Topic: Chumby One

Any more info about the new model coming in Nov?

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2009/09/29/new … ck-thingy/

Re: Chumby One

The article said it would have a built in FM radio, is that true?

Huh. I heard rumors a new model was coming, but not this soon!

I'm not so keen on the design (I LIKE the squishiness of my chumby!) but the fact it's only 100 bucks is pretty nice. Might be a fabulous xmas gift for my mom and dad. smile

4 (edited by MSlafka 2009-09-30 19:01:43)

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=4092

I like it, and from a business perspective, it's a great idea to introduce an "entry-level" Chumby (the Porsche Boxster of Chumbies?).  While it doesn't have the pick-it-up appeal that the "Classic" has, it's a great way to get people interested in the Chumby who otherwise wouldn't get one.

Will the battery be able to power the device for any length of time (if so, how long?), or will it mainly serve as a battery backup in case of a power failure?

Will it come in different colors?

Are there any special features associated with the FM radio (digital "HD" radio?  display current song/artist?  ability to record?)?

$99 intro pricing will get me to pick another Chumby up for the kitchen just for weather info.  Ambient wants $199 for a standalone weather forecaster and we all know the Chumby can do weather and more for half the price.

Some questions:

Will it be delivered to Spain and Germany? What about the AC adaptor?

How is the battery going to work? If it is not included should we have to pay extra for it to you? or looking for for a compatible one in a shop?

Cheers

Cool, great work Team Chumby!

While the price point is fantastic, and the battery feature is great, I just have to say . . .

Compared to my friendly little Black Leather Chumby, the Chumby One is, not to put too fine a point on it, chugly.

I'll still probably buy one for the wife. And yes, I do love her wink

Standard rechargeable battery is enabled, but not included.  International plug-power adaptor *is* included.  Should get at least an hour's play time from it, possibly longer.  We'll be shipping these all over the world, though still working out exactly when we'll be able to go international -- as always, the issues of certifications, regulations, etc.  We now have a distributor in Europe, so hopefully easier local product availability will improve.  One color only (the white with blue trim) for now -- so an adaptation of the "Henry Ford Model T" strategy on this, so hope you like it! :^)  Nothing special about the FM other than that it is available for those who still love it -- speaking frankly, I'm not even sure why anyone would care much about this because we have so many other crystal clear digital internet music services and are dramatically beefing up our streamed local radio stations via iheartradio from Clear Channel.  Local stations via iheartradio often also include cool "meta-information" like song title, album art, lyrics, etc.  I think you're going to like the "one" but many will still prefer the "classic" because they're a little different -- so now you'll have a choice.

When will you be announcing the differences between the two models? I *need* to know which one I'll be getting!
My bet is that the Chumby One won't have an accelerometer.
Can't you give us something else, Steve, other than what has been already disclosed? smile

OK, here's a brief summary:

The internal codename is "Falconwing", and has the hardware version 10.6
The processor is a Freescale i.MX233 ARM926E-J-S @ 454MHz
It uses the same display and touchscreen as the Ironforge 3.8
It uses a nearly identical wifi dongle as the one in Ironforge 3.8
It has an accelerometer, just like Ironforge
There's a button on the top that performs the same action as the top switch on Ironforge
It has a single speaker on the top
It has a headphone jack, supporting stereo
There is no charm attachment
It doesn't come with charms
It doesn't come in a linen bag
It has only one external USB port, but it's USB 2.0 Hi-speed (Ironforge is Full-speed).
The FM radio supports RDS, so it will collect station callsigns and some program information
The FM radio is *not* Hybrid Digital
It has a rotary encoder (the knob on the right side), which is exposed to Flash as a mouse wheel - it's normally used by the Control Panel to control volume, but can be available for widgets using the onMouseWheel event handler.
It includes the microphone.
It has the same amount of RAM (64MB) as the Ironforge.
The device does *not* have NAND flash - it boots from, and uses, a 2GB MicroSD card for storage.
It runs a newer kernel than Ironforge, and will support virtually all of the hacks that Ironforge supports.
It supports a standard NP-120 LiON battery (very commonly available) which will keep the device going from about an hour up to two hours depending upon what you're doing and the quality of the battery.
It does not include the battery.

It will support some very interesting hardware and software hacks that we'll talk more about later.

We'll be posting schematics shortly, so you can take a closer look at the hardware.

From a widget development standpoint, there's very little difference between this device and the current Chumby.

That's great, Duane! You pretty much covered (almost) everything I wanted to know! Thanks! smile

Duane - Thank you!  Very nice.  Sold.

14 (edited by Zoltar 2009-10-01 14:28:04)

Went to walgreens. did not find there, when is going to be in walgreens or costco?

or marshals??

I just discovered this device some days ago, I was getting some info and i decided to buy it. I saw a new version is coming so i will wait, but,

Here I see lots of specifications are the same than the previous one, and some, are worse, just one usb port, one speaker (what about its quality?)...

I also would like to ask about the product in Europa. Will it be found in shops? The prize in euros?

Thank you

Any idea how difficult it is to take apart?
It's the same price as the naked Chumby.

17 (edited by burkhardi 2009-10-02 04:57:59)

With the low price point and the optional battery this will get your user base so much larger. KUDOS!
Most people I talk to either don't like the $199 price or the fact that it has to be plugged in (that and the now fixed issue of wake on power).

Speaking of that, I assume the FalconWing will turn on (if set that way) when you apply power (i.e. Power loss)?

Are there contacts on the bottom for an optinal charging dock?

once again GREAT WORK! I don't see how this will not be one of the best moves y'all have done. Betweem the marriage of Chumby networks and some digital picture frames and TV's as well as the FalconWing, it should be time to do the happy dance at Chumby Industries!

I just went from having one (IronForge) and being happy to now wanting to get another for my house and perhaps one for my parents too.

Will this be out in time for Christmas?

EDIT:
Will there be options in the firmwares (and if so, I assume they will be missing or greyed out in the upsupported devices UI) that are only supported by the IronForge or FalconWing and not both (due to hardware)?

Zoltar wrote:

Went to walgreens. did not find there, when is going to be in walgreens or costco?

or marshals??

Zoltar "sight" not extend to Brick and Mortar either?

What kind of mystic is Zoltar, anyway?

davidgruty wrote:

Here I see lots of specifications are the same than the previous one, and some, are worse, just one usb port, one speaker (what about its quality?)...

You can't reduce costs this radically without making some tradeoffs.  We found that *most* people either didn't use the USB port at all, or only used one port.  Between that and some geometry concerns, we only included the single port - however, that port is much faster.  For the few people that want multiple ports, there are very cheap USB hubs on the market that will work.

The single speaker sounds pretty good - note that on the Ironforge chumby, the two speakers were pretty close to each other, so the stereo separation wasn't all that strong anyway.  We care about audio - many reviewers express (good) surprise at the quality of audio from Ironforge.

I also would like to ask about the product in Europa. Will it be found in shops? The prize in euros?

We will be putting this device through the process of getting the appropriate certifications for Europe - we know how to do that now, since we've done that for Ironforge.  We have a European distributor - they will be setting the price.

gregf wrote:

Any idea how difficult it is to take apart?
It's the same price as the naked Chumby.

Part of the cost reduction was due to the use of injection-molded plastics rather than hand-stitched Italian leather.  As a result, the device is easier to put together, and therefore also easier to take apart.

The "naked chumby" is based on Ironforge 3.8 electronics, which are pricier than Falconwing's.

burkhardi wrote:

Speaking of that, I assume the FalconWing will turn on (if set that way) when you apply power (i.e. Power loss)?

Yes - it behaves like the 3.8 (aka "2009") Ironforge chumby devices.

Are there contacts on the bottom for an optinal charging dock?

No - the battery charges off the AC, or can be easily removed to charge on some other charging device.

Will this be out in time for Christmas?

That's the plan.

Will there be options in the firmwares (and if so, I assume they will be missing or greyed out in the upsupported devices UI) that are only supported by the IronForge or FalconWing and not both (due to hardware)?

Anyone familiar with Ironforge firmware will feel right at home.

Both devices will run the same Control Panel - it detects which device it's running on and presents slightly different options, just as it currently presents slightly different UIs for 3.7 and 3.8 Ironforges (such as the brightness screen).  For instance, the Falconwing will include "FM Radio" in the Music sources screen, the dashed outline in the main Control Panel screen looks different, etc.  We'll be attempting to keep the devices in feature sync as much as possible given the inherent differences.

Thank you for the answer.

Just one more question,

Will it be available in Europe by the end of the month as well?

davidgruty wrote:

Thank you for the answer.

Just one more question,

Will it be available in Europe by the end of the month as well?

I don't know the answer to that.  We're fast-tracking the certification process, but much of the timing is out of our hands.

The There are very inexpensive WIFI chips which include N as well as Hybred digital radio.
These parts cost literally a buck or two would it really be too much to ask for a cutting edge device? Why dumb it down? so much.

look here:
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/555766
and here:
http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=1233460
In light of the $99.00 price tag and the similarities and the inclusion of a "dial" Why is the Orignal chumby so expensive when compared to this  new unit? Or rather why is the new one so cheap? The cost of high speed USB x1 vs full speed x2 really can't account for it.
There are plenty of very inexpensive multipurpose chips  available these days for advanced features to NOT be included.

FM, Bluetooth, and even GPS could be included. Giving the hackers something to play with.
These features do not even need to be enabled but they included in the hardware design at minimal cost.
I am guessing that the price point demanded cheap parts and there was not any room to play.
Maybe in the next version....
Yaesumofo

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

"Nothing special about the FM other than that it is available for those who still love it -- speaking frankly, I'm not even sure why anyone would care much about this "

To get a local station, in the morning to get traffic reports.