Topic: Classy outer casing.

Hi,

I got to say i love this little invention.

For those who have more experience with them, how hard will it be to get the chumby out of the squishable sack thing and into a hard case?

I would like to have this at work, and i am thinking of building it into a picture frame. Neither i nor my boss would be happy with a squishy/furry/colourful thing on my desk, but if i could get the chumby built in below a static picture i think that would be ace.

So, how difficult are these home projects going to be?

Can't wait to get my hands on one either way. Hopefully UK release will be at same time or i can find someone who will ship out.

smile

Re: Classy outer casing.

Well, it's not actually furry - the prototypes have more of a felt-like surface, much like a Beanie Baby.  I believe the production units have a more leathery fabric.

The electronics actually pop out - and can be remounted.  Several people have remounted the electronics in all sorts of enclosures.

Making your own case it relatively easy, here's a photoset of a case I made for work.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauric/set … 064752283/

I'm not 100% happy with the legs, I might change them for shorter, fatter wooden legs.

At the moment with the early models, it is easy to pop out the front and get it out of the case. I read somewhere though that the production model will have the bezel glued into the surround. I also heard that you can get an electronics only kit but I am still waiting to hear about the possibility of buying spare plastic/rubber parts.

As for making another case...let your imagination run wild! I have been attaching textile cases to the rubber surround by stitching and glue. It is a bit of a fiddly process at times but doable. A hardcase is an even simpler proposition.

Angela wrote:

At the moment with the early models, it is easy to pop out the front and get it out of the case. I read somewhere though that the production model will have the bezel glued into the surround. I also heard that you can get an electronics only kit but I am still waiting to hear about the possibility of buying spare plastic/rubber parts.

As for making another case...let your imagination run wild! I have been attaching textile cases to the rubber surround by stitching and glue. It is a bit of a fiddly process at times but doable. A hardcase is an even simpler proposition.

Now that the production ones are out and about, has there been any thought of posting step-by-step directions on Chumby case removal?  I want to take mine apart to put in a custom case, (and solder on a serial header) but have only done slight pulling/prodding of the case.  I don't want to completely destroy the standard Chumby case, in case I ever want to put it back in the sack.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker