1 (edited by scottjanousek 2007-04-12 07:40:07)

Topic: update log page in menu? What is "chumbooty loot"?

1.) I noticed that back on 03/08/2007 there was some maintenance going on ... I know the chumby featureset will probably be frozen soon, but for "v2" ... might be useful to have a page perhaps in the menu to get latest service news like upgrades, maintenance, etc.

Perhaps this even exists now, but has not been rolled out yet ... anyways I only mention it because of the recent non-existent update due to website upgrade ... for a few minutes I thought there was a new release, then quickly realized the team was probably working on, or testing something ...

However in production, it'd probably confuse the average consumer and generate emails and tech support calls.

Perhaps something like what's in Add/Remove programs in XP (where SP's are listed), or OSX ... or perhaps just a log of text messages, etc.

2.) Is it too early to know what "chumbooty loot" is? Did I miss this? If it is upcoming, no need to comment (unless someone knows about it, and wants to).

3.) Is the chumby utilizing Flash Lite for all the menu UI, or just pieces (forgive if it's not even Flash Lite, I seem to recall this as true, but I wanted to reconfirm this).

www.scottjanousek.com/blog | scottjanousek.mobi
Adobe Flash Lite Certified Training Instructor | Adobe Community Expert - Mobile & Devices
Coauthor, Foundation Flash Applications for Mobile Devices - www.flashmobilebook.com
O_o ... Enjoy your chumby!

Re: update log page in menu? What is "chumbooty loot"?

1) Chumby's webpage is a great source of info for that, and they have a system to automatically push out updates that works pretty well from what I've seen.

2) Probably.

3) Flash Lite is the player on Chumby. The menu is a Flash movie and your widgets are movies that are loaded into that movie.

1) We're putting together a more comprehensive system to QA, stage, and deploy new versions of the website so we don't have a repeat of the erroneous update notification.  The cause of that problem was very subtle and was due to some rather interesting and entertaining interactions between the website and some of the services used by the chumby that was difficult to spot without a full simulation of the entire system end-to-end, including DNS entries.

2)  I'm not sure why "chumbooty loot" is mentioned on the front page - I'll flag the web folks about it.  Presumably Steve T will say something public about it at the appropriate time.

3) The Control Panel is indeed a FlashLite movie - everything you see on the screen after the initial static screens (which are just images dumped into the frame buffer by the bootloader and kernel) is done with Flash, starting with the little "swimming" animation.

1. Sound good. Again, I understood what was likely happening, but other's may not. I just noticed the post in forums about the occurence and remembered that particular day I was using it.

2. ok.

3. I just wanted to confirm for sure. Some devices out there have a mixture of Flash Lite and native UI, so I just wanted to recheck.

www.scottjanousek.com/blog | scottjanousek.mobi
Adobe Flash Lite Certified Training Instructor | Adobe Community Expert - Mobile & Devices
Coauthor, Foundation Flash Applications for Mobile Devices - www.flashmobilebook.com
O_o ... Enjoy your chumby!