Topic: Game suggestion - SwapJob

Hello,

Is it possible to create a widget out of the games in www.friv.com?

I am thinking of SwapJob, that would work really well on the Chumby because of the touchscreen.

You can find it on the 10th column and 7th row.

Thanks!

Re: Game suggestion - SwapJob

_root.loadMovie("http://gs2.friv.com/x/swapjob.swf");

That's all it takes to load. The graphics are a bit slow on the Chumby, but it works fairly well.

Thanks for the answer, but I don't know what to do with that information.

I activated my chumby today.

Really pleased with it so far!

If you post your Chumby name, I think I should be add you to my Chums list, and I believe you should be able to get the widget that way.

It's the other way around, they have to add you to their chums list in order to receive widgets from you.

theprawn wrote:

It's the other way around, they have to add you to their chums list in order to receive widgets from you.

That's correct - the receiver needs to add the sender to his/her chum list.

Can this be made into a widget available to everyone?

Thanks!

I'll post it, and see what happens. Probably take a day or two before it's posted, if it passes their inspection.

That sounds great, thank you so much!

hello nofix
have you been able to work on this?
It would be really nice to play this on the Chumby, the touchscreen is perfect for this kind of game... it's like bejeweled or zoo keeper (nintendo ds), only this one is flash and quite addictive
thanks for trying anyway

I tried posting it, but they rejected it.

If you want to try adding me to your chums list, my chumby name is ricky

what was wrong with it?

I believe it's a copyright issue. Not sure why. It's accessing the swf off the website, just like every other widget. If you add me to your chums list, you should be able to grab it though.

thanks for trying... I don't understand it, it would be great if someone could explain... Most of the widgets just take some content from a website to the Chumby, and that's basically what this would be - the same game, only played on the Chumby rather than on a computer screen... it is a game that is freely available to play online... There might be something that I am not considering and that is why it would be nice if someone explained!

We can't locate a "terms of use" on that site.  If someone can point us to one, that would be helpful.

the game is by Mausland - http://www.mausland.de/

I am not sure if this would help - they also have SwapJob for free there, so I guess if they are okay with friv.com allowing people to play their game there they would be fine with a Chumby widget...

Just add me to your chums list. If you do, I'll be able to send you the widget.

carmen wrote:

I am not sure if this would help - they also have SwapJob for free there, so I guess if they are okay with friv.com allowing people to play their game there they would be fine with a Chumby widget...

Unfortunately, we're not free to guess - we have no idea if there's some other relationship between the developer and friv.  Given that friv seems to actually host the movie (based on the URL that nofix used), that would seem to imply that friv has some sort of distribution relationship, otherwise, at least in the US, friv would be infringing on the copyright of the author.  It's quite possible they *are* doing that, and that the author doesn't care, but that's not for us to assume.

The best solution is to contact the upstream author and ask them to upload the movie as a widget.

The fact that it's accessible, despite the crossdomain.xml - does that have any merit?

Duane wrote:

The best solution is to contact the upstream author and ask them to upload the movie as a widget.

I know guessing is something we shouldn't do!

I suppose you are right about friv.com, it's an interesting site, because there are no adverts in it, so I don't know how they survive really.

Could you contact them? I mean, would Chumby industries be interested in having these games as widgets?

Many thanks nofix. Could I forward the widget once you send it to me?

I'm not really sure. I don't see that you added me to your chums list. I think for you to get the widget you have to add me, the chum name is 'ricky' to your chums list.

that, or maybe i could host the swf, and you could submit the widget yourself to your own channel?

Hello,
Again I ask this question.
Is it possible to create a widget out of the online games?

If you have the requisites rights to add those games as widgets (which would include the right for us to redistribute), and it works acceptably on the device, then yes.

Finding random SWFs on the Internet and uploading them without permission from the author is not acceptable.

Hello! I have the same question.

The same question you asked yesterday?  I thought I answered it.