Re: How to load alternate themes.

If you can create a theme like the old sony theme where time and date are on the side and weather with the widget in the large right side so it is view able i would be down with donating money! This busy interface with ultra tiny widget space isnt great. So if you are in for making it like it was count me in!

27 (edited by drexful 2017-08-10 19:07:42)

Crazysal wrote:

If you can create a theme like the old sony theme where time and date are on the side and weather with the widget in the large right side so it is view able i would be down with donating money! This busy interface with ultra tiny widget space isnt great. So if you are in for making it like it was count me in!

Look here to load up a Sony theme.

https://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9758

Owner of three C1's, Infocast 3.5, Sony Dash C10, and Infocast 8. A tinkerer at heart and IT director by trade.

Crazysal wrote:

You're looking for the "appview" theme, which I have running on mine by following the simple instructions 'drexful' linked to above.

Works like a breeze. Installed it with scp and it works just fine. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Duane, Drexful, you've made a Dash owner (AND his wife) VERY happy :-)

Thank you'all

Alaric11

This all sounds great but I'm not a computer programmer and I'm a bit confused. I would like to get back to the appview on my activated chumdash. I've gotten as far as the SSHD screen but where I'm lost is after that. Where would I be able to type these commands? All that happens when I press SSHD is the blue octy pops up but there's not keyboard for me to type the commands. What am I missing?

31 (edited by jhonryan 2017-08-11 09:53:55)

atl2ny1 wrote:

This all sounds great but I'm not a computer programmer and I'm a bit confused. I would like to get back to the appview on my activated chumdash. I've gotten as far as the SSHD screen but where I'm lost is after that. Where would I be able to type these commands? All that happens when I press SSHD is the blue octy pops up but there's not keyboard for me to type the commands. What am I missing?

You need an ssh client.  Putty is good and fairly simple.  Google for "putty ssh download".  You would install that on one of your home computers.  Dash doesn't open a terminal.  Pushing the SSHD only turns ON the SSH service on the dash.

The easiest way for you to get appview would be to do the following:

• copy the appview theme to a thumb drive as "theme.swf" (you may need to change the file name)

• Put the thumb drive in your dash

• go to another computer and connect to your dash via SSH (you can get the IP of your dash from the Network option on your dash menu -- username: root password: (no password))

• Once you are logged in via a SSH terminal, type the following command:  cp /mnt/usb/theme.swf /psp/theme.swf;sync

• (mind the spaces and case in the command)

• Reboot your dash

Hope that helps!

jhonryan wrote:

[*]Once you are logged in via a SSH terminal, type the following command:  cp /mnt/usb/theme.swf /psp/theme.swf;sync[/*]

Hope that helps!

One other thing:  login is root, no password.

riblet2000 wrote:

One other thing:  login is root, no password.

Thanks!  Fixed!

You can also use scp (pscp on Windows) to transfer files directly.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

drexful wrote:
Crazysal wrote:

Look here to load up a Sony theme.

https://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9758

That worked GREAT!!!! I am happy to have my Dash looking familliar again!!! thank you!

jhonryan wrote:
  • Reboot your dash

Instead of rebooting, you could do:

killall chumbyflashplayer.x

which loads up faster than a reboot.
but if you want to reboot, the 'reboot' command works... since it's a pain to pull the plug on the bottom of the dash.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Thanks Chumdash team et. all. I learned how to ssh my way to Chumdash success. I am using
the appview_theme just like before Sony pulling the plug. I never thought in a million years that
I would ever see the Dash run again. Thank you all.

diamaunt wrote:

which loads up faster than a reboot.
but if you want to reboot, the 'reboot' command works... since it's a pain to pull the plug on the bottom of the dash.

I actually wrote a script that does that (copy theme I want then does a killall) but I was trying to keep it painfully simple with as little console interaction as possible for someone who may never have even opened up a dos window, never mind a linux console session.

Still working on trying to have the dash invoke the script rather than ssh in and run it.

jhonryan/riblet --

Thanks for your help. Can't quite get this to work.

Three quick follow ups: there are two items in the applauncher theme (a JPG and a KMP). Should both be named theme.swf or should they be included in a folder named theme.swf?

After I enter the command in putty on my pc I get this message (see below). Did it work? Or do I need to do something else?

Where does the theme show up? In the theme menu?

Thanks

BusyBox v1.6.1 (2016-03-09 17:09:05 PST) multi-call binary

Usage: cp [OPTION]... SOURCE DEST

Copy SOURCE to DEST, or multiple SOURCE(s) to DIRECTORY

Options:
        -a      Same as -dpR
        -d,-P   Preserve links
        -H,-L   Dereference all symlinks (default)
        -p      Preserve file attributes if possible
        -f      Force overwrite
        -i      Prompt before overwrite
        -R,-r   Recurse directories
        -l,-s   Create (sym)links

40 (edited by riblet2000 2017-08-12 10:05:58)

wedly23 wrote:

Three quick follow ups: there are two items in the applauncher theme (a JPG and a KMP). Should both be named theme.swf or should they be included in a folder named theme.swf?

The theme filename is applauncher_theme.swf.  Copy that to theme.swf.

Assuming that applauncher_theme.swf is on the USB drive on the Dash, the command should look like this:

cp /mnt/usb/applauncher_theme.swf /psp/theme.swf;sync

Please note the space between cp and /mnt and the one between .swf and /psp.

Themes loaded like this will not show up in the menu.  You have to do this each time you change to one that did not come with the Chumbification.  Once you get the hang of it, it's actually faster this way. smile

wedly23 wrote:

jhonryan/riblet --

Thanks for your help. Can't quite get this to work.

After I enter the command in putty on my pc I get this message (see below). Did it work? Or do I need to do something else?

Where does the theme show up? In the theme menu?

Thanks

BusyBox v1.6.1 (2016-03-09 17:09:05 PST) multi-call binary

Usage: cp [OPTION]... SOURCE DEST

Copy SOURCE to DEST, or multiple SOURCE(s) to DIRECTORY

Options:
        -a      Same as -dpR
        -d,-P   Preserve links
        -H,-L   Dereference all symlinks (default)
        -p      Preserve file attributes if possible
        -f      Force overwrite
        -i      Prompt before overwrite
        -R,-r   Recurse directories
        -l,-s   Create (sym)links

I tried and tried to get this right myself. I wanted  the SONY "appview theme" which you might want also.
I unzipped the appview_theme.zip file. There are 3 files. One is named appview_theme.swf.
This is all I used for the cp command. So this is what I typed into my command window on my windows
laptop.
cp appview_theme.swf /psp/theme.swf; sync

Good luck and keep trying! P.S. my spacing on the command might be wrong. I didn't need the app launcher named file for anything. I think that maybe another Theme.

-

I got it. Thank you eastdiamond and riblet (plus chumby team and everyone else).

I'm so grateful its working again!

eastdiamond wrote:

I tried and tried to get this right myself. I wanted  the SONY "appview theme" which you might want also.
I unzipped the appview_theme.zip file. There are 3 files. One is named appview_theme.swf.
This is all I used for the cp command. So this is what I typed into my command window on my windows
laptop.

Good luck and keep trying! P.S. my spacing on the command might be wrong. I didn't need the app launcher named file for anything. I think that maybe another Theme.

If your appview_theme.swf file is on the root of the thumb drive for your SSH console session is not your command wont work.  It would need to look like this:

cp /mnt/usb/appview_theme.swf /psp/theme.swf;sync

jhonryan wrote:
eastdiamond wrote:

laptop.

If your appview_theme.swf file is on the root of the thumb drive for your SSH console session is not your command wont work.  It would need to look like this:

cp /mnt/usb/appview_theme.swf /psp/theme.swf;sync

Your welcome wedly23. And a big thanks to jhonryan for the commands and posting this theme change. Love it!

Glad the themes worked out for you guys smile

Owner of three C1's, Infocast 3.5, Sony Dash C10, and Infocast 8. A tinkerer at heart and IT director by trade.

Thanks everyone who brought my dash to the look it had prior to Sony killing it! Simply amazing!

Thank you all for everything!  I not only have a working ChumDash, but now have my cozy and familiar appview theme back!

Sorry if i've missed it, but if you convert it back to the Sony theme can you still access Chumby apps or does Pandora work?

Chumby apps work, Pandora doesn't.  That's something unrelated to the themes.

50 (edited by drexful 2017-08-13 16:15:21)

ASDadam wrote:

Sorry if i've missed it, but if you convert it back to the Sony theme can you still access Chumby apps or does Pandora work?

Chumby apps work, but Pandora will need to be added to the music list. I am currently working on a fix for it.

Edit: Scratch that.. http://files.dash.sel.sony.com/external … ources.xml is down so I won't be able to do this. Hopefully Duane can add the code back into the control panel so we can load Pandora again with the Chumby source xml