Topic: Hearts of Space

First, let me say that I'm very pleased with my Chumby One (early Christmas).  However, I would enjoy it even more if I could listen to the Music From the Hearts of Space stream (www.hos.com).  This is a subscription service, and uses some sort of Flash Player embedded on their webpage.  I don't know if anyone else is interested in space music, but I find it very relaxing while reading, or late at night.  If this is possible, you have my appreciation in advance.
Thanx,
V Mabus

Re: Hearts of Space

Well I can't seem to find a "valid" stream for use, so the chances are pretty low.  You could drop them a line and see if they would be interested in looking into some new oppurtunities.  I didn't realize HOS was still around.  My father was on a few shows back in the late 80's. smile

Cheers.

I sent an email to the web programmer for H.O.S., but have not had a reply.  I'll try again later....

4 (edited by mreguessed 2009-12-19 02:51:32)

Thanks for introducing me to this great 'station'. I'm currently listening to it (at amongst other times) last thing at night, with a netbook outputting audio to a TV, with all the associated power and audio cabling, and the inability to turn everything to off/standby after I've fallen asleep.

For what it's worth, I've also e-mailed them to add my name to the list of people who would like to access this via the Chumby. Don't ask, don't get.

In their seasonal e-mail greeting to subscribers they make a point of saying 2010 is the year that 'HOS goes mobile everywhere we can', including iPhone, Blackberry, Palm and Android. Here's hoping.

reply from Leyla Hill @ Hearts of Space:
Sorry for the delay in answering this, Vic, but I had to do some research first.
Right now our service isn't compatible with the Chumby One. Every one of these types of devices (e.g. Roku Soundbridge, Squeezebox, et al) presents a slightly different integration problem. All of them attempt to deal with the most common audio formats (MP3, WMA, MP4, etc) and streaming protocols. Not all of them support Flash/RTMP, which is what we use. And to say that "authentication is handled by various schemes" is an understatement. We'd have to target each device individually and spend costly and precious development time figuring out how to make authentication and our streaming protocols work--and there's no guarantee either or both would work on any specific device. As yet none of these
devices has emerged as dominant of their type, so there's not a large user base for any particular one to start with, either. (You're the first and only one
who's written in about the Chumby One.) So it's our worst case development
problem: High cost, low return. So the bottomline is: integration with devices like Chumby One is on our list, but it's a low priority at the moment.

The much higher development priority for us is /mobility/: 2010 will be the year HOS goes mobile on the major smartphone and smart mobile devices, such as the iPhone, Blackberry, Android, and Palm gadgets.

Thanks for writing in about this. I hope you will find other ways to use the
service. You can listen through your home stereo via iTunes/Airport/Airfoil or
by other wireless means. There are directions and more information on this in our Help! section (link next to SIGN IN) under HOW IT WORKS..: