Topic: While pressed? / Set pivot point

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to do something only while pressed? I am making a tangram widget, where you rotate the chumby while pressing a piece to rotate the piece. Currently, I have a on(press) and an on(release) to say when to rotate a piece, but sometimes it will rotate off the mouse, and doesn't trigger a release, so it keeps rotating. Is there some way I can do while(press)?

2. Also, I was wondering if I could chage the "pivot point" of each shape to wherever the user touched when they press the shape, rather than the set place (the center).

Thanks big_smile

Re: While pressed? / Set pivot point

You might try doing on(releaseOutside) with the same thing you're doing for the on(release).

You have a couple of choices with the pivot point:

1) Do the necessary trig to move/rotate the movieclip to simulate the pivot point you want.
2) Nest the clip in another clip, move the object in the inner clip and rotate the outer clip.

on(releaseOutside) doesn't catch it either.

And I might do #2, the only problem I see is that you can't refer to stuff inside mc's, unless you do root, which I can't do with this application.
I may try to figure out the trig on #1, but it would be complicated, and may effect the CPU too much. (If I update it every frame its pressed, it could be a bit). Drawing a line 200 pixels long took a big chuck out!

Why can't you refer to things inside movieClips?  I do it all the time - you don't need _root for that, you can do paths relative to "this" or "_parent".

perhaps the question #1 is "how do I keep running the same code repeatedly while the mouse is down?"

Do something like:
pressing = false
myButton.onPress = function () { pressing = true }
myButton.onRelease = myButton.onReleaseOutside = function () { pressing = false }
onEnterframe = function(){
   if (pressing == true ){
      //run code
   }
}

Hope that helps.

Pivot point--I'd just nest clips for that.

Thats exactly what I do now, and doesn't work.
It works, it just that the Release isn't triggered when it rotates outside the cursor.

Solving one of these solves the other, and I am working on the trig big_smile

what about catching the onDragOut?