1 (edited by grouper 2010-02-18 08:50:52)

Topic: General Product Suggestions

I sell my Chumby one right now again but I think the general idea behind it is fine so I want to give you guys sime hints how to make it a usefull device instead of a mere plaything:

1. Add Radio/Music Usability:
The current implementation is a joke. No uPnP, no possibility to edit the music menu, which is full of unusable crap (at least for european users who are not interested in US local Radio, local US weather or US-only Music services). Improve the Shoutcast functionality if you are not getting uPnP to work.
2. The wakeup function:
Why does the radio start to stutter when the alarm starts? Why does the radio go out when you stop the alarm? Why is there no button to play a Radio station after the alarm goes out?
3. The main Menu:
Widgets can be removed from the main menu, switched and all that, you cannot add widgets. That´s sort of dumb. Ok you have to do it online with your account. Fine. Than please remove the remaining useless functions as well from the main menu. So you do not need to waste half of the screen for a feature that is not fully operational (managing widgets) and could use it for some functionality.
4. Freezing widgets:
Some of the default widgets caused the chumby to hang. Traileraddicts for example, when I forgot to switch it into night mode.
5. Top Button:
Why does the biggest button have such a limited usability? Returning to the main menu... fine. How about switching between main menu and night mode? Press once=> menu; twice=> night mode

Overall, nice hardware, the sound of the little plastic box surprised me, but the software is nothing you should consider when using it as an everyday tool.

Bye bye Chumby, good luck for future releases!

Re: General Product Suggestions

You can edit the music menu using the /psp/music_order backdoor.  It won't let you remove items, but it will let you prioritize your choices ahead of those you can't use.

I think that channel management will likely be on device in the future... the fact that the Sony Dash has it gives me some hope that it will make the standard UI.

Can you add sources with /psp/music_order? Will it still be there after a reboot?

grouper wrote:

Can you add sources with /psp/music_order?

here the wiki

grouper wrote:

Will it still be there after a reboot?

yes all in *psp* will stay

You can't add sources, just reorder them.  I've put "My Streams" at the top, and that can be edited, either through the GUI or by editing /psp/url_streams directly.

(Well, technically you can add sources to the main screen, but that requires making a couple of flash widgets using the sample files on the wiki and putting them on a USB drive to be loaded as music sources at boot time.  It should be workable, but I've not seen anyone do this yet).