Topic: Streaming music

I can't remember if this is a solved problem or not so please bear with me. Imagine one has a music library of mp3 files on a linux server and would like to stream them to the Chumby by selecting particular files from the Chumby. Is there a way to do this and if so, what is the preferred solution?  I realize that I can stream using slimserver or shoutcast but that still leaves the question about making selections from the Chumby. I thought I recall that there is no slimserver/squeezecenter widget, only the ability to pre-select a server and add it to My Streams. Can one select from a library and stream?

Re: Streaming music

So, is this a solved problem or a known limitation?  If the latter, is it something which Chumby is addressing?
Thanks.

3 (edited by Joan Jett 2008-09-21 13:14:33)

ihf wrote:

So, is this a solved problem or a known limitation?  If the latter, is it something which Chumby is addressing?
Thanks.

Hi --

I am using SlimServer. You could also try Icecast which is remotely controllable, but not via the Chumby AFAIK.  There is an icecast client called MPD which can be ssh'd to and controlled with a curses application called NCPMD. But again, you'd only be playing the stream on the Chumby, not controlling it.

With SlimServer, there is a PDA style skin which works rather well on my Palm T|X.

It might also be possible for a uPNP widget to be developed. I don't know what sort of Linux the Chumby is running and if it might be amenable to running MediaTomb, but I have gotten MediaTomb running rather well on a Linksys NSLU2 hacked to run Debian with no problem. It has a much slower ARM processor than the Chumby and much less RAM as well. The client in that case is a Reciva radio.

Sorry, not much help.

Brian

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

Thanks.  I have SlimServer but I am unaware of a client for the Chumby. Of course, I can listen to whatever is being streamed at any moment in time but cannot select anything. I thought someone might be working on a solution. Perhaps Chumby Industries could offer a solution?

Development on Browsebox appears to have died, unless the developer can be persuaded (after a year!) to finally finish:

http://www.brendandawes.com/sketches/browsebox/

Any new thoughts on how to access specific audio tracks from a home server? 

I have tried Slimserver and also note it appears to only stream the current audio.  Orb looks promising, but I find Widgets for all but specific Orb served audio tracks.  I am actually looking for a way to access police scanner audio recordings that are saved using Proscan and TwoToneDetect onto an XP machine running Orb, IIS, Squeezecenter, etc...  A solution for Music access would also work for my application.