Topic: Support for the B7/B70

I have a quick question will I be able to have Chumby work on my sony dash model HID-B70 or will this only work on the C10.
My B70 still works and I would like to know if I will be able to have Chumby work like the C10 .  Also does anyone know the difference between the two models.

Thanks

Re: Support for the B7/B70

ealexander wrote:

I have a quick question will I be able to have Chumby work on my sony dash model HID-B70 or will this only work on the C10.
My B70 still works and I would like to know if I will be able to have Chumby work like the C10 .  Also does anyone know the difference between the two models.

Thanks

Only the C10 at this time. If an exploit can be found for the B70 it might be Chumbified in the future.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Duane wrote:

It doesn't actually replace the Sony firmware, it installs some files that intercept the boot process of the Sony firmware to run the chumby software instead of the built-in software.

You will be putting files on a USB drive and boot the device normally, then be presented with a screen to install the software onto the device.  You will be required to have the stock firmware 1.7.1526 installed on the device already.

Will it need to boot from the USB drive every time it has to be booted?

caseyatbt wrote:

Will it need to boot from the USB drive every time it has to be booted?

No, once the software is installed, it will be able to boot without the USB drive inserted.  If, however, you perform a factory reset, you will have to reinstall it, since the factory reset will erase it.

Hello
I thank you for the reply
And where can I find the software? So I can try it.

xmesutm wrote:

Hello
I thank you for the reply
And where can I find the software? So I can try it.

It's in beta test.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

7 (edited by cyraxote 2017-07-26 22:11:43)

I have a question or two.

First, the firmware version on my Dash seems to be 1.8.50, which doesn't really make sense given the 1.7.1526 that I see elsewhere. (Unless my expectation that newer firmware would have higher numbers is incorrect.)

Second, will the Sony account and so forth matter with the new software? This particular Dash was my Mom's, and she doesn't want to deal with it, but the Sony account is in her name with an e-mail address to which she no longer has access.

Third, if I restore this to factory settings, I'm guessing I'll be unable to set up an account. So should I not do that?

Thanks!

cyraxote wrote:

I have a question or two.

First, the firmware version on my Dash seems to be 1.8.50, which doesn't really make sense given the 1.7.1526 that I see elsewhere. (Unless my expectation that newer firmware would have higher numbers is incorrect.)

Where are you seeing that?  (also, 1.8something is higher than 1.7something)

cyraxote wrote:

Second, will the Sony account and so forth matter with the new software? This particular Dash was my Mom's, and she doesn't want to deal with it, but the Sony account is in her name with an e-mail address to which she no longer has access.

Third, if I restore this to factory settings, I'm guessing I'll be unable to set up an account. So should I not do that?

The sony account and connection is completely immaterial with the chumdash patch.
There's no reason to restore to factory settings, all that will do is lose your wifi connection.

The device info screen says:

CP version: 4.5.21
Updater: 1.0.04
FW: 1.8.50 (1.00)

Also, I meant that because 1.8.50 is higher than 1.7.1526, I would expect it to be newer. That seems not to be the case?

Is this a HID-C10?

That sounds like it might be a HID-B7 or HID-B70, not a HID-C10.

cyraxote wrote:

Also, I meant that because 1.8.50 is higher than 1.7.1526, I would expect it to be newer. That seems not to be the case?

Sorry, my bad, I misread what you were saying.

It's an HID-B70. That's the only one that will be compatible with the "chumdash" patch, right?

No, we do not currently have a solution for the B7 or B70 units.  They were developed by a completely different company and we have not yet found a way to install or run alternative software on them.  We have not given up on it, however.

The patch we're doing, including the unblocking, is for the HID-C10 only.

15 (edited by cyraxote 2017-07-27 12:21:40)

OK. I must have been confused yesterday. I have a C10 as well, which is at 1.7.1526. Does this mean that the B70 won't get the bricking patch, because its FW version is already higher than 1.7.16xx?

(I will say that I like the built-in battery in the B70)

We have no idea what may or may not happen with the B7 and B70, only Sony knows.

The relative numbers of the firmware are meaningless, since the HID-C10 and HID-B7/70 were developed by different companies.

They have completely different processors (MIPS for the C10, ARM for the B7) and different versions of Linux. The middleware may have some similarities in structure, but had completely separate development and update histories.

In short, it is easier to reverse engineer the C10 because it was based on the original Chumby design and software, whereas the B7/70 were in no way originally tied to Chumby and have a completely different hardware and software system.  smile

It is indeed malicious and i received a memo this week concerning the end of web services on my ps vita, ps3 and my sony bravia  because they want to concentrate on the ps4  ... sony ks really starting to get on my nerves

Bron wrote:
riblet2000 wrote:

The Dash will not come up in anything other than default clock mode without going through the authentication process or having the Blue Octy software available to redirect to the Chumby servers.  Since this gets it off Sony's servers I can't imagine why they would do anything to prevent the "hack".

At this point Sony would be in a rather precarious legal position if the Chumbification is released and they do something to block it. THAT is a deliberate, malicious act compared to sloppy programming of the EOL update.  I don't see their legal department giving it a thumbs-up, but I've seen corporations do stupider things.

I vote release it and deal with whatever Sony does, if anything.

I agree. My guess is that SONY really does not give a damn one way or the other. They just want to be rid of the support costs. I suspect they'll leave their servers up until someone there asks "Can I use this box for something else?" and their boss says "Sure, why not."

I really don't think they're putting too much thought into this. So I would think the risk of them trying to jam-up the fix is low. I sure hope so, anyway. In my opinion, the only reason the Dash units were saved last year was because a techie there took pity and fixed the problem. I doubt if there was even much discussion there about it. Afterwards, it bubbled up to management (still just guessing) and they said, what? We still support those things. Waste of money. Get rid of them.

So unless there's some funky legal issue, I don't think they will really care one way or the other.

seanix wrote:

...unless there's some funky legal issue, I don't think they will really care one way or the other.

Sony has a long history of treating their customers like criminals. They also like to protect their I.P. so I would not put anything past them.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Duane wrote:

The B70 still has a lot in common with the C10 and other chumby devices, however some critical parts of the boot up sequence are different.

This biggest issue that's preventing us from getting into the device is that it does not seem to mount a USB dongle until it is needed (i.e. you select "Music"=>"USB", or you tap the screen in "Special Options" to install new firmware), and not at boot time, and it mounts it in a different place in the filesystem ("media/usb" vs "/mnt/usb").

Pardon my ignorance in advance but, I wonder if there would be some way to trick the device into running a script on the usb stick that would then force reboot with USB mount enabled.  I know that when it comes to jailbreaking/rooting devices like the wii, what appears to be a save game file or a message from the nintendo message server then turns out to execute an installation script for the homebrew channel.

Just trying to figure out if something can be made to "look" like an MP3 but, with some special command at the tail end that somehow sets the usb mount point properly or something.

Again, I am no engineer and I have a C10 so, it is a moot point for me personally.  Just an idea.