic that it will ever come to market.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=28793#p28793