Topic: Use rotary encoder knob for widget selection

While the "press the button and tilt the chumby" is okay for going between previous and next widgets, how about providing an option to use the knob to scroll through the widgets on a channel?

I haven't used the knob as a volume control yet, and I don't really like having to press a button and tilt the chumby to get another widget.

Would anyone else like to have this?

Re: Use rotary encoder knob for widget selection

I would. Actually, I was hoping for a way to control the widget being displayed either by using the encoder (make it an advanced feature if it's not compatible with n00bs using the chumby) OR having a selectable overlay so that the corners of the screen controlled the widgets. (Possibly an issue with stomping on the functionality of the running widget)

Hindsight is 20-20, but if the rotary encoder could have ALSO had a push button function, it would have enabled this nicely (push once for channel, just rotate for volume.)

Maybe it is possible to combine the button and the knob:
- Turn knob: change volume
- Press top button and turn knob: change widget

An encoder or overlay sounds good to me. I intend to mount my Chumby guts inside a kitchen cabinet, so the tilt sensors wont be any use to me!

rudison wrote:

Maybe it is possible to combine the button and the knob:
- Turn knob: change volume
- Press top button and turn knob: change widget

Me likey. I would like the option to be press top button + turn knob = change channels. I change channels more then I change widgets since I use channels like on a TV... I've got a news channel, a weather channel, etc.

Press top button and turn knob: change widget
+1
Just logged in to suggest this feature too but already beaten to it.

One other thought, how about implementing a menu for the change such that a menu with the widgets in that channel showing and using the knob to highlight the widget you want.
Once highlighted letting go of the top button would load the highlighted widget rather than scrolling through the widgets.

+1

+1

+1