Topic: Almost daily network disconnecting

About two weeks ago I started to notice a problem that seems to occur almost every weekday as far as I can tell. At least I have noticed it almost every weekday. Some time in the morning, always after the alarm has gone off, my chumby will disconnect from the network and freeze on the default clock, I understand this is by design. What I find interesting is I have only seen this in the morning always between 710am EST and 8AM EST. I have no reason to think it is my local network as everything else that I runs off the network never has this problem and on the occasions when I still had the music feed playing it continued uninterrupted. I don’t know if this is a backend issue with reaching the chumby servers or what. Can you look into the possibility of some issue on the Chumby side (I find it really strange it seems to always happen in the same time window every weekday) and in a future software release add in support for reconnecting.

Re: Almost daily network disconnecting

Very interesting - that's around the same time that our server backup system kicks in.  I'll check with IT.

We have a version of the CP in QA that reconnects.

Cool, i cant dial down the actual time. but its starting to get bothersome. looking forward to a reconnecting version. hopefully it will attempt reconnection in quick intervals.

Please let me know if this occurs again tonight/tomorrow am [it shouldn't]

/mdkail

interesting - I am having the seem problem I think although I am not using the alarm.  It appears to be around 6 to 7 CDT for me which matchs.

I just thought it was a flaky network, sigh and reboot...

@DocSavage: did you experience the problem this morning as well?

/mdkail

I'm having this problem too.

I have to reconnect to my home network every night.

Its okay in the morning around 5:30 am, but at 9pm (the next time I have chumby time) It's not connected.

I just checked, and its not solved.

Mine's been doing it too, although I have not noticed when exactly.  I thought it was unlikely to be my internal network because I have a very strong signal where they Chumby sits.  It's gotten so annoying I was about to write a cgi script to ping chumby.com and restart the chumby if I get 100% packet loss.

9 (edited by MeinLein 2008-04-01 18:54:15)

Same problem here - I can't pin a time on it - I just know that I leave for work and it's ok, but when I get home *sometimes* it's on the default clock.  When I say sometimes, I mean 2-3-4 days in a row it will disconnect, then for a day or maybe 2 where it's ok.  I'm running two chumbys in the same room - so same AP, and isp connection.  They don't always fail together.  I mean sometimes one fails and the other doesn't.  Sometimes both are disconnected when I get home.

10 (edited by wayn3w 2008-04-01 19:46:39)

I have to chime in ... odd thing is, I have two chumbies and they both lose connections, but at different times.  I can never catch it happening.  At least one of them loses connection when I am at work.

wayn3w

It did not happen yesterday (4/1, no joke) but it did happen today. between 7:11am EST and 7:36am EST.

I'm having the same problem with disconnecting wifi.  It's now 10:42 east coast, and I've seen my chumby drop the wifi signal and reconnect 5 times in the last 15 minutes.  Once it restarts it goes right back to the channel I was viewing.  It's been doing this for at least 3 or 4 days.  I wasn't paying attention to it as much until I started seeing these posts.  It seems for me it goes on during the mid-day times.

I have two chumbys.  The one mentioned above is at work.  The one in my home has also been losing it's wifi, but I don't know how often it tries to reconnect, since I'm not home when it happens.  I know it happened yesterday because when I came home I had to manually reconnect to my access point.

I've noticed my problems started once 1.5.0 was installed.  It's on both chumbys.

The same problem to my chumby. I think it occurs since the last update, about one week ago. But I have to say, I always switch off power of my WiFi-modem, when I leave my home for work. With the former firmware, the chumby connected itself after switching on the WiFi-modem after returning home. With the new firmware I hve to reconnect manually.

My chumby drops the connection many times a day, and I have to restart to get it to connect again.

Mine has dumped twice in the past two days.  It didn't do it before the software update.  I was going to let it go because I've got a new Airport Extreme (Apple has problems, too.... ) but yeah... the new software update kicks my chumby's a**.

Some time between midnight and 5am... nervous, eh?  Good thing I haven't needed the alarm!

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

mdkail -

It was certainly disconnected this morning...

This morning my Chumby was dumb and offline...
Grrrh..

Please see my post in this thread.