Topic: SHOUTcast Alarm Not Working

For some reason my morning alarm keeps reverting to a beep rather than playing the SHOUTcast station I set it to.  This problem began somewhat recently, probably within the last month or so.  All week long I've been trying to wake up to one of the many Halloween stations (I've tried several) with no luck.  I've been a proud owner of Chumby for 6 months now and it's still sitting in the same location it's alway sat, nothing has changed.  I read in the forum that some users are having similar problems with Pandora and wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem I'm having with SHOUTcast.  The morning beep is becoming really annoying!!!  I'm using control panel v2.8.10.  Please help!

Re: SHOUTcast Alarm Not Working

Could it be related to this?

SHOUTcast has apparently been having some issues that they're trying to fix.

However, I'll take a look and see if there's anything else going on.

Some things that might be helpful for my investigation:

1) Verify the station you used for the alarm works in the normal music mode
2) Create another custom alarm using the same station, and see if it works (don't change the non-functioning alarm)
3) Send me the resulting /psp/alarms.xml file at duane@chumby.com

I have a theory about this that I want to explore - it requires that I have a file from somebody whose SHOUTcast alarms are not working, since I may not be able to recreate the exact circumstances without it.

I've been experiencing this problem for the past month so I don't think the Shoutcast outage has anything to do with it.

1) Verify the station you used for the alarm works in the normal music mode

done, the station works in music mode

2) Create another custom alarm using the same station, and see if it works (don't change the non-functioning alarm)

alarm is titled "Weekdays at 7:45 am"

3) Send me the resulting /psp/alarms.xml file at duane@chumby.com

file sent

Thanks!

QA spent some time yesterday poking at the SHOUTcast servers directly, and we were getting spotty responses.  At this point it appears to be an issue on their side, but we're still looking into it.  Your file will be helpful in diagnosing it.

Is it possible to add a new configuration option when creating an alarm that gives end users control over the amount of time that must elapse before failing over to a beep?  I'm starting to believe the problem is related to my wireless repeater as the Shoutcast alarm kicked off this morning when Chumby was connected directly to my wireless router.

Wow, that would be a pretty geeky option, so I don't think we'd make that an option through the UI.  I'll look into making some sort of hack.

I'm getting the same thing - the SHOUTcast station I have set as my alarm now always fails over to the beep (since last Wednesday morning), but I can connect to it manually immediately afterwards. So maybe tonyme is on to something - it's the length of time before the alarm is considered to have 'failed' rather than the SHOUTcast stream not being there.

Is there any news on this? Shoutcast alarms are still failing over to the beep, even though the Shoutcast stations are available. Would my /psp/alarms file also be useful or do you have everything you need on that front now?

SHOUTcast has made some infrastructure changes that are affecting alarms - we're working on it.

Just wanted to add that I am experiencing the same issue as tonyme.  My SHOUTcast alarm worked great until a few weeks ago, now it just fails over to the backup alarm.  I am also not getting any love from my Pandora alarm.  Again, both SHOUTcast and Pandora are working fine from the music screen, just not working as alarms.

As a workaround til SHOUTcast get this fixed, you can add the URL of the station you want to have wake you up to 'My Streams'. That works fine...

The SHOUTcast issues should be fixed now.

Please try these alarms again.

I hate to dig up an old thread, but I have been having this problem for about 2 weeks now.  I have my alarm set to wake up to a shoutcast station, but it keeps going to the backup "beeping".  The stations play fine in radio mode.  I have tried changing to a different shoutcast station, but have the same results.  Is shoutcast having problems again?

Hmmm, we're not aware of any issues, however we'll look into it again.

Well, the old shoutcast issue that I had...my favorite station working every other night or so...and Duane explained well to me, seems to relate to this. Every time I go, that station is on a different number in the rotation. Sometimes it plays, others it doesn't. I can imagine that if I set my alarm to THIS particular station, I would awake to beeps; either because it is no longer available or because it is in a different spot on the list. Beeps is what I do get when I hit the PLAY button, by where the timer is. It beeps letting me know it is no longer available, which is the same beep I imagine an alarm would do if it were no longer available.