Topic: Feature Suggestion: Skip an alarm

I would like to see night mode have a screen-based button that would allow me to skip the next scheduled alarm without leaving night mode.  I often wake up before my alarm goes off.  Right now, the only way that I can prevent the alarm from going off is to go into the control panel and unset the alarm.  This has two problems: 1) Going into the Control Panel lights up my whole room and annoys my wife; 2) I have to remember to reset the alarm the next night. 

Thanks.

Re: Feature Suggestion: Skip an alarm

That's tricky to do, but I'll forward the suggestion to Product Mangement.  Thanks!

ZeddZull wrote:

I would like to see night mode have a screen-based button that would allow me to skip the next scheduled alarm without leaving night mode.  I often wake up before my alarm goes off.  Right now, the only way that I can prevent the alarm from going off is to go into the control panel and unset the alarm.  This has two problems: 1) Going into the Control Panel lights up my whole room and annoys my wife; 2) I have to remember to reset the alarm the next night. 

Thanks.

I agree 100%.  "Cancel Next Alarm" would be fantastic.  Especially for those days you know you don't need to get up the next day because of an unusual holiday or irregular schedule.

Vice President of Duane's Chumby Buddies Inc, Pro-Clock faction                       Clocks are life; we all expire sometime.
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2565

Hello people!

I do not own a Chumby... but if it does what I need, I will buy one.

Here's my situation: I hate alarm clocks.  For years I had a huge problem being late, and almost always on Mondays.  This was because I would have my alarm on during the week, and then Friday night I would switch off the alarm so I could sleep in for the weekend.  This would require me to have to remember to switch it back on Sunday so that I can wake up for work.  Not such a good situation for me...

Then a few years back I finally discover 7-day (actually mine is a 5-2 day) alarm clocks.  Fixed that problem completely; my alarm automatically goes on the same time every mon-fri, and does not go off at all on Saturdays or Sundays unless I set a separate alarm which never affects the mon-fri schedule.  The issue that I later discovered was with holidays or just days that I decide to take off from work.  Again, if I wanted to sleep in for one of those days, I had to  turn off the mon-fri alarm and of course I'm back to having to remember to turn it back on once I've woken up... totally defeating the purpose of the wonderful alarm clock.

So, today I decide I'm going to go online and find an alarm clock (hopefully not a $200 one...) that has a "skip next alarm" button.  It would do exactly that; skip the next alarm without affecting anything else in the schedule.  Well guess what?  Unless I'm just horrible at finding things with Google, such an alarm clock does not exist!

In trying several different search strings, I eventually found my way onto this website, so I guess my question is, will this alarm clock do this for me?  And will I be able to "cancel next alarm" as easily as hitting one button?  Or would it be a matter of having to go into a schedule and pick a specific day and cancel the alarm for that day?

If the Chumby can do this, I will actually spend $200 for an alarm clock.  I get that to many people the device is so much more than that, but for me it is simply a means to an end (hopefully).  Frankly I think it's stupid that in this point in our technological evolution I am still battling this rediculously easy to solve problem...

P.S.  It looks like this feature was also suggested by Cecilia in another thread (referenced here: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2750).  Hopefully someone listened to her great suggestions and implemented them, because for me it's all I need this device to do... I could take or leave every other function aside from the alarm clock.

Hi - new to Chumby and the forums...I found this when searching to find out how to skip my alarm in the morning (I often wake before the alarm goes off). I couldn't find anything more recent, and it doesn't look like there is an easy way to do this yet.

Just wanted to also request this feature - it would be great to hear if this is in the works.

Thanks!

I vote for this one too.  I could have used it twice in the past week.

I like this idea.

I would also like button on the night mode screen that would restart the music timer. all it needs to do is start playing using the the last selection and timer setting. There are too many screen required to navigate to do this now.

8 (edited by burkhardi 2010-02-17 05:48:30)

I agree, it would be nice to have a button on the night mode screen to skip the next alarm
Examples:
#1: I have a weekday alarm set @ 4:30AM and my wife has a weekday alarm @ 6:00AM; the alarm goes off @ 4:30 and I hit snooze, then it sounds again and I hit snooze for a second time, then I get up before it sounds for the second snooze and have to sit there to wait until it sounds to turn off my alarm so it will not continue to wake my wife. If there was a “skip next event” button on the night mode screen, then when I got up before the second snooze went off, I could have use that button to skip the upcoming snooze and the alarm would not sound again until 6:00AM.

#2: my wife gets up before the 6:00AM alarm sounds and has to sit there to wait for it to sound (well I guess she could go into control panel and cancel it, but then has to remember later in the day to re-enable for the next day) so it will not go off whilst she is in the shower and wake our 2-year old twins. With the “Skip next event” option on the night screen, she could just select that button at 5:55 for example and the 6:00AM alarm would not sound for that day.

The other nice thing to have would to be able to skip an alarm for “x” amount of days/cycles via the alarm configuration screen.
For example, we are both off for a holiday (perhaps a Monday) and we don’t want either the 4:30AM or 6:00AM alarm to sound  for that day(the above skip next event would not work because it would skip the 4:30AM alarm but not the 6:00AM unless we woke up for  a tad after 4:30AM and before 6:00AM). So if in the alarm configuration screen where you can select to enable an alarm with the check box had an additional little box next to the enable box for each alarm called “skip” and once you select/tap/press it, it gives you an option (via drop down perhaps) to pick how many cycles to skip and then put the number in the box (verse a check mark) that would be great too.

Icing on the cake would be for the alarm screen (the one with the two options that you see once the alarm sounds (one to turn off the alarm and the other to snooze)) would mimic the current brightness mode of the device. So if the alarm went off in the day and the Chumby was in bright mode, then the alarm screen would be bright and if the alarm whet off at night and the Chumby was in night mode, then the alarm screen would be in night mode as to not illuminate the whole room.

Thanks, Matt

Caveat: The skip next event only applies to events with an alarm that sounds. So if you have you chumby change channels on it's own durring the day with a sllent alarm, then this function woudl not be skipped. But I am sure you get the idea..

UTGkar wrote:

I like this idea.

I would also like button on the night mode screen that would restart the music timer. all it needs to do is start playing using the the last selection and timer setting. There are too many screen required to navigate to do this now.

See if this work around works for you...
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=4756

Another idea along the alarm lines....since you can go to your web browser and put your chumby's IP address in and pull up your chumby's info, why can't they add something to allow me to set/change/add alarms right thru my web browser?

I had the day off from work today and tried the new skip alarm feature.  It worked great.  Thanks for adding this button.