Topic: SWF Source Code repository

Hey -
For those of us who lean more towards hardware, having specific code examples of widgets is priceless.
As more folks add functionality to Chumby through new widgets, I know that I sometimes look at them and think, "Wow, How'd they do that?"

So - With the assumption that I am not alone in thinking that I was not born knowing all the possible ways of leveraging the FLASH API towards the Chumby... Would it be possible to add a section to the Widget submisison page that allows a person, if so inclined, to send the source for their publically available widget along with the .gif image and the actual swf file?

One could browse this library from the developers page, or whatever - and it could all be GPL...
I know that doing this would enable a whole lot more widgets to be created, as many of us are only lacking the experience others have in creating new widgets for Chumby.

I know it sounds like more work for the Chumby folks, but I believe this feature would pay for itseld in terms of getting new Chumby owners up to speed.

Any Thoughts?

Bruce

Re: SWF Source Code repository

We considered it and, in fact, the database schema has a commented-out column for that very purpose.

I'll broach the subject again internally - what you'd probably be asked to upload is a zipfile with all of the files associated with the Flash movie, since nowadays, Flash requires quite the splat of files to make movies.

I guess the danger we'd have to address is people start abusing it and using us an online file storage system.

we'd also have to take a look at what the best licenses would be - I'm not absolutely sure the GPL is the most appropriate license for FLA source files, since it's more oriented to conventional source code.  Perhaps the user could choose from a short list that range from GPL-type copyleft licenses to straight-on public domain.

Let people use instructables, allow links from the widget page to blogs/storage.

Build social features around the crowdsourced apps.  There's a huge featureset missing on chumby.com that would aid learning/development

radiorental wrote:

Let people use instructables, allow links from the widget page to blogs/storage.

Build social features around the crowdsourced apps.  There's a huge featureset missing on chumby.com that would aid learning/development

Yeah, we recognize that - we're actually working on addressing it.