Re: Time bugs

Not sure if it's a powerline issue... wouldn't that also affect the other time devices around the house?

(No idea, I'm a software guy!)

So, the mystery deepens - eisenb11's returned chumby is keeping perfect time here.

I want to go where time is slower... I never have enough time.  I need a few more minutes a day.  So I guess it's just a touch north to Redondo Beach?

See you soon! tongue

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

29 (edited by eisenb11 2008-05-14 19:16:23)

@ Duane

A mystery indeed! I replied to Shawn with the network info you requested. While the network is used to synch (every 3AM normally), the worst that should do is cause the new time to be off by a little bit... while not synching, isn't the time disconnected from anything network related (i.e. running off an internal oscillator or something)?

@ Materdaddy

Aye, currently a Redondo Beach day is 24 hours and 24 minutes long! big_smile

(Losing 1 sec every minute = 24 min/day)

One thing to try - does it still lose time while it's in Night Mode?

Duane wrote:

One thing to try - does it still lose time while it's in Night Mode?

Yes, if I wake up, put it in night mode, go to work, and come back I'll be about 10 minutes behind actual time.

32 (edited by JScott 2008-06-05 16:42:06)

Count me as another vicitim of the time loss bug. It's been going on for "a while" but it's just now getting annoying enough for me to do something about it.

chumby:~# rdate -p time.chumby.com;date
Thu Jun  5 20:34:07 2008
Thu Jun  5 20:20:13 EDT 2008

Assuming that I got an ntp update at 3am local, looks like my chumby loses a bit less than a minute an hour.

Some other observations:
- Disabling and re-enabling the "set time from the Internet" option will reset the time correctly, but sometimes I get what looks like a crash when I try to re-enable set time from Internet  (black screen...don't remember exactly what happens after that, but I eventually wind up back at the control panel)
- I've had some wireless network flakiness (I'm on an Actiontec MI24 router w/Verizon FiOS service). Until I rebooted my router tonight I couldn't ping or ssh to the chumby (or any other wireless device). My chumby is frustratingly reluctant to join the wireless network (probably the router/AP's fault). I switched to static IP last night to see if that would make a difference on restart.
- My chumby spends a lot of time in night mode, though that doesn't appear to influence the time bug.

I'll leave the rdate/date command running overnight and see if I get anything interesting around 3am.

James

Follow-up: my chumby was a constant 13:54 behind time.chumby.com from when I started tracking (Thu Jun  5 20:43:34 2008
according to time.chumby.com) up until the 3am time sync. After that...the two times have been within 1sec.

So, either my network futzing has somehow fixed the problem, or it's more sporadic than I remembered. Before today I would've said that it happens every day.

My other observation is that I've had my chumby since Dec 07 and it hasn't always had a time problem. I thought it started happening after the software update a couple months back, but of course that doesn't mean that the update caused the problem.

James

Interesting - please keep an eye on this.  The frustrating thing for us is that we simply can't reproduce this problem at all, but we believe it's happening. Once someone can come up with a sequence of steps or configuration that consistently produces this behavior that we can reproduce here, we're ready to deal with it.

Duane wrote:

Interesting - please keep an eye on this.  The frustrating thing for us is that we simply can't reproduce this problem at all, but we believe it's happening. Once someone can come up with a sequence of steps or configuration that consistently produces this behavior that we can reproduce here, we're ready to deal with it.

Duane - I'll do what I can. You have my sympathy on this one; I've had to deal with enough Heisenbugs in my time to know how much fun they are.

James

Just as another  data point - I have a less then 1 week old chumby, no issues with the time (seems pretty much ok to me) and it apparently has a wee bit of drift:

chumby:/mnt/usb#  rdate -p time.chumby.com;date
Sat Jun  7 08:42:23 2008
Sat Jun  7 08:42:23 PDT 2008
chumby:/mnt/usb#  rdate -p time.chumby.com;date
Sat Jun  7 08:43:52 2008
Sat Jun  7 08:43:51 PDT 2008

(so you can see, my clock is a tiny wee bit slow since the 3am sync)

It does not seem to drift much more then that over the course of 24 hours.

My chumby has his screen *off* much of the day. It was off overnight.

I'm having this same issue on both my chumbys, was there a resolution for this?

This bug is caused by using WPA2/AES - we're working on it.  Other Wifi security methods do not seem to have the problem.

See this thread.

If you'd like to try the fix for this problem, please see this thread.