Topic: Chumby not retrieving XML... Going crazy!!

Ok so I just started messing with the chumby to develop widgets and I am attempting to pull xml from a site. I decided to use the example RSS feed swf to just test with and have found it for some reason doesn't pull the xml data. The wierd thing is that it gets an onload call but when I try and place even the raw xml text on screen it only comes through as either null or just nothing at all. It has no problem retrieving the xml on my local machine or on my server pulling from a site. I just can't sweem to figure out what's going on with it.
If anyone has any ideas please feel free to let me know.

Re: Chumby not retrieving XML... Going crazy!!

Ok I think it's because of it being sandboxed. Can anyone give me a little more info on setting up the crossdomain.xml stuff for the chumby website to access?

Thanks

ok I figured it out. I couldn't get the crossdomain.xml file to work so I just threw the flash on my server and loaded the movie into the chumby. Next best thing. Although if anyone can give me an idea on how to make this work without doing that it would be much apreciated.

Thnx

What was in your crossdomain.xml file?

You can see ours here.  If yours is similar, it should work. (Depending upon your browser, you might get a blank page, if so, do a "View Source").

If your movie can handle it, you might also try exporting your widget as Flash 6 - I think the security model is a little simpler.

Yeah I published as flash 6. But my crossdomain.xml file had access set to chumby.com. I'll try that. Also, do I put it in the root of my site or the public_html folder? I'm assuming in public_html.

Thnx

T

Tried it and it worked like a charm. Thanks alot!

I just wanted to post this for others in the future. I had the same issue, had all my crossdomain stuff set up just fine and dandy. I have no references to root, everything is nested in a movie clip, and yet the XML still wasn't rendering.

Oddly enough, I had to go back to my crossdomain file in the browser and refresh, because the virtual chumby was pulling in the cached version. Just a note for anyone that's scratching their head for as long as I was.

Yeah, that's actually being cached by your browser and the Flash Player plugin, not virtual chumby, which has no actual knowledge of crossdomain files.