Re: Control Panel Not Accessable

There seems to be a second problem where sometimes the battery temperature monitor won't ever complete a temperature measurement, so it will get stuck in the kernel waiting for a response.  This is particularly bad, because the flashplayer will become unkillable waiting in the kernel.

You can manually reschedule a measurement which should unfreeze the flashplayer and make it killable by running:

regutil -w HW_LRADC_CTRL0_SET=1

I would be very interested to hear if this also helps fix the device.

I don't have a battery in mine (not sure if that makes a difference) but if I see the problem again, I'll try this as well.  Thanks for the update!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

OK, no battery in mine (as previously stated) and the following did nothing for helping my "freeze":

Dog Gone fantom alarm is going to get me slapped at 03:15 AM daily.
rm -r -y *

Materdaddy wrote:

Hello,

sorry! I´m a newbie (Chumby & Linux) and I  have some problems with the language too.

Is that the right answer for the problem?

Thanks
Heinz-Georg

That is a work-around/test that the Chumby developers wanted somebody experiencing this "freeze" to try out.  They will have an official release at some point that will provide a real fix for the problem.

Hello,

here is a short report.

I didn´t make the workaround with "regutil -w HW_LRADC_CTRL0_SET=1"

During the first gambling with my chumby, it show this problem too. I think, it´s a problem with often changing the music station & playing with the widget at the same time.

Now it´s on his place in the kitchen & works always very well. I always stop the station I´m listening to, then change to another. It´s running since four day. (I switch very often between stations.)

Thanks
Heinz-Georg

Please try the beta firmware to see if that addresses the issue.  Both lockups should be fixed.

I just got a Chumby last night, and have already had to pull the plug several times to get around the unresponsive control panel button.  I'll load the beta firmware tonight and see if it fixes it.  I've not connected a keyboard, but I did want to add that I've also had it happen w/o playing music:  I loaded the "talking clock", this morning I clicked the face to hear the time, and got nothing.  Touched it several times, then tried the control panel, and it was locked (again).  I had not played music since the last time that it locked up before going to sleep last night.  Don't know if the audio in the talking clock triggers the same issue as music channels, but just wanted to submit this.  Hopefully the beta firmware will fix it.

Wait, now I'm confused... I see there was a Chumby update yesterday.  Mine did update after I set it up last night, though I can't say for sure if it's the latest update it got, or a previous one (since I just set it up).  But assuming it got the latest update, should this issue be fixed?!?  I saw that the time issue (also part of this same beta) is listed as fixed in yesterday's update, but no mention of the control panel issue.  Should I still try the beta firmware, or should it have been addressed in yesterdays update?

ChumbyLurker wrote:

Please try the beta firmware to see if that addresses the issue.  Both lockups should be fixed.

So what's the status of this?  Just after this, a critical firmware update was released to close a security hole, which didn't include any fixes in this beta.  It's been over FOUR months, and this is still open.  I'm still having to reset my Chumby because the control panel locks up.  If an official firmware update isn't on the horizon, how hard would it be to apply the security hole fix to the previous beta?

Has this been fixed in the new (2.8.57) update?

63 (edited by jodythebad 2010-08-20 15:12:38)

I'm running the 1.0.4 fw and still having the problem with the top button.  It works right after a reboot, but after running the channel for any amount of time, it becomes completely unresponsive.  The apps work, touchscreen responds, etc, but the top button does absolutely nothing.  Any suggestions?

Is anyone still experiencing this issue with CP 2.8.57?

Yes, I got my device yesterday, immediately updated it to CP 2.8.57 and I've had this problem twice already. Both times it seemed to be related to the alarm. And yes, the widgets operate very sluggishly while this is going on. The weather panel widget doesn't manage to display anything before moving to the next widget. I've only deleted widgets and added a channel with just the bunny of the day widget.

I tried enabling the "/psp/hotspot" and it does not seem to work. I want to enable it as the button seems kind of loud. Any ideas? How big is the spot (could I somehow be missing it)?

It looks like I forgot to mention this is for the Chumby One. Does this hotspot work on it?