1 (edited by webmonkees 2007-11-17 22:46:35)

Topic: photobucket stuck on one album

I initially set it up to load my account, chumby didn't find any public pictures , so I set one sub-album  to public, that worked...
then I re-set that album to private and authenticated the channel- but it's still loading that same folder over and over.

I've got about 50 folders on there, so it's got plenty of images to work from if it ever gets to them..
from looking at the photobucket site, i

f I was to guess, it's just loading images from the first page (about 24) and looping.
I've tried changing the sort order, number of thumbnails, but it keeps showing that same folder..
There's bound to be some persistent data that's not getting reset, either the chumby, the channel, or photobucket itself.

Any Ideas?

Re: photobucket stuck on one album

Here's what I'd try - reboot the chumby, and see if you get the stuff you're expecting.

The chumby follows the caching directives that come with the reponses from servers - if a server says the data is good for, say, 3 hours, then it normally won't fetch new data for that time, even if that data has changed on the server (although it might if it runs out of cache and throws away some data).

If that's what's going on here, then there's really nothing the chumby can do - it's doing exactly what the server said to do.  It *could* ignore the cache directives, but then all these chumbys would be pounding these servers, which is Bad Nettiquete and could result in sites banning fetches from chumbys.

If rebooting does *not* resolve the problem then we'd have to do some research to see who's not doing what - and that would *still* eliminate the chumby itself, since it would still be doing exactly what the servers told it to do.  For instances, it's possible that a server might only refresh its content feeds on some regular schedule, not necessarily when you've changed something.

3 (edited by webmonkees 2007-11-18 13:06:59)

Thanks for the quick response on this; Chumby's been restarted, many times, shut down, channels erased, put back in.. For some reason the photobucket page it reads from is always the same pictures as day one.  As far as the photobucket site goes, on Saturday, I changed my album preferences to go from oldest to newest, and changed the per-page listing from 24 to 40. No change. As far as I can tell, it's loading the 24 images that were most recently uploaded, so it's on the photobucket side.. but I don't know when their 'caching directive' changes, but it hasn't done anything new on that since then.

Okay, did some experiments and puploaded new images on photobucket. they showed up on the chumby, so it's definitely something on photobucket's side; because it it was showing images based on my current oldest- pictures first  settings, those pictures woudn't have shown up.

I know this is kinda trivial, but it's one of the more interesting things so far to show off to other folks..

hi webmonkees

photobucket defines 'most recent' as most-recently-uploaded. the widget fetches your most recent photos (approximately 20) and cycles them. as you learned through experimentation, how you arrange and order your photos on photobucket.com has no effect on what the widget displays. a future widget may allow you to display a particular album (regardless of most-recent status).

adam wrote:

the widget fetches your most recent photos (approximately 20) and cycles them.

Why is the widget limited to "approximately" 20 - is that a function of Photobucket/Flickr or the widget?

I have an Xmas party coming up and I'd like to show off my Chumby. I've got about 70 private photos from the last year that I'd like to show on either (or both) Flickr or Photobucket widgets. So far I've split the album in half between them and am thusly able to see about 45 of the 70 pics within the 2 widgets. I've been pondering making some of the pics public with some nutty tag like "cxx0223by" (or any other unlikely string of characters) in order to be able to see the full set of 70 but that is such a kludge I'm reluctant to do it. Any suggestions?

l smile Chumby! Thanks!

I am revivng this topic, since even with the latest widget, the problem persists. I customize it online to show only 1 album, yet it shows only 20 particular photos of it. It has been like this for the past month! I really need to fix this, since the device will be my mother's gift for Christmas and she will love to have plenty of pictures. smile
Thanks!