1 (edited by Darkbee 2009-07-17 20:25:08)

Topic: RESOLVED: Reset Corrupt "Special Options" Possible?

I understand that the software that handles the "special options" screen is held on a different partition from the main OS.  Is there a way to reset/update this as it appears as if I may have corrupt it somehow.

I recently tried to update the firmware to version 1.7.1, but when the Chumby reboot to the special options screen, it just hung.  I tried using a USB flash drive to perform the update but it does the same thing, as soon as "Loading Special Options" appears on the screen, the Chumby appears to go no further.  I've left the Chumby for several minutes but nothing seems to be happening, just the "loading special options" text on the screen.

One thing that did occur prior to this problem is that I was using the previous latest version (1.7?), but the Chumby suddenly stopped working.   It would boot, and seemingly go through all the usual steps but then go to a completely blank screen when attempting to load a Chumby Widget (Chumbyland again).  At this point the Chumby was unresponsive, neither the top button or tapping the screen would get any response.

I did a manual downgrade (via USB drive) to version 1.6 (which was fine because of a conflict between Chumbyland widget and version 1.7) and that worked ok.  The Chumby then seemed to work fine.  However, I then discovered that version 1.7.1 was out and thought I'd upgrade, and that's when I started having the problem.

Any ideas of what I can do?  Is there a way I can SSH in and re-install the "special options" partition?

Chumby Info:- HW:3.8, SW:1.6.0, FW:733

Re: RESOLVED: Reset Corrupt "Special Options" Possible?

Yes there is a way to restore "Special Options" from the main partition.

Download and unpack the 1.7.1 update to a USB dongle and insert it per these instructions (scroll to "updating with a usb flash drive" and do steps 1 & 2).

From the "normal mode", go to the Control Panel, then Settings, then Chumby Info.

Touch the "pi" symbol in the upper right - this will take you to a hidden screen. You should see a button that will allow you to restore the Special Options partition from the USB dongle.

If you did any other hacks as part of your downgrade to 1.6 (hosts file hacking, etc), you'll want to undo those as well.

Duane wrote:

Yes there is a way to restore "Special Options" from the main partition.

Download and unpack the 1.7.1 update to a USB dongle and insert it per these instructions (scroll to "updating with a usb flash drive" and do steps 1 & 2).

From the "normal mode", go to the Control Panel, then Settings, then Chumby Info.

Touch the "pi" symbol in the upper right - this will take you to a hidden screen. You should see a button that will allow you to restore the Special Options partition from the USB dongle.

If you did any other hacks as part of your downgrade to 1.6 (hosts file hacking, etc), you'll want to undo those as well.

Thanks Duane for responding so quickly, that did the trick!

And for any searching the forums that has a similar problem here's what I did to fix it (basically as Duane suggested):
1. Make sure you've download the latest update to your USB drive and it is inserted into the Chumby.
2. On the Control Panel go to Settings.
3. Choose Chumby Info.
4. Click the "Pi" symbol in the top right hand corner.
5. Choose "Repair Safe Mode".
6. Chumby will bring up a screen saying it's updating, let it do it's thing.
7. Once finished it will take you back to the Control Panel.
8. You should now be able to get passed the "Loading Special Options" screen and update as normal.

One small note, I personally didn't do any other hacking, so I was done here but others might have to restore other settings as Duane suggested.

Thanks again Duane, you rock! smile

I'm glad it worked for you!

5 (edited by cbreeze 2009-07-18 11:43:43)

Darkbee wrote:

Chumbyland again

I know where you live Darkbee...at least in Chumbyland. tongue

And to set the record straight, I have been getting very positive reports regarding the new update and Chumbyland usage.  Thanks Duane (and any others) for making that happen!

I am having the same problems with my Chumby. So I executed the steps to update the Special Options section. It told me that it was succesfully installed but still the Chumby hangs when loading Special Options. Any other suggestion?

Please contact Customer Support to see if they can help you.

Tried the steps again and now Special Options are working.

Trying to upgrade my firmware and the "special options" screen stays on forever.    When i boot into the normal screen, then go to the "pi" symbol, the "repair safe mode" option is greyed out.

Any ideas??

It might be that the device is not seeing the USB drive - perhaps an incompatible device or file system (make sure it's formatted as FAT).

One way to find out is to see if you can navigate to the device using the music files or photo files functionality - if you can't see the device and its directories there, it won't show up in special options either.

i can see photos and music fine.  The system works, just can't apply any updates

Thanks for responding..

OK, it looks like in the C8 and I8, for repairing safe mode, you *do* have to unzip the firmware zip and move update1 to the root of the USB file system.  Make sure both the update1 and the full update.zip file are on the root.

If you can successfully SSH into the device, you can also try typing the command:

update.sh update1 REPAIR