Topic: Changing volume and/or Widgets

I had an idea - maybe someone said this already but here goes -
The switch on the top of the chumby can be used to adjust volume and change widgets when it's used in combination with the accelerometer.

Press the switch and release to get to the control panel as normal.
Press and hold the switch and tilt the chumby left or right to change widgets backwards/forwards.
The same goes with tilting it forward and back - you can change the volume.

As it is, changing the volume is a pain. Going into the control panel, into the settings, into volume, etc.  Too inaccessible for just a quick change when a video is too quiet or loud.

Thoughts?

Re: Changing volume and/or Widgets

Not a bad idea, if implemented well. I think almost everyone wants an easier way to go to the next/previous widget and I kinda like this idea. Volume would be nice, too.

briguyd wrote:

Not a bad idea, if implemented well. I think almost everyone wants an easier way to go to the next/previous widget and I kinda like this idea. Volume would be nice, too.

Here is something even simpler. Put the volume slider and mute on the control panel smile

When I got my Chumby in November, I quickly discovered a tiny spot in the upper left corner of the screen (where the countdown clock appears) and all you had to do was tap that corner and it would return to the control panel, where you could continue with your selection. If using a phone stylus, that was particularly handy. However it got in the way of a FEW widgets. Matching, puzzles are a few I can think of. TO ME, it wasn't bad. If playing a matching game and I accidentally returned to the control panel by selecting the match tile in the upper left, I simply tapped the widget again from the control panel and it returned me to the same widget IN the same spot in the same game. That very special feature went away with the most recent control panel update, but I have been in conversations with Duane for months (Hi Duane!) and he is trying to find a way to put it back. I think that is superior to going back to a button on the top, because once you've tried the channel changing simply by tapping the screen, you grow to HATE that button on top, especially when you mainly use the chumby one hand holding, one hand tapping while you cruise through the widgets before you want to go to sleep. Imagine how nice it was to gently tap the corner to return to the control panel...it was awesome. It was so awesome, I regret upgrading!

I wish there was an easy way to change widgets without having to go back to the Control Panel (or wait for some "slideshow interval").

I keep my Chumby at my bedside... and usually have it on a channel with just two items:
     - a clock widget
     - the weather channel widget

I wish that I could keep my Chumby on the clock widget... and then just do a 'swipe' gesture on the touchscreen to manually advance the widget to the weather report (kinda like how you can advance through pictures on an iPhone).  That... or use the accelerometer to advance the widget by just picking up my Chumby and shaking it.

gschroder wrote:

I wish that I could keep my Chumby on the clock widget... and then just do a 'swipe' gesture on the touchscreen to manually advance the widget to the weather report (kinda like how you can advance through pictures on an iPhone).  That... or use the accelerometer to advance the widget by just picking up my Chumby and shaking it.

But some photo widgets use the swipe gesture to advance through pictures (like, as you say, on the iPhone). How would Chumby know the difference?

Dunno I keep thinking a USB control device might be the quick fix.. Keeps looking at his Powermate Knob.. Turn right to go forward a widget, turn left to go back a widget.. click to stay a widget... click again to unlock.. or double click to mute/unmute... Or the idea of having an IR remote where you could sort of *fix* the control panel and interface a bit by using a remote to control widget change/stay volume/mute stop and play.. and move through/go to the control panel

tismey wrote:

But some photo widgets use the swipe gesture to advance through pictures (like, as you say, on the iPhone). How would Chumby know the difference?

See, Duane, I TOLD YOU we just need that little tap screen corner thingy back!

You raise a good point, timsey.  If it is possible to implement a 'swipe' gesture... perhaps it is also possible to refine it a little so that it would not interfere too much with the other widget inputs.

For example, maybe it is only a swipe along the bottom of the screen that changes widgets.  The Chumby could "reserve" the right to override a widget's code and apply a system function if the swipe gesture was contained to the bottom 20% of the screen.  Kinda like how some Windows laptops have touchpads that interpret a swipe along the bottom or right edges to be input to scroll the page instead of move the cursor.

gschroder wrote:

You raise a good point, timsey.  If it is possible to implement a 'swipe' gesture... perhaps it is also possible to refine it a little so that it would not interfere too much with the other widget inputs.

For example, maybe it is only a swipe along the bottom of the screen that changes widgets.  The Chumby could "reserve" the right to override a widget's code and apply a system function if the swipe gesture was contained to the bottom 20% of the screen.  Kinda like how some Windows laptops have touchpads that interpret a swipe along the bottom or right edges to be input to scroll the page instead of move the cursor.

I second this. I would love a quick way to advance to the next widget.

11 (edited by Douger 2008-07-27 04:15:32)

For what it is worth I really like the swipe idea for changing widgets.  I frankly was surprised when I tried it and it didn't work.

They could make it so that developers can disable the feature within a widget, if it conflicts.  They could also make it so that the user could turn the feature off.

The best way that really makes sense is to have a couple of extra push buttons in the front to control basics stuff just like an iPod does.

Volume/mute, scroll thru widgets, select a widget. Im surprised these basic buttons were not considered. That thing on top is ok for what it does now, but not for the basic controls.

To return to the control panel, we could stroke it. Swipe it. Click our heels three time (YES I am from Kansas). We can toss it in the air and spin around. We can throw spitballs at the center. We can install some more buttons on the front and then we can all send our chumbys in for a button installation OR just return to what ALREADY WORKED but they did away with AND SHOULD BRING BACK...the tiny spot that in the upper left corner of the screen. You tapped it and it returned to the control panel where you could tap and could advance to the next widget or change channels. It worked and it has already been designed. And I swear if someone comments on ONE MORE interesting way to return to the control panel, without acknowledging the ideas already out there or the ideas that have already worked beautifully, but not many of you discovered, I will gag. Sorry, but I will. I apologize but I am tiring of reading threads of an idea presented and then 20 more from people who never even knew what came before.

>>>

heyartlady wrote:

When I got my Chumby in November, I quickly discovered a tiny spot in the upper left corner of the screen (where the countdown clock appears) and all you had to do was tap that corner and it would return to the control panel, where you could continue with your selection...Imagine how nice it was to gently tap the corner to return to the control panel...it was awesome. It was so awesome, I regret upgrading!

How is pressing a little spot in the upper left corner different from pressing the button on the top of the device? I must be missing something.  But I think that we are getting off-topic.  This thread is not discussing ways to return to the Control Panel.  It is titled "Changing volume and/or Widgets". 

...I still think we should be able to swipe to change widgets.  I don't want to have to return to the control panel.  I just want a direct way to manually alternate between the clock... and the weather report. 

But I guess it does not really matter too much -- now that the "flip clock" widgets were taken down.  Without them, my Chumby has lost most of its appeal.  hmm

gschroder wrote:

How is pressing a little spot in the upper left corner different from pressing the button on the top of the device? I must be missing something.  But I think that we are getting off-topic.  This thread is not discussing ways to return to the Control Panel.  It is titled "Changing volume and/or Widgets".

It's an engineering thing that once they took it away, it affected the way my chumby works for me and knowing it was that much better before, it does answer an easier way to change widgets. Picture this, the way I generally use my chumby, is as a bedtime book. I'm laying in bed, chumby in the same spot a book would be, elbows resting on the bed and hands raised slightly like one would hold a book. I am holding it steady with my right hand and using a stylus for interacting with my left (this might be opposite for right handers). My right hand got no pressure before, it was just balancing the chumby. I can't even remember EVER using the top button, nothing happened from the top button. Every widget change took place with that tiny tap in the upper left with my left arm not having to move at all, and my right hand not getting stressed from counter pressure. That tap took me back to the control panel and to the arrowed list of widgets. NOW, every change requires raising my left arm up and over, holding tight with my right hand, pushing the button on top and that causes right hand tension which sounds silly but when you put 60 button pushes, holding steadys, that weren't necessary before and it WAS so simple, and all done from the front, I'll keep talking about how great it was. Hope that make sense.

aha.  It makes perfect sense.  I understand why the previous UI worked well for you -- and how it was used to change widgets.

I still just like the swipe.  wink  But it is fine that we don't agree because I don't use my Chumby in the same way you do.  I use it mainly as a bedside alarm clock (one that has the ability to wake me up to my favorite Seattle and LA radio stations broadcast over the internet)... and  once a day want to change widgets to look at the weather.  That is all.  So for me, a casual swipe is quite nifty.

I wish I knew more about Flash programming... because I would make a widget that did just that.  It would have a flip clock... and Weather Channel feed... all in one.  And then I could program in a swipe that would alternate which widget view was being displayed.  But unfortunately I do not have the technical skills to do it... so I have to keep hoping that some Chumby employee stumbles upon this thread and thinks that a swipe is a good idea.  smile

gschroder: Glad I made more sense on that go-around. Also, I'm with you...I think the swipe is also a great and doable thing and anything that leads to screen interaction for not having to touch that button on top is great. I only keep mentioning the "Upper Left Screen Tap Thingy" because Duane expects me to (HI DUANE!) and since not many knew that it WAS there before; I was just pointing out that it was at least one way that had already been invented. They just de-invented it. DARN!

Another vote for swiping to change widgets.

Best,

Andrew

For what it's worth, I like the idea the first person had with the motion sensor.
Press and tilt.
I do find it a pain to have to enter the control panel, then tap settings, then volume, then slide the bar. When I want the volume turned down, I want it now, not having to go through a secret handshake gester to get to it.  like when the phone rings, someone walks in the office, or it's early in the morning and the Chumby's volume is too high when I watch a video. Perhaps I am missng something, if there is a simpler way, please let me know.

As always, just my 2-cents and opnion, Matt

The Control Panel 2.7 Beta includes doing "next" and "previous" widget using the accelerometer - just hold the top button down. and tilt the device to the left or right.

It also supports heyartlady's hotspot as an easter egg.

For what it's worth, the Flickr widget let's you swipe the screen forward or back to move to the next/previous photo. This seems to work for a limited number of photos, which probably means that the widget downloads a limited number as a batch at one go. But in any event, it gives you the feel of how swiping would work with entire widgets (as well as creating a conflict, if swiping comes to mean both "next photo" and also "next widget," but I think every body recognizes the possibility of that sort of conflict).

22 (edited by heyartlady 2008-08-12 18:41:02)

Duane wrote:

The Control Panel 2.7 Beta includes doing "next" and "previous" widget using the accelerometer - just hold the top button down. and tilt the device to the left or right.

It also supports heyartlady's hotspot as an easter egg.

DUANE! It's me, for God's sakes...the dyslexic art teacher (I am NOT being insensitative. I REALLY am a dyslexic art teacher, so I am allowed to poke fun at my own weaknesses/strengths.)..tell me! What does that mean???? What's an easter egg? I don't have any thumbs! (I do actually have thumbs. I'm pretending to be that dog that can't do something extra special but can't because he doesn't have any thumbs! You've seen it.) Anyway, I've been out of town for a month, away from my husba...well...more importantly...my Chumby...and have I missed an update and if I've got my touch tap back and don't know it, I will just scream, so what do I do now and WHY didn't you tell me? HOW do I get there?

Fondly, Blake

23 (edited by gschroder 2008-08-13 08:28:00)

Thanks for the new functionality!  I still like my swipe idea... but I understand that it could conflict with existing widgets.  And this new functionality gives me exactly what I want: a way to switch from the clock to the weather widget... and back again... without having to go to the Control Panel. 

This feature + the return of the flip clock = one happy Chumby owner.

thanks for your time and attention, Duane.

An "easter egg" is extra, unofficial, functionality that one commonly finds in software, typically added by programmers outside of the base specification.

For instance, Microsoft Excel 97 had a flight simulator game embedded in it that was accessible through certain combinations of commands.

In the case of the hotspot, the information about it can be found here.  By placing a file with a particular name in a particular place, your hotspot is enabled.

DUANE! Did I mention that I LOVE YOU!! Anyway, I got the beta version you sent me to installed (or activated or whatever it's called. I can't do the part below. Can you do it for me? Can you tell me how. It's all greek to me. Thanks, B

To enable the hotspot, create a file "/psp/hostpot" with the coordinates of where you want the button, for instance, "0,0" will be in the upper left.  To remove the hotspot, simply delete the file. Changes will take effect when the Control Panel is restarted.
A simple procedure to enable the hotspot:
1) SSH into the chumby per the instructions on the chumby wiki
2) perform the commands:
Code:
echo 0,0 > /psp/hotspot
stop_control_panel
start_control_panel