1 (edited by chumby44 2009-01-08 20:04:14)

Topic: Inneficient customer service

******edited as follows:  I retracted any complaints I have as posted in my last post below.  Thank you Chumby for providing top notch customer service!  ********* Original message as follows:

I ordered my chumby a day before the new $50 value package with free shipping went online (I had waited a week before ordering to see if any coupons were available).  Asked for a credit of shipping (quasi price match), and was told that I have to pay to return my chumby (and cause additional pollution) and then order a new chumby with the value package.  Bottom line is that it will cost me about $10 bucks to ship it back and in return I'll get the new one shipped at Chumby Industries' cost (and additional pollution from shipping) along with all the freebies.   I assume the bundle worth $50 costs Chumby Industries far more than the $10 the shipping I paid in the first instance.   I thought it would be logical for Chumby just to credit my card the cost I paid for shipping and save Chumby the cost of shipping a new one, processing the return of the old one, and sending me the freebies.  Apparently, Chumby Industries is incapable of doing that.  Just doesn't seem like quality service too me, but I'm just used to my two favorite retailers, Costco and Nordstrom, so I guess this is what I should expect from Chumby Industries.  Maybe I'll just return the unit and wait for the Samsung Picture frame instead of ordering the package or go with the Grace radio since my favorite feature is really just Pandora. 

A copy of the email chain is below so people can judge for themselves the situation:

To: *******@msn.com
Subject: RE: cancel order (LTK143013364598X)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 14:34:18 -0500

Reference number: LTK143013364598X Please use this ticket number in any correspondence with us.
Subject: cancel order

Shane,

Unfortunately, the chumby bundle can only be purchased on our eStore.  We cannot ship you the t-shirt and 4 charms, or refund your shipping for the order you placed before the bundle coupon was available.  If you do wish to purchase the chumby bundle and not have two chumbys; you'll have to use our return process and file a return for the current chumby.  Once we receive it, we can refund your card for the chumby, and you can purchase the bundle on our eStore with the 'chundle' coupon code.

Sincerely,
Sam

Chumby Support Manager

---------------Original Message---------------

Subject:
    RE: cancel order (LTK143013364598X)

Instead of going through the hassle and expense (to me and Chumby Industries) of shipping the Chumby back (at my cost) and then Chumby Industries shipping a new Chumby back to me at its cost (with the free shipping promotion), can you just credit my credit card the amount of shipping and I will forgo the charms and t-shirt that are included in the package? 

To: s********@msn.com
Subject: RE: cancel order (LTK143013364598X)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 12:22:16 -0500

Reference number: LTK143013364598X Please use this ticket number in any correspondence with us.
Subject: cancel order Dear Shane,

Thank you for the email.  Unfortunately your chumby is on it's way so we cannot cancel the order.
What you could do is take advantage of our 30 day return policy.  When you receive your chumby send it straight back to us, we'll give you a full refund and you can re-order the chumby bundle. It will be available until Feb 15th.   Please review the return policy and complete the form at http://www.chumby.com/pages/returns
Sincerely,
Matt Chumby Support

---------------Original Message---------------
Subject:
    cancel order

I would like to cancel my order WEB000115215.  I ordered yesterday after scouring the internet and finding no discounts for the 2009 chumby.  Now I just saw on the website that there is a $50 bundle package, that I would like to either cancel my order so that I can purchase that package or if you can modify my order by sending me the bundle items and credit me the shipping cost, I would appreciate that too.

Re: Inneficient customer service

quit whining

I just bought two chumbys,  If  can live with out the extra tee shirts & charms so can you.

Just a matter of customer service and common ecomonics.  That's all.  If I do as they recommend and return the unit and repurchase, it will be more of a cost to Chumby Ind. than me, so I figured it would be a win win for them to save the expense and to have a happy customer at the same time.  Just surprised that the company doesn't see the value in that.  To me, we are all invested in the companies success, because we are dependent upon their service to make our Chumbies work and improve.  Therefore, if I believe the company is doing something that is inefficient and not in the best interests of its long term success, then I believe it is completely appropriate to provide my opinions on that matter in a forum titled "feedback." 

As to the value issue, I was disappointed that the price increased $20 this year, when people were already complaining about the price last year.  I still took the plunge and I guess I just had bad timing to because they are now offsetting the increase with free shipping and the shirts and charms.  That's good for you that you have chumbies without the shirt, but I assume also that you paid a lower price than I paid.   I also assume I am not the only person out there that purchased in the last week that fees a little shafted to have paid more than most everyone else that has a chumby.

Just imagine the horror of ordering four pairs of pants from JCPenney's, only to have to have husband complete the order, because the JCPenney's website is tooooooooooo confusing to dyslexic art teachers, only to find that when he placed the order the VERY NEXT DAY, the pants had increased by $10 per pair. NOTHING I could do. That's the way it's done and JCPenney's has been around a LONG time. Sorry!

As much as it doesn't make sense, it's not entirely unreasonable. It's probably some crazy company policy, which often times goes completely against common sense.

Though, if I were you, before you get comfortable with the device, you may want to have a look over the forums. Witness how some of their developers interact with paid-for customers. It's pathetic, to say the least.

nofix wrote:

Though, if I were you, before you get comfortable with the device, you may want to have a look over the forums. Witness how some of their developers interact with paid-for customers. It's pathetic, to say the least.

No, NOFIX It is only how WE all interact to you that you cannot abide. The Chumbians have interacted with you magnificently, and more magnificently than I EVER could, or have. I have watched you call them names then ask for help, countless times. I question your motives.

I challenge anyone that YOU challenged to read back through YOUR posts to see that you continue along the same maligning path that you came in here with LESS THAN three weeks ago, the day you registered.

I'd love to take your Chumby off your hands for you...PLENTY would, but NO ONE would want you to have their address to send it.

To quote you? "Pathetic" to say the least? I don't think so. Read YOU from beginning to end. People will figure out that you have some agenda. As some have said, for over a year, the forums were lovely, helpful and non-defensive until YOU arrived. Click on nofix's name and scroll to the bottom where it says "Posts: Show all posts" and happy reading.

SOME of us have had enough of your bul...malarky.

heyartlady wrote:
nofix wrote:

No, NOFIX It is only how WE all interact to you that you cannot abide. The Chumbians have interacted with you magnificently, and more magnificently than I EVER could, or have. I have watched you call them names then ask for help, countless times. I question your motives.

I challenge anyone that YOU challenged to read back through YOUR posts to see that you continue along the same maligning path that you came in here with LESS THAN three weeks ago, the day you registered.

I'd love to take your Chumby off your hands for you...PLENTY would, but NO ONE would want you to have their address to send it.

To quote you? "Pathetic" to say the least? I don't think so. Read YOU from beginning to end. People will figure out that you have some agenda. As some have said, for over a year, the forums were lovely, helpful and non-defensive until YOU arrived. Click on nofix's name and scroll to the bottom where it says "Posts: Show all posts" and happy reading.

SOME of us have had enough of your bul...malarky.

My agenda is protecting my investment. I've made this extremely clear. Please stop questioning my authenticity. It's extremely rude, and it's getting old. Since day one that's been your only objective, besides making excuses for every less than positive connotation thrown at Chumby, and or it's developers.

If I questioned your authenticity, I'm willing to bet your response wouldn't be pleasant. Now, do you see where I'm going with this? You provoke my response. If you don't like it, don't question my authenticity, or opinion. I don't question yours.

nofix wrote:

My agenda is protecting my investment. I've made this extremely clear. Please stop questioning my authenticity. It's extremely rude, and it's getting old. Since day one that's been your only objective, besides making excuses for every less than positive connotation thrown at Chumby, and or it's developers.

If I questioned your authenticity, I'm willing to bet your response wouldn't be pleasant. Now, do you see where I'm going with this? You provoke my response. If you don't like it, don't question my authenticity, or opinion. I don't question yours.

You spent maybe $200 and you have spent HOURS and HOURS complaining and you call that "protecting your investment"? I think you didn't do your homework to have the slightest clue what you were "investing" in. Thousands is an investment. Two Hundred is a purchase. Question my authenticity all you want. I have no agenda. I PROVOKE YOUR RESPONSE? I think you came in here provoked and I will question whatever I like.

9 (edited by gregf 2009-01-08 19:30:19)

nofix wrote:

Personally I'd say the developers get a big thumbs up to their responses.
I've seen quite a few changes in Ch as a result of requests from this forum.
This was frankly a big reason I bought my chumby. (and will probably buy another)
Go to other forums for products such as mp3 players and similar and you will see virtually no responses from developers.

Some just don't like that the answer is no.

heyartlady wrote:

Just imagine the horror of ordering four pairs of pants from JCPenney's, only to have to have husband complete the order, because the JCPenney's website is tooooooooooo confusing to dyslexic art teachers, only to find that when he placed the order the VERY NEXT DAY, the pants had increased by $10 per pair. NOTHING I could do. That's the way it's done and JCPenney's has been around a LONG time. Sorry!

Two comments.  1) price going up the next day is completely different than price going down the next day.  Most retailers that accept returns will price match if their price goes down within the return period so that they don't have to process a return just so the customer can repurchase the product.  2) Chumby has not been around a long time and it is not a discount brand.  Customer service can make or break a company in its beginning years, especially in this economy where the product of the company is a luxury item.   If I was buying a product from a discount seller, I would not expect great customer service.

chumby44 wrote:

1) price going up the next day is completely different than price going down the next day.

I get that. I hadn't thought of it that way. I was just thinking that even big companies changed their prices in a 24 hour period. (But I still think the customer service at Chumby is top notch.) Thanks for the clarification.

I suppose it's a difference in perspective or opinions.
I don't see sweetening the deal as "lowering the price".
Recently and especially around the holidays a lot of companies have announced free shipping deals.
I know of none that will make this retroactive to prior orders, and I guess I wouldn't expect it.
Though as they say it never hurts to ask.
(Well I take that back there was that time I got slapped for asking .... )

I would like retract any complaints I had and give Chumby's customer service an A.  I guess I jumped the gun a little bit, After my first post, I received an unsolicited email from Sam at customer service telling me that he talked to his boss and they offered me something else to offset the higher price I paid.  They could not refund the shipping I paid, but that is completely fine as it may just be an accounting issue.  They went out of the way to make me a happy customer and that is all I can ask for.  I would also like to point out that even in the absence of Sam going out of his way to talk to his boss, the responses to my emails were always extremely quick -- which you don't always get from customer service.  I now look forward to receiving my chumby and I am glad that I won't have to wait to play with it as a result of shipping it back.

So glad it worked out!

15 (edited by gregf 2009-01-08 20:13:51)

Especially in this day and age, support and service such as CI's is extremely rare.
I hope it continues.

I spend quite a lot of my work time dealing with support from major companies that we spend thousands of dollars for support contracts and don't get the results and response I have gotten from CI.

nofix wrote:

Witness how some of their developers interact with paid-for customers. It's pathetic, to say the least.

please elaborate on what interaction from any chumbian has been pathetic.

/mdkail

gregf wrote:

I spend quite a lot of my work time dealing with support from major companies that we spend thousands of dollars for support contracts and don't get the results and response I have gotten from CI.

Can you help me out with that pants thing with Penney's? :-)

mdkail wrote:

please elaborate on what interaction from any chumbian has been pathetic.

/mdkail

As a customer, I don't appreciate being told to build my own interface simply because I questioned the reason behind having, and requiring a non-localized interface.

That's a little far fetched especially considering the lack of available documentation.

gregf wrote:

Especially in this day and age, support and service such as CI's is extremely rare.
I hope it continues.

It's required if they want the device to survive. Chumby thrives on user-created content, and with the lack of documentation, I don't see how it could possibly survive without interaction.

heyartlady wrote:
gregf wrote:

Can you help me out with that pants thing with Penney's? :-)

Well it was offering to help someone with their pants was what got me slapped many moons ago.

gregf wrote:

...was what got me slapped many moons ago.

I STARTED to make a slapping reference but held back...now I see I should have 'gone for it!' No guts no glory! :-)

No guts no glory! :-)

So said  Gen. George Armstrong Custer, or was it "Hey look at all those....!"

23 (edited by gregf 2009-01-08 21:06:36)

It's required if they want the device to survive. Chumby thrives on user-created content, and with the lack of documentation, I don't see how it could possibly survive without interaction.

I wouldn't disagree for a second, but for a company that's had a product out for less than a year, they are way out there in their efforts and results.
I support a product my company bought that sells for 5 & 6 figures and thus the annual support for their product is 5 figures that doesn't even acknowledge a submission of a defect to their developers using a submission tool they provide for this purpose. And while they are 2 or 3 years old, they still haven't gotten their feet under them yet on support. 
The point being documentation and support is tougher than anyone of us would imagine.

It's tough, but it's also their product to support. Just by releasing source to the control panel, and all their widgets would make for some serious documentation. It's fine that they don't, don't get me wrong, but to say the device is truely open, then provide very few real world examples just doesn't cut it. That's just my opinion, so maybe I expect too much. In the end, it would mostly benefit them, and their customers.

From my perspective, I've developed for the Windows platform for 15+ years in C, C++ and ASM. I'm relatively new to flash, as I've never really had a reason to dabble with it. It's not extremely difficult to pick up, but it would be nice if there were more sources provided for this particular platform. Again, maybe I expect too much? Either way, whatever ...

25 (edited by gregf 2009-01-08 22:35:45)

I agree with you 100% and based on what I have seen so far, I am optimistic that future interactions with  CI will be positive. 

(this from a die hard pessimist,  but hey pessimists are never disappointed)

"From my perspective, I've developed for the Windows platform for 15+" 

And I have a core bit plane, the tiny magnetic dougnuts with the wires running through it on my desk I pulled from an operational system that I programmed on. smile

In a lot of years working with developers from companies with 2 and 3 letter acronyms, this company is doing things I haven't seen in a long time or even before. 
I would so love to see them suceed.