Topic: Whats in a chumby?

Hi All, I'm sorry if this is right in front of my face, but I searched and didn't find it.  What is actually in a chumby?  Processor, RAM, perhiperals?  I know schematics and such are posted, but for those of us who are not hardware people, is there a summary of what is in there and its capabilities posted?

2 (edited by bee2643 2007-03-20 10:34:35)

Re: Whats in a chumby?

* 266 MHz ARM controller (the MX21 by Freescale)
    * 32 MB SDRAM running at 133 MHz bus speed
    * 64 MB NAND FLASH ROM
    * 320x240 3.5" TFT LCD with PWM-controlled LED backlighting
    * Stereo 2W speakers
    * Headphone output
    * Ambient light sensor
    * Bend sensor (to pick up when you squeeze the chumby)
    * Two USB 2.0 full-speed ports, one on the main board and one on the outerware electronics
    * WiFi connectivity via a USB dongle plugged into the main board
    * Circuitry to detect the presence of wall adapter power and auto-fallback to backup battery power
    * Switching power supply network that can eat between 6V and 14V
    * Available microphone input on the chumbilical bus
    * Available SPI bus on the chumbilical bus
    * Serial debug port set to 115200 8N1

* Support for the ADXL3XX series of pin-compatible accelerometers (3-axis and 2-axis versions available)
    * Up to 6 available 12-bit analog inputs
    * Limited support for servo motor drivers (1-high resolution driver, and 3 low-res drivers)
    * 8x 3.3V-compatible digital inputs
    * 8x 5.0V-swing digital outputs
    * 8x 1-A DC motor driver channels (can be configured for high or low side driving to make an H-bridge configuration), with support for motor voltages between 5.5V and 24.5V
    * A small prototyping area for you to add on quick hacks

Note:

* Support for the ADXL3XX series of pin-compatible accelerometers (3-axis and 2-axis versions available)
    * Up to 6 available 12-bit analog inputs
    * Limited support for servo motor drivers (1-high resolution driver, and 3 low-res drivers)
    * 8x 3.3V-compatible digital inputs
    * 8x 5.0V-swing digital outputs
    * 8x 1-A DC motor driver channels (can be configured for high or low side driving to make an H-bridge configuration), with support for motor voltages between 5.5V and 24.5V
    * A small prototyping area for you to add on quick hacks

All of this is only available on the Hacker Sensor Package that Bunnie assembled for hardware hackers to get started. The default daughtercard doesn't ship with the analog inputs, servo support, digital ins or outs or prototyping area, but you can build your own daughtercard pretty easily.

Can you link to the specs/schematics of this daughterboard I'm building a case and should like to include addtional sensors

It's on the main website under Developers->Hardware.  You must agree to an HDK agreement to see the page.

No built in mic?  That's a shame.  Oh well...

That's the current chumby prototype - the jury's still out on a microphone on the production model.

The current one can have a microphone added though a hardware hack - I believe the "chumbilical" cable includes audio in.  It's just missing the physical microphone itself.

8 (edited by radiorental 2007-03-22 16:56:31)

Thanks, looks like an ink layer (page 9) was left on throughout all the schmatics, I dont think I'll use them as I dont have an etching setup to hand at the moment, but you might want to fix that incase someone wants to use the pdfs to create masks.

Thanks - I'll pass that on to bunnie.