Topic: Light in the top left corner

Hello!

When I turn off the display of my chumby I can see a blinking light in the top left corner of the plastic-frame around the display. Does anyone know what this light is used for? (And perhaps how to turn it off or at least stop blinking?)

Greetings from Austria!
Christian

Re: Light in the top left corner

It's the wi-fi.  Even when the display is off Chumby still remains connected to your wifi network.

ok, great. So I can power it down with a simple "ifconfig rausb0 down". Works good.

The only problem is that the controlpanel can't connect anymore after I set the wifi up again, which is a bit strange, because even my running ssh-session stays alive during a short down/up.

But that isn't a hardware-problem anymore smile

Hi Christian
Suggest me Light in the top left corner is same problem to me.

The  dlp projector brings you svga resolution at a fantastic price.

That LED is software controlled.

It can be disabled in the driver.

You can find a driver which has the LED disabled here.

Please use at own risk. It works for me. YMMV.

Usage: Unpack the tar file to the root of your usb stick.

Have fun,
Rolf

zapp wrote:

Usage: Unpack the tar file to the root of your usb stick.

Any interest in doing a quick little how-to for a noob like myself?  I'm technically proficient and can follow instructions quite well, just need some help to get my footing.

The light is driving me insane at night.

Thanks!

@zapp - thanks, will give it a try and report back.

@ChumbyWumby: It is really easy:

The following instructions assume you use Windows.

1. Get yourself a tool, which can handle tar files (e.g. http://www.7-zip.org/)
2. Insert an USB stick to your computer and unpack the tar archive to you USB stick
    -> Let's say your USB drive is "E:\", then there must be two files after unpacking:
         E:\userhook1
         E:\rt73.ko

That's all. Just plug the USB drive to your Chumby and reboot.

Hope that helps,
Rolf

Adding this option to software control panel is being considered
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2473

I've used the mod for about a week and it works perfectly. Thanks Rolf! Hope it winds up in an official release. I'm using it in combination with a custom script that automatically shuts off the screen about a minute after night mode is selected and turns it back on by touching the touchscreen. I'll post my script soon.

I've disabled the two wifi adapter LEDs in the rt73 driver and checked in the changes.  As of the 1.6 firmware release, you should no longer see blinking lights behind the bezel.

@Ken

just a heads up that the with the 1.7 firmware release, the lights are back on. I've reinstalled this mod for the interim but you may want to check and see if it got accidently dropped in 1.7 and bring it back for 1.8.

dhl wrote:

@Ken

just a heads up that the with the 1.7 firmware release, the lights are back on. I've reinstalled this mod for the interim but you may want to check and see if it got accidently dropped in 1.7 and bring it back for 1.8.

Thanks, dhl.  QA has opened a bug for this issue and were tracking it for the next release.  In the interim, if you'd like to patch the rt73 driver to disable the LED again, we'll be posting the kernel source and build instructions using the new toolchain soon.

14 (edited by dhl 2009-05-07 23:42:54)

Ken wrote:
dhl wrote:

@Ken

Thanks, dhl.  QA has opened a bug for this issue and were tracking it for the next release.  In the interim, if you'd like to patch the rt73 driver to disable the LED again, we'll be posting the kernel source and build instructions using the new toolchain soon.

you're welcome. I'm simply using Rolf's patch posted above. I'll verify it still works tonight when it's dark enough to tell.

Update
I've seen a couple threads discussing this issue so wanted to report that Rolf's rt73 patch above is *not* working for me with 1.7 firmware.
I don't have the tools or know how to make the .ko patch myself so @Rolf if you're still following this thread, perhaps you could investigate further.

Bottom line - no fix at the moment.

Rolf's patched driver would need to be rebuilt with the new toolchain.

I have chumby 2008 White perl FW 1.7 HW 3.7 SW 1649 and Light LED in left corner  and this LED isn't function... This is Black (OFF)

help me....

The LED is on the Wifi dongle inside the device  - it's much, much harder to see on black chumbys due to the black bezel, which doesn't transmit much, if any, light.

Most people seem to be complaining that they can see it - are you complaining that you *don't*?