1 (edited by Psyche 2006-10-28 08:53:00)

Topic: Flash Features for Chumby

Hi all !!
I was wondering if there is a list of all the commands to use 100% of our chumby potential (is possible of course). For example, how to get the moves, shakes, light etc...

Thx wink

ps : By the way, why do we have to develop widgets in 12FPS while in fact, we can go up to 16-17 ? It could be fun to use all the potential to be able to develop funny and interactive games.

ps2: Thanks a lot for the Chumby, this little thing is completly amazing, I long to be back home (still in travel back from MAX06) to do more. At the moment, i'm just doing some benchs.

Chumby Powa!

tongue

Re: Flash Features for Chumby

Psyche wrote:

Hi all !!
I was wondering if there is a list of all the commands to use 100% of our chumby potential (is possible of course). For example, how to get the moves, shakes, light etc...

I've expanded the wiki page on how to access the sensors from Flash.

ps : By the way, why do we have to develop widgets in 12FPS while in fact, we can go up to 16-17 ? It could be fun to use all the potential to be able to develop funny and interactive games.

At the moment, the widgets are not run standalone - they're loaded into another movie, which is set at 12fps.  When a movie is loaded into another movie, the parent's framerate prevails.  While we may lift this restriction in the chumby device itself (by running two Flash instances, one for the Control Panel and one for the widgets), it will still be required for compatibility with "virtual chumby" which will necessarily retain the current architecture.

In any case, these low end processors aren't capable of much higher framerates anyway.  It all depends upon what you're doing and how you're doing it.

Thanks a lot wink

tongue

4 (edited by Psyche 2006-11-05 14:32:16)

Another question, still about "features"...
Via our flash app, can we know if the alarm is turned on or off, and if ON, at what time...
And more : If this is possible, is there a way to change the alarm direcly via the widget, without having to jump to the menu etc... ?

Other > You gave lot of ways to access light, bend, display, and that's great. But, i've heard it was possible to detect shakes. Is that right ? And if yes, how ? Cause this could really be exciting ! ^^

tongue

The alarm is handled entirely by the Control Panel movie, and there's currently no external interface to it.  The alarm time is kept in the file /tmp/alarm_time, and is in minutes into the current 24-hour period.  A separate file at /tmp/alarm_enable has 0 or 1 depending upon whether the alarm is set.  These files are read when the Control Panel is started up at boot, but not otherwise monitored for changes.

I'll put external access to this on my list of things for the next version of the software.

The accelerometer is not in any of the chumbys that are currently in the field - only a couple of the internal prototypes have them, and the interface to them has not been finalized.  Once we have that information, we'll post it.

Snif... sad

By the way, I don't know if my Chumby is ill, but the time, even if the checkbox "get the time from internet" is checked, isn't very exact after few hours. And I have to go back to the menu to re-check and get the good hour (When I say it isn't exact, let's say it is within 5-15 minutes).

tongue

Interesting - is it always running fast, always running slow, or sometimes fast, sometimes slow?

Does it drift just a certain amount and then no more, or does it just drift more and more over time?

Does it show up in all the clocks consistently?

I think it drifts more and more. Because when I wake up the morning, it has something like 5-8 minutes late.
Well it's not a big problem, maybe the connexion isn't checked and then, it doesn't actualise the time every hour for example... I don't know.

tongue

Well, it's supposed to keep accurate time even if it loses its connection to the Internet.  Your clock should *not* be running slow no matter what.

If you let it run for two days, does it get 10-16 minutes behind?

We may have to swap out this unit to figure out what's going on if this is happening consistently.

I'll try to let it run for 2 days, with the checkbox cheked. I'll tell you the result wink

tongue

Oki, I can already see the change.
I launched my Chumby this morning at 11:00am, now it is 10:35pm and my chumby shows 10:32pm. So already nearly 3 minutes... weird !
I guess I have a problem with my Wifi, or this is the chumby that is going crazy... hmm

I'll let it run till tomorow...

tongue

Duane wrote:

The accelerometer is not in any of the chumbys that are currently in the field - only a couple of the internal prototypes have them, and the interface to them has not been finalized.  Once we have that information, we'll post it.

I guess I'm lucky because the one I have has the accelerometer.  Can you please post the interface to access this via Flash please.

I've added the accelerometer documentation to the wiki page here.

At this time, there are about 30 accelerometer-enabled chumbys in the field.

Psyche wrote:

Oki, I can already see the change.
I launched my Chumby this morning at 11:00am, now it is 10:35pm and my chumby shows 10:32pm. So already nearly 3 minutes... weird !
I guess I have a problem with my Wifi, or this is the chumby that is going crazy... hmm

I'll let it run till tomorow...

We found a bug in the kernel that used the wrong timescale to convert clock ticks to real time - the update should fix it.

Duane wrote:

I've added the accelerometer documentation to the wiki page here.

At this time, there are about 30 accelerometer-enabled chumbys in the field.

Thanks... works great.  See my app (okay, I'm not an artist): 8ball

Thanks!