Topic: Next firmware version...?

Okay, so I'm reading Steve over on the chumby blog, and he's telling me about all the cool new things that chumby's going to be able to do. And it all sounds awesome, with a side order of brilliant. But the thing is, will my alpha chumby be getting a new firmware and new control panel any time soon?

(On an altogether different note, the game I'm working on at work right now is being packaged for PC, Mac and chumby - how cool is that?)

Re: Next firmware version...?

The differences between the alpha and production chumbys is enough that the firmware image for the production units will not install on the alphas.

However, the similarities are enough that it should be possible to create a firmware build that *will* install.  I think the biggest barrier is the partition layout of the NAND, so it would have to be a two-step (and rather dangerous from a potential bricking standpoint) update.

We have an open "bug" to create an updated firmware image for alphas, but it's lower priority than the production firmware.

As someone that has a couple of Katamaris at home, I'm just as interested in seeing them updated if for no other reason than I'd hate to see them go to waste - and sentiment.  These little guys have been with me for nearly a year now, diligently showing me widgets.

Re: Next firmware version...?

I guess the kind of people who have a chumby already are the kind of people who are prepared to skip around the obstacles that could result in bricking, so that's not really a problem! Even if a full feature set isn't possible on the older hardware, being able to swap between widget sets and pause on one in particular would make a world of difference, it has to be said.