Topic: Negative Chumby review

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/31/th … -seen.html

I think we need to drop by and give some positive follow up comments and point out what he's missing.

MyridoM

When someone annoys me, it takes 42 muscles in my face to frown...but it takes only 4 muscles to extend my arm and b**ch-slap you!
http://haunterofthenight.com/ * new blog location

2 (edited by slave2thelight 2008-04-10 21:25:47)

Re: Negative Chumby review

Done.

Oh, wait.  You said "positive."  err...

Well, I delivered the beatdown.  I leave the happy thoughts to those less ill-tempered than myself.

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

Of course I left my .02cents in... I really do think a lot of people just dont get it...

Don't be too harsh on the guy - we get many negative reviews from people that have never actually seen or used a chumby.  We're more interested in negative opinions from people that *have* chumbys.

I have no idea why people are able to form such absolute opinions with a complete absence of actual knowledge or information, but that's what blogs are for.

A lot of people also don't see that the real value of Chumby is in the Chumby Network, regardless of the form-factor it's delivered in.  The chumby device is simply a vessel (with an intentionally unique industrial design -- I mean how else does a start-up get noticed within all the Apple fawning?) that delivers the Chumby Network.  Some will love the chumby for what it is and what it isn't, others just totally won't get it.  And, frankly, it is tough for someone to grasp the full potential without actually playing around with one.  But it's really all about the Chumby Network -- a personally selected "broadcast" of your favorite parts of the internet, available simply at a glance or simply "tuned into."  No point in playing ideological "whack a mole" with everyone who isn't into what we're doing.  Thanks for all of your support, everyone!

I do not suffer tech journalists who lack a fundamental understanding of technology.

Nonetheless, I'm done.  I promise I'll play nice.  ;-)

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

It's terribly easy to pick apart anything if you are aiming to do just that and, let's face it, Chumby will have a lot of people doing that.
Anything new, that's trying to take elements that exist and to re-shape them into a new form is going to get criticism. Personally, I don't need the negative reviews to tell me what I know, that I like what I got.
As I stated in my first post, this isn't a perfect device but what I am seeing is that by opening the device to a community means that you're apt to get a lot of nit-picking about what it doesn't do, when, there has yet to be a product that does everything we want.
I can appreciate the criticism that CI is hoping that the users create the most of the content but, I don't think that's ever been sneaky or hidden, so, it is what it is.
It's good to get some idea about what people are not 'getting' or don't feel work but, in the end, the product will speak for itself, and that's all you can ask.

..c...