Topic: Wi-Fi dongle replacement - external antenna?

Good day!

I just purchased a set of "Chumby Guts" from the Make! Magazine store, and have spent the last few days exploring it.

Getting it up and running the first time was a bit of an adventure, as has been using it because the wi-fi connection is, to put it nicely, abysmal.  I had to activate it while sitting physically next to the router, and have had to use it in a less-than-preferred location because I simply can't get a usable signal anywhere else. 

Sitting on the corner of my desk with the wi-fi dongle facing the direction of the router, it has less than a thirty-foot clear shot at the router's antennas, and it just barely gets enough of a signal to maintain a wi-fi connection (it frequently drops out if someone stands between the Chumby and the router). 

In the "Chumby Info" screen, on the bottom-most line which reports the signal quality, a typical report from the corner of my desk might read:
link quality: 27
signal: -84 dBm
noise: -115 dBm
This signal shows up as zero to one bar on the menu screen.

Sitting on a desk in the office, about three feet away from the router, I get the strongest signals:
link quality: 67
signal: -72dBm
noise: -107 dBm
This signal appears as 2 to 3 bars on the menu screen.

This just seems to be awfully low reception quality to me, especially considering that other devices on the network (again, a number of them using micro-strip antennas similar to that on the Chumby dongle) have no problem with this same connection at three and four times the range.  Removing the dongle from the riser card and placing it at the end of a USB extension cable away from the unit does not improve the reception.

As I mentioned before, I received my Chumby as a "guts" package from Make! Magazine.  I'm going to be building my unit into an enclosure of some sort soon.  In so doing, I would like to use an external antenna for the Wi-fi connection.  To me, the most readily apparent solution to both of these situations would seem to be replacing the Chumby's dongle with another USB Wi-fi adaptor, which includes an SMA antenna jack.

In browsing - and then searching - the forums here, I have not been able to discern if there is an easy solution to swapping the dongle with another as a drop-in replacement.  Are there any units out there which are a direct replacement for the Xterasys dongle (doesn't require software modification), and have a connector for an external antenna?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide - aside from the wi-fi range issues, I am really enjoying my new Chumby.

Re: Wi-Fi dongle replacement - external antenna?

Anything that has an rt73 on it ought to work, though the driver may need to have the USB IDs added to it.  The rt2x00 project has a (probably outdated) list of devices on their wiki.  Note that we currently use the legacy rt73 driver, not the one maintained by the rt2x00 folks.

ChumbyLurker wrote:

Anything that has an rt73 on it ought to work, though the driver may need to have the USB IDs added to it.  The rt2x00 project has a (probably outdated) list of devices on their wiki.  Note that we currently use the legacy rt73 driver, not the one maintained by the rt2x00 folks.

Okay, I can probably manage that. 
I have an Edimax EW-7318USg adapter available, as is listed in the chart you referenced previously. 

Just one question:  How involved is the process of adding the USB IDs to the driver?  I'm primarily a hardware person (thus having no compunctions about building a new enclosure around my kit of guts). I have some experience with software and microcontrollers of various flavors, but nothing as yet on the level of reverse-engineering device drivers for a device like the Chumby. 

Out of league for a relative lightweight, or something that's easier than it sounds?

Sorry I took so long to respond - having just gone round and round with an apparently faulty wifi dongle (I was waiting for a replacement unit), I still have extremely short range and weak signals to the device.  I'd love to be able to put a real antenna on my Chumby and get some actual usability out of it.  As it is, I have to keep it perched up on the corner of the desk, where it has a direct line of sight to the router (less than 30 feet away), and it still barely maintains a connection.

It doesn't look like that driver is in the list of supported IDs in the driver right now.  Which means it would need to be added to the driver, recompiled, then reflashed onto the device.

Well, theoretically the process is simple: Add the line "{USB_DEVICE(0x7392, 0x7318)}" to rtmp_def.h and reload the module.  Getting it actually working would be a bit more involved.

The first hurdle is getting the kernel and wifi module buildable.  If you want, I can do this and just post a replacement rt73.ko.

Then, you need to copy off the root filesystem, mount it on a Linux machine, replace the file, re-create the cramfs partition, then burn it back onto NAND flash.  There might be instructions for doing that on our wiki.  And if not, we can help you do that.  I think there's at least a forum posting about it.

But I thought the wifi cards that are part of the maker kit had an SMA antenna connector on them already.  Is that not the case with yours?

You can get an external antenna.  The Wi-Fi or card as I call it the Why Fail card has a SMT connector for an external antenna.

http://www.halted.com/  in Santa Clara Ca, sells an antenna for $1.95 that brought me from no signal to 2-3 bars.

It is not on their website.  You have to call them. 
Description: 
Wi-Fi antenna with smt connector for $1.95 on front end cap with Trimble GPS  antennas.

Here are links to the wifi antenna.
Both same, except one is a 2.5" lead the other has a 9" lead.

http://www.halted.com/commerce/catalog/ … t_id=24191
http://www.halted.com/commerce/catalog/ … t_id=24192

7 (edited by pearsalice 2009-12-21 16:12:59)

There's a easy technique to get signals where it's not possible to have signals or you are having low signals.
Take a foil sheet. Wrap foil sheet around antenna. That will boost signals strength.

Well, I seem to have solved the range issue, and then forgot to post an update here.

I dug up a source for an adapter pigtail to run between the U.FL connector on the dongle to an RP-SMA chassis-mount connector.  A short 2 dBi antenna does an adequate job of extending the range over my previous situation, though it still seems a bit weaker than I would expect at this range.  5, 7, and 9 dBi antennas result in correspondingly better signal quality, but I stuck with the 2 dBi stubby in order to avoid the "antenna with a device attached to it" look, since it works reliably enough that way.

Will the antennas listed at Halted work with the Chumby One?  My Wifi connection hovers around 50% most of the time and streaming radio isn't all the reliable.

The chumby One doesn't have an antenna adapter, unfortunately.  It's got a strip antenna that you could probably attach something to, though.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone doing this modification.  I'm having a weird problem that seems to be connectivity related.  The Chumby One will loose connection and won't re-connect.  I have to do one of two things 1.  Go to the Control panel and manual re-connect or 2. Cycle the power to the Chumby if #1 doesn't work.  Usually #1 works just fine.  I get 2-3 bars on the signal strength meter but I cant remember the signal strength reading that's reported on the INFO page.  I'm not sure why Chumby One will not automatically reconnect to the network.

--
Michael
Chumby Classic moved to the Kitchen
Chumby One doing Alarm Clock duty

ChumbyLurker wrote:

The chumby One doesn't have an antenna adapter, unfortunately.  It's got a strip antenna that you could probably attach something to, though.

How about a step by step on how to do this with pictures would be good! This seems like something alot of us will need to do as I've seen a bunch of compliants on wifi signal quality?

Duane is there anything you guys can do with software or driver tweeks to improve the wifi signal?

Before I take apart my new Chumby One, I am going to play around with some wireless settings.  With my current setup, the Chum by mostly works, but Pandora streaming was a bit hit or miss. 

I have started with forcing a lower rate.  I ssh'd into chumby and use the following command:

iwconfig wlan0 rate 12M

This will force TX to 12mbps.  Seems to be working okay now, but it won't be until the evening when I can really test it.  I suspect that there becomes more wireless traffic after everyone in my building gets home from work. 

The other thing owrth trying is:

iwconfig wlan0 rts xxx (where xxx is the min packet size to use handshaking)

Which will force a handshake before each transmission.  It should help in environments with lots of active nodes (even if they aren't on your network) and hidden node (nodes that your AP can see by your chumby can't and thus cause collisions).

I was toying with the idea of buying another Ralink based WiFi dongle with an SMA connector and replacing the included one....

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s … d=57860093

I'm going out of town and this project will probably wait until after the holidays.....maybe someone else will have found a workable solution before I can get back to it...

--
Michael

@harmlessgryphon

Well, I got one of the Ralink adapters referenced by http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=24726#p24726.

Almost works... The vendor ID Chipset is 148f:3070 Ralink Technology, Corp. Plugging it into the Chumby 1 loads the rx2500usb driver, but it can't do anything because the "3070" device ID is unknown.. Need to add the 3070 Product ID to the rx2500usb.c source, and have successfully built the kernel and md5sum the wilresless ko drivers, however I notice that there are modules in the chumby:/lib/modules/2.6.28-chumby/updates/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/
which are not built by the source code posted at http://files.chumby.com/source/.

What to do?

Actually, I lied. It does load... Can't make it associate using iwconfig. Anyone have an idea?

[ 3903.610000] usb 1-1.1: new high speed USB device using fsl-ehci and address 4
[ 3903.770000] usb 1-1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 3904.310000] phy2: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel'
[ 3904.340000] Registered led device: rt2800usb-phy2::radio
[ 3904.350000] Registered led device: rt2800usb-phy2::assoc
[ 3904.360000] Registered led device: rt2800usb-phy2::quality
[ 3904.390000] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2800usb
[ 3904.860000] rt2800usb 1-1.1:1.0: firmware: requesting rt2870.bin
[ 3905.540000] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan1: link is not ready

wlan1     IEEE 802.11bgn  Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Tx-Power=16 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:on

harmlessgryphon wrote:

@sonex293:

Any updates on the replacement adapter?

I did order the adapter.  This past weekend I removed the internal USB WiFi key and re-assembled the ChumbyOne.  I verified that the old key worked in the external USB slot and then tried the new key without success.  I plugged the new WiFi Key into a laptop and it didn't work there!  It recognizes the adapter, just can't find any networks.  Looks like I got a dud and it's not worth trying to get it replaced since it was $13 shipped.  Oh well, I'll probably dissect the new WiFi key and see if there are any obvious problems with solder, etc.

--
Michael

You got an rt2800, which we were experimenting with when the device was released.  The symptoms we were seeing were that it would load and you could see the MAC address, but you couldn't actually do anything with it.

Newer rt2800 drivers were merged last month, so I'll see if I can't pull a newer version of compat-wireless to get them working.  But as of right now, we don't support the rt2800.

ChumbyLurker wrote:

You got an rt2800, which we were experimenting with when the device was released.  The symptoms we were seeing were that it would load and you could see the MAC address, but you couldn't actually do anything with it.

Newer rt2800 drivers were merged last month, so I'll see if I can't pull a newer version of compat-wireless to get them working.  But as of right now, we don't support the rt2800.

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to support for this device. Very strong signal on my laptop.
Would be nice if there was a Wiki entry maintained on  compatible devices, something akin to the http://www.seattlewireless.net/HardwareComparison.

The way I look at it, the USB interface is the key to allowing the Chumby to support a huge array of different devices and then of course, widgets.

More current access to the source code would also help...

We actually pull wireless drivers straight from http://wireless.kernel.org/download/com … eless-2.6/ and make a few minor modifications.  Namely we fix the Makefile so that it will cross-compile, and we add in the asix USB ethernet driver that otherwise wouldn't work because compat-wireless adds in a new version of usbcore.

We've published our released version of compat-wireless and the linux kernel, but I'll see what I can do to get a better way of accessing the source code than tarball drops.

Like public git repositories of the Chumby branches? big_smile

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Hi!
Any news on this topic?  Will a new rt2x00 driver part of a new firmware. My draft-n rt2870 is eager to work with my Chumby1 ;-)
Did anybody made already a port of the newer drivers to chumby1?

Regards
Werner

Found a Working WiFi Dongle

Finally, and this thing is great! Much better range and signal strength. Ordered from http://www.oxfordtec.com/

SparkLAN WL-685R WLAN 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless USB Dongle (Ralink RT2571WF) $15.99 +sh

Just plugged it in and restarted, can finally use the Chumby more than 20 ft from the wireless router (actually it's 50ft now, through several walls...

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"Home"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 00:22:75:A1:5D:68
          Bit Rate=36 Mb/s   Tx-Power=5 dBm
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=36/70  Signal level=-74 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

big_smile

Are you using the SparkLan USB dongle outside the Chumby case, or did you replace the internal one with it and leave it mounted internally?

unwiredben wrote:

Are you using the SparkLan USB dongle outside the Chumby case, or did you replace the internal one with it and leave it mounted internally?

Just used the dongle outside, no muss no fuss...