Topic: FL widget mode to menu mode strangeness?

Is there any event that will cause the chumby to go from FL widget mode back into menu mode?

I've had this happen a few times. Seemed like a bug, but it could be something my widget is doing (perhaps blowing the memory stack or something?) ... What would cause this behavior?

I'd just like to see if others have experienced this, and then go from there (posting my widget here, if need be). I am running the latest firmware/updates.

www.scottjanousek.com/blog | scottjanousek.mobi
Adobe Flash Lite Certified Training Instructor | Adobe Community Expert - Mobile & Devices
Coauthor, Foundation Flash Applications for Mobile Devices - www.flashmobilebook.com
O_o ... Enjoy your chumby!

Re: FL widget mode to menu mode strangeness?

I've typically seen this in widgets that are accessing _root or _level0.  Since the widget is loaded into the Control Panel move, things like _root.gotoAndPlay() will cause the main timeline of the movie to advance instead of the widget.

You should be able to prevent some of this with setting _lockroot to true in your movie.  In production chumbys, this situation will be addressed by running each widget in an separate, fresh instance of the Flash player.

If you believe this isn't the cause of the problem you're seeing, I'd like to see the FLA of such a widget that does this so I can track it down.

Duane, yes, that sounds like the culprit. I'll send the .fla if not. Will look into it later tonight when I have access to the chumby.

Adobe Flash Lite Certified Training Instructor | Adobe Community Expert - Mobile & Devices
Coauthor, Foundation Flash Applications for Mobile Devices - www.flashmobilebook.com

That was it.

I'd recommend tacking on the _lockroot to the chumby .fla template, but as you mentioned, it shouldn't be an issue in production chumbies.