Topic: Flash for Dummies

OK...I'd like a simple answer to this question....

I would like to have a go at creating a Flash animation.

Flash8 retails for A$1600 and they don't have it on my network...so I will not get to touch the real thing in the forseeable future.

Is there another way I could create a flash cartoon for chumby? Any simple OpenSource solutions? (Is there something on the wiki that could help me?).

Thank you.

Re: Flash for Dummies

nothing comapres to the real flash 8. the opensource ones are a bit rubbish. use the demo for 30days.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

For cartoon style animations the Flash authoring tool is pretty much all you have.
You can probably try to find a copy of Flash MX instead of Flash 8 since the Chumby only supports Flash 7 anyway.

And as Chedabob says you can download and use the "full thing" for 30 days. If you can figure out how to make animations with Flash (I still for the life of me can't smile) you are good to go.

If instead all you want to do is to create text animation or special effects there are a few free and/or cheap tools around.

Or if you prefer to create animations programmatically instead of using the "timeline way" all you need is an ActionScript compiler (and you can use MTASC and/or something like FlashDevelop that adds an IDE to it).

Hi Angela,

If all you're going to be doing is create animations, you can buy Flash 8 Basic. This is basically the same as the Pro version with the exclusion of some components.
You can also give ToonBoomStudio (http://www.toonboom.com/products/toonBoomStudio/) a try. This was made especially for creating toon like animations, exports Flash files and is currently only $299 (USD)

Grtz,
Serge

Thanks for the tips! Will explore options...

I probably should say that I actually love Adobe products and have been using them for 10 years +. For me and the web they are fantastic.

To explain my thinking track...marginally OT:

Did you read the story about Network Broken Limbs Syndrome? Apparently, in Uganda mobile phones are being distributed much faster than the construction of towers can take place. There is an epidemic of elderly people climbing trees for better reception and promptly falling out. 

"Hang on, I'll just try this branch over here! Is that better? Ooof!" *smirk*

(The story is not really true, but it's funny!)

OK...I'm getting to the point here...

Inexpensive, wireless devices are proliferating. The world is being "flattened" by technology. People in LDCs are going to want to create useful, culturally appropriate content for these devices. If we are going to give them the electronics, I feel we are obligated to follow up by providing F/LOS software and education to enable them to become active, participative citizens in the global online community.

Thank you for listening to my manifesto...now we will go back to regular chumby programming! smile