Topic: Canadian Consumers

I was wondering if it will be possible for Canadian customers to order a Chumby once it has been put into production. I am willing to pay any extra shipping charges just to be able to get my hands on one of these great pieces of technology. I don't see why it would be too complicated to ship to Canada, especially with services like FedEx and UPS. Again, the extra charges won't turn me off. I know it will be as big a hit here as it will be in the US.

-Jason

Re: Canadian Consumers

It's less of a shipping issue than a regulatory/certification issue.

We've passed FCC in the US, and we'd very likely pass Canadian DOC requirements, but we still have to go through the process for each country separately, which can be expensive and time consuming.

Not to bring back an old thread from the dead, but do we have any updates on the chumbies in Canada issue? Are the devices being reviewed by the DOC yet?

Just curious. I'm Really looking forward to using these guys.

Not yet - we're still ramping up US delivery.  I'll bring this issue up internally, though.

Duane wrote:

Not yet - we're still ramping up US delivery.  I'll bring this issue up internally, though.

Thanks for the quick reply Duane smile.

I'll probably post in this thread again in a couple of months and see how its going, hope you don't mind wink

any news?

Yeah - we're actively assessing the magnitude of the issue to report to management.

One thing that seems to be the case with Canada that's throwing us is the French language requirements.

8 (edited by Coniferous 2007-10-29 14:23:16)

Of course, i understand translating will take a while.

I should probably take a closer look at the laws, but i belive only the documentation has to be in french as well. Hmm...

eigther way, thanks for the update smile

Yes, thanks for the update! I am anxiously awaiting the Chumby's to be sold in Canada. For now, my Chumby Insiders Ticket will have to be kept lukewarm in my Inbox.

Thanks,

MM

10 (edited by Pattmyn 2007-11-25 11:08:14)

Duane wrote:

One thing that seems to be the case with Canada that's throwing us is the French language requirements.

Being bilingual in both French and English, I will happily help the Chumby team translate if that means I can get my paws on one of these faster in the north here. smile

PS: I registered to the forums just to state that.

11 (edited by Coniferous 2008-02-16 09:49:30)

Six months, and 2 chumby revisions later - still no french documentation or shipping to canada.

Not to be dismissive here, but whats the hold up? How long does something like this take?

We've been so caught up in getting the product done that internationalization has taken a back seat.

As I mentioned in another thread, that have been some unexpected legal barriers in addition to the normal regulatory burdens.

In the particular case of Canada, a major Canadian company sent us a cease-and-desist letter, and that situation is in the hands of the lawyers and business folks.  Needless to say, that significantly dampened our enthusiasm for addressing the Canadian market, at least in the short term.

Overall, though, there's significant interest in getting chumbys sold world wide within the company - it's just a *lot* of work on top of the incredible volume of stuff we have to get through just for the US alone.

>In the particular case of Canada, a major Canadian company sent us a cease-and-desist letter, and that situation is in the hands of the lawyers and business folks.

Ackk...

Thats not nice. nor is it easy to deal with. Good luck guys.

I've seen Chumbies on eBay, offering reasonable shipping to Canada. Not that *I* would ever import something without CSA approval. ;-)

mwickens wrote:

I've seen Chumbies on eBay, offering reasonable shipping to Canada. Not that *I* would ever import something without CSA approval. ;-)

Yeah, i understand thats a possibility too. Its just... I dunno. i'd rather just buy it from chumby directly.

Well if you got ill skills you can have one wink

Are you willing to name the Cdn co. that issued you the C&D letter?

No, unfortunately, I can't since we're in discussions with them - in the meantime, however, *another* Canadian company has sent us a letter threatening to sue us.

And I thought the *US* was litigious.

Guess I won't be offering to rep your product here just yet ...

What's the big issue with bringing this into Canada?
Is it the bilingual issue?  Competing companies in Canada??

I just dont understand what the big commotion is but I can certainly say that I DID NOT get mine from ebay!

***Join the "Widget Lovers Unite!" Facebook Group!***
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 … 3404925571

soo...any news on shipping the Chumby to Canada?

i would *reallly* like to order one for my GF...

if you have problem with the bilingual things, just know that i'm a french-canadian and i am willing to give my time to this project

thanks,

mat

No movement on Canada - we still have a Canadian company threatening to sue us if we sell and ship chumbys there.

wow..i really don't understand..how can a chumby be threathening?!??!

it's soo cuuuuuuttteee!!! ( ok..that sounded a bit weird coming from me)

I've just imported three into Australia .. we love it ..

I find myself wondering what company could sue Chumby Industries for shipping their product in Canada, and on what grounds...