Topic: How did you get to chumby?

I mean how did you find this site? My local friend had told me about this.

justicejayant

Re: How did you get to chumby?

General interest in open source software and the thought of open source hardware got me hooked.

Music Tames The Savage Beast

As does PHP and Perl.

I read something about it in either PC World or PC Magazine, close to 2 years ago.  I was so fascinated by the concept that I clipped the article & taped it to my computer desk.  Must have checked the site every week for news until I finally got mine last fall.

Chumby birthdate: 10/11/07

I honestly can not remember what article or newsletter I read that featured Chumby, but it was also close to 2 years ago. I signed up to be on the early adopters list and followed the forums until I convinced the wife I "needed" one of these for Christmas last year. Even she is impressed with what it can do and how much it has changed for the better just since getting it December.

-HuckFinn

I heard about Chumby on the Nabaztag rabbit forum, which has a great deal of grumbling about the sad state of development and support for the cute little rabbit.  Did a little reading about Chumby and ordered one the same day.

I seen it in a digg podcast awhile ago, I researched it, tagged along this forum for awhile then took the plunge. I couldn't be more happy with my chumby!

A guy I was working with mentioned it to me, I did some reading and then asked a friend in the USA to order it for me so I could collect it when visiting.

I *blush* actually clicked through a banner ad on Weather.com. After spending about 15 minutes on the site reading the info and forums I ordered one.

I was reading a post on a Mac forum somewhere about running Flash on the iPhone.  Someone posted saying you could do it on a Chumby, and I thought--what the hell is a Chumby?  I Googled it, checked out the site, thought about it for a couple of days, then ordered one!

I was doing some development with Flash Lite and Nokia phones. I was Googling stuff on the subject, and the Chumby hit my radar. I'm hooked.

Same story as quizengine.  I was doing Flash stuff (for a Cowon D2) and google showed a Chumby result.  I had been considering buying an internet tablet like the Nokia N810 but this looked much more interesting.  Ultimately, the flash development platform was largely why I hit the buy button.

I saw it on CNBC

justicejayant wrote:

I mean how did you find this site

I have been searching for the "perfect" alarm clock radio for years.

I was playing around with Roku for a while, I loved the internet radio of it, had tried a few other gadgets that said they had configurable alarms but really didn't.  While searching either the Roku or some other similar forum, I saw mention of Chumby and fell in love when I saw its configurable alarms WITH internet radio all in one package.  Sold my Roku and several other inadequate clock radio appliances I had been playing with and bought me a Chumby.  So far it's the closest thing I've found to perfect.  Not perfect yet, but much further along than any other appliance I've tried.

Vice President of Duane's Chumby Buddies Inc, Pro-Clock faction                       Clocks are life; we all expire sometime.
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2565

I was going through the old "TidBits" emails that I'd saved up, and trashed most of last year's... But picked one randomly to glance at first. The main story was about the Chumby. Two days later I bought my first (trial version, knowing I'd give it to my 9-year old nephew.)

I was hooked, and bought another for a different family member, and finally one for me. Who else wants one? I'm in that Chumby Mood!

[Grin!]

Tidbits: http://db.tidbits.com/issue/908

--Marc
  June 18, 2008 @ 8:55 PM
  N40° 46.565'  W073° 58.756'

Marc Silverman
New York City
SilverMarc.com | Chumbian.com
MY POWER TEAM: Macintosh, iPhone, Chumby, Geocaching, WheresGeorge.

I read something about it over a year ago, but didn't give it much thought.  Then there was a short feature on the Chumby in last month's US Airways in-flight magazine.  I took the magazine home, tore out the page, taped it to the cabinet above my computer desk, and kept hinting about Chumby being a great Father's Day present.

Chumby arrived a few days before Father's Day...

I drive my truck there every day :-)

Chumbymatt wrote:

I drive my truck there every day :-)

Ha ha! You "Chumbians" are really chumbthing!

--Marc

Marc Silverman
New York City
SilverMarc.com | Chumbian.com
MY POWER TEAM: Macintosh, iPhone, Chumby, Geocaching, WheresGeorge.

I've been thinking about a new clock radio for some time, but I wanted something more compact and modern than what I currently had ('80s model Radio Shack Cassette Clock Radio). I thought about an iRiver Clix because of the FM tuner and the alarms (in addition to the audio/video), but I could never find info on whether its alarms would play the radio (can they?).

I forget exactly where I first heard about Chumby -- probably in PCWorld.com or someplace similar. It sounded right - clock, alarms, MP3s, video, internet radio - and the price was ok. I bought my FIRST one in March of this year. I loved it, my wife loved it, and we're now a three-Chumby family (she's got one and I've got a second one for my office at work). We're happy.

-Carl

i remember my friend showing me this site a couple months ago.  I've always been somewhat of a gadget geek, and I was new to the whole digital 'widget' world, so a chumby would be a good answer to my need own a physical equivalent.  Sooo, ever since then i;ve been reading up on widgets, and eventually want to learn to program my own.  I too used to have a clock radio from Radio Shack,  glad those days are over.  That thing used to break down all the time.

I'm carpooling these days. Gas prices are a killer :-)

Some time ago I read an article in the USA Today about Chumby and I was hooked.  I thought what a great idea, having an net device that shows internet content that is of interest to you and not have to go to the computer to get it.

I am very happy with mine.

smile

My coworker pulled up the Chumby website and said "have you seen this?"  I don't think he had any idea how excited I would get over this little gadget. It took me a few months, but I finally bought one and I'm very happy with it. I even asked for a Chumby tshirt for my birthday!

Googling "internet radio player"

Chumby is somewhere down teh list

i heard about it a year or so again from either my geeky friends or maybe a geeky podcast, not sure. and i was very interested in it.

i had forgotten about it until my iHome died and i needed a new alarm clock. i really wanted something with a very very dim LED and a googled something to that effect and chumby was one of the first hits!