Topic: Remoter WiFi Controllers

The first thing I thought of when I read about the Chumby was making a WiFi enabled device that could receive commands from the Chumby, then activate contact closures to turn things on or off. I think it would be great to wake up in the morning and start my coffee maker with my alarm clock or turn the heater on in the bathroom on cold mornings.

It would probably be easier to do this by sending the commands to a local PC then having it activate devices over wiring like you can buy at your local electronics store.

Come to think of it though, the wireless device would be nice for controlling my ceiling fan so I could wire the light switch to only control the light, especially if it were small enough to fit in the housing. I hate having to find the pull cord in the dark because the missus had the fan on during the day with the light off.

I'm sure there are other uses for this. Any thoughts?

Re: Remoter WiFi Controllers

Actually, there is a hacker sensor package (HSP) that was designed to help enable projects like the ones you suggest here. One of the first applications designed with the chumby hacker sensor package is a telerobotics device. One chumby uses the HSP's accelerometer that senses tilt, and the other chumby has a servo driver, also available on the HSP. The two communicate over an ad-hoc UDP connection. The servo motor's angle is adjusted by the tilt on the other chumby, thus actuating the head angle of a stuffed animal.

Once chumby is available in volume, I hope to make the hacker sensor package widely available to enable fun hardware projects like yours!

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

Right on!  My first thought is that Chumby can be the remote for a home automation system using X10 or ZigBee.  You will pay thousands for a ZigBee system from Control4, but with a ~$150 Chumby, could probably implement a very complete home automation system for < $1000.

you could use a gumstix pc to control a bunch of stuff. just put a gumstix in your kitchen, and wire sensors and crap to things like a coffee maker.

or you could get a second chumby, h4x0r the hacker board, and do the same thing, via wi-fi.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

If we can put zigbee on the chumby (not sure if it's possible...) , then Chumby may be able to hack into a control 4 system and run the house. I guess that they will have a huge amount of proprietry stuff in the way to block us, but they do use standard wifi to stream audio, and standard zigbee to deliver control codes to everything from the stereo to the lightswitches.

its whether there is the demand for a control 4 system.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby